How long did it take you to get used to cpap?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Arlene1963

Re: How long did it take you to get used to cpap?

Post by Arlene1963 » Sun Apr 23, 2017 10:33 am

According to an earlier thread posted by the OP, he/she has been on CPAP for about 3 weeks and is having problems falling asleep, staying asleep and adjusting to sleeping with a mask. (two masks have been tried)

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=117214&p=1133019#p1133019

Wulfman...

Post by Wulfman... » Sun Apr 23, 2017 1:05 pm

ChicagoGranny wrote:
robysue wrote:robysue
You wrote a long post, but you fail to tell the OP about the need to monitor effectiveness. Before this person gets any other advice, we should first get some information from him to see if his therapy is effective.

It's clear from reading in this forum that many people think what the medical profession has given them is the end of the process. But, we know this is not true. The machine settings may not be correct, the mask may have high leak, and there may be other problems with how the patient is using the CPAP.
+1

Absolutely, positively, 100% correct!!!

With this therapy, you need to be able to monitor, recognize, and measure your progress......and then adjust if/when necessary to optimize it.

Den

(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

drfaust

Post by drfaust » Sun Apr 23, 2017 1:38 pm

Had it NOT been for *positive* support from *most* of the people who were on the forum back in the fall of 2010, I would never have made it to becoming a full time PAPer who actually benefits from this therapy. But even back then there were people whose posts came across as insisting that my problems were caused using the ramp and/or too little air coming through the mask or that I must be mouth breathing or that my therapy wasn't effective and I needed more pressure.

When a newbie is unlucky enough to have a really rough transition in spite of a treated AHI < 2.0, it doesn't help to only hear things like everybody gets better in a couple of weeks if only the machine's settings are correct.
This this this! When I read the posts saying that if it's not perfect and easy, you're doing something wrong, I have to roll my eyes. There is nothing normal about having a bunch of silicone strapped to your face and air being forced up your nose.

And reprimanding people for being helpful is... unhelpful.

My CPAP experience so far has been very very rough, and it's from the positive support messages I see on here that I have hope.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Sun Apr 23, 2017 3:19 pm

robysue wrote:I answered this person's question.
It is quite often the case that newbies don't know the right questions to ask. Answering the wrong question may do more harm than good.

"How long did it take you to get used to cpap?" is not the right question in the case where the therapy has not been optimized.

TheDuke

Post by TheDuke » Sun Apr 23, 2017 3:54 pm

I was helped by the machine from the very first night. BUT, I started treatment in 1988 and the early mask(s) I used were uncomfortable and actually made sores and abrasions on my nose and the straps left red marks on my face. Across the years I tried various masks and wasn't truly pleased with any that I tried. Finally. when I initiated treatment with a fine pulmonologist (Dr. Bradley Bittle in Cape Girardeau) , he insisted that I have a new mask-ResMed Mirage Activa and for the first time, I was comfortable in the mask. And he also insisted that my faithful old Respironics BiPap Plus have a heated humidifier added which has also much improved my experience using XPAP. By now I have had five or more machines and liked everyone I had-started with a Healthdyne, then a Sullivan, Then Respironics and now using my second DeVilbiss. The machines were never any problem, just the masks. By now, I have used the Activa masks for 11+ years, and I still prefer the original model Activa mask with the snapclasp quick disconnect. Though I have had one of the Activa LT series, I still like the old version better, I hope ResMed never discontinues it.

TheDuke

grizzlybearclark

Post by grizzlybearclark » Sun Apr 23, 2017 5:48 pm

during my sleep study they put a nasal mask on for me to use for the test. the 2nd time i tried to speak i figured out how to hold my tongue to the roof of my mouth and i have not ever had another problem since. i have been using cpap for a little over a year. i wish it was like that for everyone.

Mogy

Post by Mogy » Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:30 pm

I started CPAP at the beginning of Feb this year and am still not able to sleep through the whole night. I usually get 3 or 4 hours a night with the machine. If I can't get back to sleep within about 5 min I take the mask off. Even so I feel better than I have for years.
Using weight loss, general exercise, and tongue/throat exercises I managed to get my AHI down to approx 5.
Not using a machine currently.

sleepyvs

Post by sleepyvs » Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:25 am

@robysue -- I really appreciated your long post. I'm on day 6, I've finally managed to go 7 hours with my CPAP for the first time. I'm not feeling better -- in fact, I'm feeling more lethargic and sleepy when I wake up and for a few hours after. According to my CPAP, it's working correctly and the seal was good. Your post gives me some hope. If it takes weeks, I'll give it weeks. I had a heart attack a month ago. I'm trying to get healthy on all fronts so I can stick around for my family.

Julie

Post by Julie » Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:55 am

Having had a heart attack may well be responsible for how you feel now vs blaming it on Cpap, so you may need to give it more time.

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:47 am

I got used to it from first night, I knew anything else and I would be soon dead, a great motivator. Had just survived a quad by-pass and two stents, 1/3 heart function. It was necessary to make the effort. (11 hours first night @ 14.5CM) Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

SunnyBeBe

Post by SunnyBeBe » Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:24 pm

I was able to sleep with mine quite well from night one. I did have a little soreness on my nose from nasal pillow, but, got that worked out. Later, the headstrap woke me as it crept up the back of my head, but, a brilliant poster around here, suggested that I put my long hair through, so it falls over the bottom strap and it SOLVED my problem. Yaaay. It's so much better now. So, I now have only one more little problem, but, it's minor and cosmetic. I think it can be solved pretty easily with a protector on my cheeks.

I suspect that while people vary in their needs and abilities to adapt to treatment, the most significant factor, is the attitude and commitment to the treatment. For me, I knew it would work. Because, it had to. No way I was going to keep getting up multiple times per night to pee. No way. Plus, I was putting my health first. So, failing was not an option for me.
Machine: ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet (contains humidifier)
Nuance Pro Gel Pillow and headgear

Mittens

Post by Mittens » Wed Nov 08, 2017 5:21 pm

I thought things were going well, and that the adjustment had been relatively smooth. I've been at it almost a month. The past few nights have been more challenging though. Alas, last night was the first night I gave up in the middle of the night and took the mask off midway. I could not handle it any longer. So I guess I'm not yet there.

Here's hoping tonight is better.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:38 pm

Not everyone has the same response to using/not using cpap.
I was "lucky", having very little restful sleep, severe headaches, nightmares,
and numerous other OVERT symptoms, which were considerably improved right away,
in spite of insurance--single pressure machine, and a bleak mask selection, among others.
Other users may have adjusted to life with untreated apnea, so getting used to mask and machine is
more NOTICEABLE than the unseen, but deadly, systemic results of apnea.
I was aware of immediate improvements because my symptoms were making my life a nightmare,
but my stamina and memory took months to improve.
I applaud those who dig in and stick with cpap,
even though they may not notice any improvements for several months.

Sheriff Buford

Post by Sheriff Buford » Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:29 am

SleepyBobR wrote:One night. I just put the mask on and went to sleep. I know that many struggle with the therapy but I had no trouble at all. I was very lucky.
No kidding! Wow...

Sheriff

TBonzie

Post by TBonzie » Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:16 am

I'm still adjusting. I'm on the 2nd day of week four. The last few days have been the worst.

Getting to sleep with this is just so difficult. I feel like I'm suffocating breathing out. I've had the exhalation set to maximum (which helped); have tried ramp on, off, auto; and the pressure has been raised. One time when I was coughing/freaking out I looked at the pressure and it was 9. My clinician told me that 9 is what seems to stop my apnea.

I'm thinking at this point it's psychological and I don't know what to do. Reasoning is that once I'm asleep, I'm fine. And if I wake up during the night - the mask/breathing doesn't bother me. I go right to sleep. I'm a bit OCD and tend to overfocus and once I realize I'm breathing through this, it's almost a panic attack. I cough and cough....45 minutes to an hour. I gave up one night but usually I fight it out. It's played hell with my sleeping schedule.

Next week, I have appointments with both my primary and my pulmonologist. We'll see if they have any advice.

But right now, the thought of this forever is just incredibly demoralizing.