Power failure=Suffocate?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Cowboyup

Power failure=Suffocate?

Post by Cowboyup » Wed May 10, 2017 9:00 pm

Been using my Resmed S10 for about 2 months. I sleep about 8 hrs a nite and my AHI went from 78 to less than 1. I use the Phillips Amara View full face mask.

What happens if the power goes out? Could I suffocate? Should I buy a computer UPS system or set up a power failure alarm to wake me up!

Thank you!

TASmart

Re: Power failure=Suffocate?

Post by TASmart » Wed May 10, 2017 9:11 pm

Opinions vary. I believe that you would wake up and take the mask off. What happens if you roll over into your pillow and cannot breathe? Ya wake up. In other words, too much worry about too little of chance for anything this dire to happen.
All posts reflect my own opinion based on my experience and reading.
Your mileage may vary
Past performance is no guarantee of future results
Consult with your own physician as people very

palerider

Post by palerider » Wed May 10, 2017 9:27 pm

Cowboyup wrote:Been using my Resmed S10 for about 2 months. I sleep about 8 hrs a nite and my AHI went from 78 to less than 1. I use the Phillips Amara View full face mask.

What happens if the power goes out? Could I suffocate? Should I buy a computer UPS system or set up a power failure alarm to wake me up!
the anti-asphyxiation valve (check your manual) in your mask opens, and you breath room air through that, until the machine starts up again, or you wake up and take the mask off.

all full face masks have an AA valve, masks that don't cover your mouth rely on your naturally opening your mouth to get more air if you're not getting enough through the nose.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

TASmart

Post by TASmart » Wed May 10, 2017 9:39 pm

I was thinking there was an AA valve, could not find it in my manual. It's probably there, just could not find it. Thanks for the verification.
All posts reflect my own opinion based on my experience and reading.
Your mileage may vary
Past performance is no guarantee of future results
Consult with your own physician as people very

palerider

Post by palerider » Wed May 10, 2017 10:12 pm

TASmart wrote:I was thinking there was an AA valve, could not find it in my manual. It's probably there, just could not find it. Thanks for the verification.
page 3.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Cowboyup

Post by Cowboyup » Wed May 10, 2017 10:27 pm

Palerider and TA,

Thank you for that. I never read the manual prior to your post. Great info. I found the AA valve. And a great reminder to read the instructions...thanks again.

cands

Post by cands » Thu May 11, 2017 1:17 am

Hi there,
I too have the Airsense 10 and the Amara View.
I was concerned when I started therapy about power failures and suffocation. (It was an irrational fear).

Here is something for you to try tonight: Leave your machine off and attach your mask. Breathe normally. See, no problem.

I have actually slept right through a couple of power failures.

If the emergency valve somehow malfunctioned, I'm sure we would just wake up and rip the mask off. (at least I hope so. )

Sheriff Buford

Post by Sheriff Buford » Thu May 11, 2017 3:27 am

Over the years, the electricity in my house has shutdown many times. As Pale said, you can still breath thru the mask, but it is more difficult and it has woke me up really fast. I wouldn't worry about it.

Sheriff

Post by Guest » Thu May 11, 2017 4:50 am

cands wrote:I have actually slept right through a couple of power failures.
It has been just the contrary for me. When the power went off I immediately woke up. It seemed like the noise (fans or motors) just were slowing to a stop as I woke up.

For others still concerned or who want to continue sleeping when the power goes out you can build yourself a battery setup to power your cpap. What else you gonna do in the dark anyway?

Hannibal 2

Post by Hannibal 2 » Thu May 11, 2017 6:32 am

What about mouth tapers with nasal masks?

Where have you been? It's alright we know where you've been!"
(You've been in the pipeline...)

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Thu May 11, 2017 6:45 am

Cowboyup wrote:What happens if the power goes out?
If you continue sleeping, you start having apneas because your treatment is not working.

I use a power failure alarm - https://www.amazon.com/POWER-RELIANCE-C ... +out+alarm

Post by Guest » Thu May 11, 2017 7:45 am

Hannibal 2 wrote:What about mouth tapers with nasal masks?
God Bless them
I honestly think the brain will wake them up. It's called survival instinct, leave a pull tab.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Thu May 11, 2017 8:12 am

Hannibal 2 wrote:What about mouth tapers with nasal masks?
First night I ever taped my mouth we had a thunderstorm and the power went out. Yep..very first night of taping.
I woke up not so much from any distress breathing but from the quiet.
A person can move enough air through just the vent holes if they have to. It's not easy but it can be done. I once did an experiment using the nasal pillow mask and the machine off to see how long I could be comfortable with just the exchange of air through the vent holes...I got bored at 30 minutes and ended the experiment.
Besides...tape isn't going to set up like cement...most tape seals can be broken with a little mouth opening fairly easily unless someone is using gorilla duct tape. When I was taping I could easily open my mouth and break the seal with a good yawn.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

gregoryjames

Post by gregoryjames » Thu May 11, 2017 10:21 am

ChicagoGranny wrote:
Cowboyup wrote:What happens if the power goes out?
If you continue sleeping, you start having apneas because your treatment is not working.

I use a power failure alarm - https://www.amazon.com/POWER-RELIANCE-C ... +out+alarm
This was my first thought to.. I think the larger concern would be for those with having severe apeneas without the treatment as opposed to suffocation.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Thu May 11, 2017 12:26 pm

gregoryjames wrote:This was my first thought to.. I think the larger concern would be for those with having severe apeneas without the treatment as opposed to suffocation.
Suffocation in dribs and drabs.