Safe to add extra air filter? Filter mod question.

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
axxell6307

Safe to add extra air filter? Filter mod question.

Post by axxell6307 » Sat Apr 22, 2017 11:37 am

I've got the dreamstation auto cpap and my disposable filter needs replacing every week or so or I'll smell dirt coming through my hose and disrupts my sleep. I don't understand why it gets dirty so fast. I keep my room clean and this machine has two filters and this disposable one is second in line. It looks like a hepa filter and the first one is foam.

Any suggestions or hacks I can try? Such as add another piece of foam before it or try washing the hepa disposable filter?

I know modifying anything may change my pressure but am hoping since it's an auto cpap that it will still give me proper levels without damaging my machine either.

Goofproof

Re: Safe to add extra air filter? Filter mod question.

Post by Goofproof » Sat Apr 22, 2017 11:51 am

axxell6307 wrote:I've got the dreamstation auto cpap and my disposable filter needs replacing every week or so or I'll smell dirt coming through my hose and disrupts my sleep. I don't understand why it gets dirty so fast. I keep my room clean and this machine has two filters and this disposable one is second in line. It looks like a hepa filter and the first one is foam.

Any suggestions or hacks I can try? Such as add another piece of foam before it or try washing the hepa disposable filter?

I know modifying anything may change my pressure but am hoping since it's an auto cpap that it will still give me proper levels without damaging my machine either.
Your time would be better spent cleaning your house, that's the real problem, and you are breathing inside your house all the time you are in it. Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

palerider

Post by palerider » Sat Apr 22, 2017 11:54 am

axxell6307 wrote: I know modifying anything may change my pressure but am hoping since it's an auto cpap that it will still give me proper levels without damaging my machine either.
the pressure sensor is after the filter, in other words, minor changes there make no difference.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

axxell6307

Post by axxell6307 » Sat Apr 22, 2017 11:59 am

Goofproof wrote:
axxell6307 wrote:I've got the dreamstation auto cpap and my disposable filter needs replacing every week or so or I'll smell dirt coming through my hose and disrupts my sleep. I don't understand why it gets dirty so fast. I keep my room clean and this machine has two filters and this disposable one is second in line. It looks like a hepa filter and the first one is foam.

...and you are breathing inside your house all the time you are in it. Jim
What do you mean???

I am disabled and more time cleaning is not going to happen. It's very clean as it is. It's done weekly with touch ups in between. Short of creating a clean room area, there will always be dust and dirt. Thus, the interest in filtration changes...

axxell6307

Post by axxell6307 » Sat Apr 22, 2017 12:01 pm

palerider wrote:
axxell6307 wrote: I know modifying anything may change my pressure but am hoping since it's an auto cpap that it will still give me proper levels without damaging my machine either.
the pressure sensor is after the filter, in other words, minor changes there make no difference.
Okay. Thanks.

Julie

Post by Julie » Sat Apr 22, 2017 12:15 pm

Do you rinse your foam filter every wk? They're meant to be rinsed out, not just tossed... mine last for months,

palerider

Post by palerider » Sat Apr 22, 2017 12:27 pm

Julie wrote:Do you rinse your foam filter every wk? They're meant to be rinsed out, not just tossed... mine last for months,
the behavior of one brand of cpap does not necessarily translate accurately to another brand.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Sat Apr 22, 2017 12:33 pm

The filter will not be Dirty enough to change that often unless the air is dirty. If it's as bad as you say it's not healthy. Three or four weeks is normal time to change the filters.

Use a good sweeper with a hepa filter, Room Fans with a Good HEPA Filter. Have furnace checked for heat exchanger damage or vent piping holes or plugging up. A CO and New Smoke detector might be good.

Odd's are you are obsessing, but if not these are good ideas! The heat exchanger on my 10 year old gas failed I only found out when it's computer kept shutting the unit down.

OH! The good days, burning Coal for heat, clean not a option we lived with it. Having to clean the wallpaper, good old days. Jim

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Sat Apr 22, 2017 12:44 pm

Many people never consider a hard floor in the bedroom.
Carpeting is a major source of allergens.
If your bedroom is still carpeted, have it removed.
Any fibers in the bedroom need to be removable and launderable.
Some asthmatics go so far as using an air bed, like in hospitals.
Garment bags can be used to isolate out of season clothes in the closet.

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Sat Apr 22, 2017 12:49 pm

Odd's are you aren't smelling dirt, you are smelling something in the room (house) or the HH. The last time I smelled dirt, I was tilling a garden, and that smelled good! Even better was eating the tomatoes and corn. Jim

Do you have Smoking going on in your home, or have others smoking there. Do You have someone there cooking burning food and pans. (I do ) I don't have a good answer for that problem, I married it! What's so hard turning the fire on the stove down, water boils at 212F no matter how mush heat you add, after that food burns and pans melt.

chunkyfrog

Post by chunkyfrog » Sat Apr 22, 2017 12:56 pm

212F? Nothing browns at that temperature.
Can't even make toast.

prodigyplace

Post by prodigyplace » Sat Apr 22, 2017 1:24 pm

Goofproof wrote:The filter will not be Dirty enough to change that often unless the air is dirty. If it's as bad as you say it's not healthy. Three or four weeks is normal time to change the filters.
Perhaps that is the case for your machine. Other are different.
I change my Resmed filter once a month but they recommend twice a month.

Please visit our sponsor, CPAP.com at https://www.cpap.com/ for all your CPAP needs.

chunkyfrog

Post by chunkyfrog » Sat Apr 22, 2017 1:35 pm

I change my hypoallergenic filters at 3 weeks, when they begin to look soiled.
Any longer, and I sneeze more than I like to.
One or two feels good, but five or more in a row in a nuisance.

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Sat Apr 22, 2017 2:15 pm

chunkyfrog wrote:212F? Nothing browns at that temperature.
Can't even make toast.
Hard boiled eggs, asparagus, peas, tomatoes, don't need browning, neither do stainless steel cookware. . I made it as easy as I could, I bought Induction cookers, full temp controlled 100 F to 485 F, ten degree steps, Timers, all new SS cookware some non-stick Nice. But not Burn proof. I can't fault her, I just need to learn how to eat carbon, and we all need more medal in our diets. Jim

Post by Guest » Sat Apr 22, 2017 2:33 pm

Goofproof wrote:Do you have Smoking going on in your home
Candles, kerosene heaters, or wood stoves and the like can also emit many particles into the air that would need to be filtered.