Allergies and CPAP

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Jeanne Ellen

Allergies and CPAP

Post by Jeanne Ellen » Sat May 06, 2017 9:56 am

Does anyone else have trouble with CPAP when allergy season starts? I've been using CPAP since last August and it was finally working great for me. I have a very low pressure setting, 6.5, but I'm able to sleep at least 7 hours every night, very low AHI (always under 10), and I feel good during the day. I even thought my allergy problem to trees, grass, dust, was getting better. However, lately I've been having trouble staying asleep, and I think it's due to the horrible allergy season we're having here in northern California now. I take allergy shots and use nasal sprays and Claritin, but I find that I have to increase my dosage and the frequency of my shots, I've also tried increasing the pressure on my machine from 6.5 to 7, but I can't seem to tolerate that. Is this a common problem?

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Re: Allergies and CPAP

Post by chunkyfrog » Sat May 06, 2017 10:06 am

Are you in an area affected by the recent fires? Smoke is a nearly universal respiratory irritant,
but is a serious factor for anyone with even minor respiratory problems.
We in eastern Nebraska were recently in a respiratory watch due to the intentional range fires in Kansas.
Even the primary schools had indoor recess for several days.

NadiaK

Post by NadiaK » Sat May 06, 2017 10:28 am

I can totally relate to your post. I take daily allergy medicine but all of April was just horrible for me. I was using additional over the counter sinus medication, nasal sprays and the neti pot. And still I was miserable. I also usually sleep well with my cpap but for most of last month woke up with headaches. This week finally things have calmed down a bit.

Jeanne Ellen

Post by Jeanne Ellen » Sat May 06, 2017 10:46 am

Whoops! I meant to say that my AHI is always under 1.0--not 10. That wouldn't be good. Nope, no fires around here, just crazy pollen. We had so much rain this past winter that the trees are going nuts and everything is green. Also, it's been very windy lately, which doesn't help. I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who's having some problems sleeping.

Julie

Post by Julie » Sat May 06, 2017 10:56 am

If your humidifier's turned up, bu† you're in a relatively high humidity area/climate, then turn it down or you'll feel congestion and cold symptoms. Others need just the opposite if they're in dry areas. I haven't used mine at all in years because of where I live except for a couple of wks in winter where central htg makes things very dry. And, if anything, my seasonal rhinitis is better than pre-Cpap.

SAG

Post by SAG » Sat May 06, 2017 11:02 am

Jeanne Ellen wrote: I even thought my allergy problem to trees, grass, dust, was getting better. However, lately I've been having trouble staying asleep,
What is it that is waking you?
Do you use Sleepyhead? How many times a night are you waking?
I hope you have filters in your cpap, I know the filters in mine help so much anytime but esp during pollen season.

btw - I think the max for claritin is 1/day.
Paraphrasing Ghandi - be the change you wish to see in the world.
Paraphrasing JohnnyGoodman - Beware the person who wishes to legislate the morality and the behavior of his neighbor.
https://cutt.ly/GbE7ltf

chunkyfrog

Post by chunkyfrog » Sat May 06, 2017 11:21 am

Have you asked your doctor about Kenalog?
Some people get a shot and it works all season.

Jeanne Ellen

Post by Jeanne Ellen » Sat May 06, 2017 12:08 pm

I've been using budesonide and azelastine sprays for a long time. Maybe it's time to talk to my allergy doctor about making a change. I've used steroid sprays in the past, but at some point we gave up on that, I forget why. Is Kenalog something new? I only take one Claritin per day, but I've been doubling up on the nasal sprays. Where I live there's very little humidity, but I felt the moist heated air from the Cpap was making me congested, so I turned the humidifier down to 1. The tube temperature is still set at 3, and I'm unsure what to do about that--I don't want to have a rain-out problem. I've been changing my filters regularly. I do use Sleepyhead, but I haven't looked at it lately. I'll attempt to post my last night's report.

Bill44133

Post by Bill44133 » Sat May 06, 2017 12:36 pm

I am very allergic to Ragweed pollen. My first allergy season was terrible. I had one sinus infection after the next, it was horrible.

I discovered the inline bacterial filters: https://www.cpap.com/productpage/generi ... -pack.html

It solved my horrible problem. I was surprised all that this filter blocked from me breathing in. I would strongly recommend them.

I wish you well..

Additional Comments: Settings are IPap 23 EPap 19

Julie

Post by Julie » Sat May 06, 2017 12:40 pm

Far as I know, Kenalog is a derm cream... not sure what it would do for you.

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Sat May 06, 2017 12:46 pm

I have never had a need for these, but I remember someone saying that they helped with their allergies.

https://www.cpap.com/productpage/generi ... -pack.html

chunkyfrog

Post by chunkyfrog » Sat May 06, 2017 1:40 pm

Kenalog is available as a time-release injection, sometimes offered for seasonal allergies.

Jeanne Ellen

Post by Jeanne Ellen » Sat May 06, 2017 1:48 pm

Thanks so much for the information on the bacteria filter. I'll give it a try. What about turning down the temperature on the hose? If I do that, will it cause rain-out?

Julie

Post by Julie » Sat May 06, 2017 2:14 pm

Just try it... sometimes you have to do that yourself and never mind us (who don't know you or your exact specific set up).

SAG

Post by SAG » Sat May 06, 2017 2:21 pm

Jeanne Ellen wrote:Thanks so much for the information on the bacteria filter. I'll give it a try. What about turning down the temperature on the hose? If I do that, will it cause rain-out?
That all depends on the other settings for the humidifier and the room temp and humidity.

Your cpap should have two filters, one coarse AND one fine filter. The fine filter should remove any pollen or dust. The bacterial filter is more restrictive and can reduce your pressure and cause your cpap to not sense events. Not to mention the humidifier will clog the bacterial filter right up and they normally turn black within 2-3 days.
Do a search of this forum for more discussions on the bacterial filter.
Paraphrasing Ghandi - be the change you wish to see in the world.
Paraphrasing JohnnyGoodman - Beware the person who wishes to legislate the morality and the behavior of his neighbor.
https://cutt.ly/GbE7ltf