CPAP that sat for too long...

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
nightspd

CPAP that sat for too long...

Post by nightspd » Wed May 03, 2017 9:03 am

Hi everyone. I have been bad about being compliant with my CPAP, but NEED to start back up again. However, I'm quite ashamed to admit I've let my machine sit on my desk with water still in the tank for quite some time (months). I want to take it apart and clean and disinfect everything (hoses, mask, etc) but I'm concerned about any mold or yeast growth inside the machine itself. Is this anything I realistically i need to worry about, or should I just clean it, get new filters, and start again? I originally stopped using it cause I kept getting upper respiratory infections every month...but can probably attribute that to improper cleaning and care of my equipment and i'm willing to try again and be more diligent about it.

Thanks for any help anyone can provide I really appreciate it.

Julie

Re: CPAP that sat for too long...

Post by Julie » Wed May 03, 2017 10:09 am

Hi, first of all it's highly unlikely anything's growing in the machine... highly! Second, don't fuss about your hose unless you SEE something in it. Most don't bother cleaning it ever, though I suppose if you wanted to do it once under the circumstances, go ahead. Use baby wipes on the mask wkly or daily, up to you. And get new filters. It's quite possible you got your URI's because you had the humidity turned up when local conditions didn't need it - if you live close to water or in a humid climate, and you could have felt as if a cold were starting up, or congestion. In which case turn it down or off altogether. You need to experiment. Others need lots of humidity all year... and in any case, time of year (or central htg) can also make a diff., so it's up to you to find the right level.
Last edited by Julie on Wed May 03, 2017 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Wed May 03, 2017 11:35 am

I agree with all of the above, with the added note that you only need to clean parts you can easily reach.
Internal crooks and crannies are as clean as the filtered air that passes through them--
And trying to clean them is unnecessary, as well as possibly destructive.

Last edited by chunkyfrog on Wed May 03, 2017 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sc0ttt

Post by sc0ttt » Wed May 03, 2017 12:05 pm

And then after you do the cleaning, you can run the blower with no water in the reservoir for a couple hours to blow out any loose stuff before you wear it.

kong

Post by kong » Wed May 03, 2017 5:21 pm

Julie wrote:. . . don't fuss about your hose unless you SEE something in it. Most don't bother cleaning it ever, though I suppose if you wanted to do it once under the circumstances, go ahead.
I thought I was the only person who doesn't clean the hoses.

Julie

Post by Julie » Wed May 03, 2017 5:29 pm

Post by Guest » Wed May 03, 2017 8:44 pm

nightspd wrote: I originally stopped using it cause I kept getting upper respiratory infections every month...but can probably attribute that to improper cleaning and care of my equipment and i'm willing to try again and be more diligent about it.
I think sometimes bacteria is introduced into the system when cleaning and then leaving open to air dry in a room.
Do you have well water?
Leave things open to air dry?

WRX03

Post by WRX03 » Thu May 04, 2017 5:55 am

Agree what others have said. Adding, sometimes the blower gets stuck if moisture is inside. You have to disassemble and give it a spin to get them working again. Don't blow the CPAP with a air hose through the intake or exit ports of an assembled unit, it can damage the sensors. (customer did this )

Julie

Post by Julie » Thu May 04, 2017 7:45 am

You mean you don't otherwise breathe the bacteria in rooms when you're not on Cpap?

Post by Guest » Thu May 04, 2017 8:19 am

Julie wrote:You mean you don't otherwise breathe the bacteria in rooms when you're not on Cpap?
I don't know about you but bacteria doesn't grow in my nose or respiratory system like it can inside a moist hose or chamber.

palerider

Post by palerider » Thu May 04, 2017 10:59 am

Guest wrote:
Julie wrote:You mean you don't otherwise breathe the bacteria in rooms when you're not on Cpap?
I don't know about you but bacteria doesn't grow in my nose or respiratory system like it can inside a moist hose or chamber.
you'd be wrong about that idea.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Thu May 04, 2017 11:16 am

Germs may find less food in the hose, but there are no leucocytes hunting them down,
as there are in any creature with a functioning immune system.
Watch "Fantastic Voyage", featuring Raquel Welch.

Post by Guest » Thu May 04, 2017 8:33 pm

palerider wrote:
Guest wrote:
Care to elaborate?

palerider

Post by palerider » Thu May 04, 2017 10:19 pm

Guest wrote:
palerider wrote:
Guest wrote:
Care to elaborate?
swab your nose, swab your hose, culture both... I think you'll be amazed

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Post by Guest » Fri May 05, 2017 4:34 am

palerider wrote:swab your nose, swab your hose, culture both... I think you'll be amazed
You've done this? After leaving your hose out to air dry in the room? Do tell what you found.
How in the mask, what did you find there? TIA