Recommendations for blowing out of mouth

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
rohdej

Re: Recommendations for blowing out of mouth

Post by rohdej » Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:01 pm

Its the almost vacuum that you can get that sticks your tongue to the roof of your mouth, if your nose is working at all your tongue seals your mouth and you can breath through your nose with a big teeth showing smile. Practice making the noise then practice leaving your tongue locked in that position.

rohdej

Post by rohdej » Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:13 pm

Sorry, i missed some of your question.

Yes,this did work for me. I use the P10 Pillow mask. When I started treatment, I would wake up with chapped lips and a sore throat. I had to do something to keep my leaks to a minimum. I did not see fullface masks as an option, to much jet fighter for me to use. To many straps. without the minimalism of the P10 and being able to put on or take off my glasses without interfering with the mask is a huge deal to me. I NEEDED to make my pillows work. Today now that I have seen the benefits of my therapy, I think I would be able to get past the jet fighter look and use just about any mask for a night.

zzzk

Post by zzzk » Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:34 pm

Pugsy wrote:It's hard to be specific...mainly just go around during the day with my tongue planted pretty much in the roof of my mouth behind my front teeth and I never mouth breath unless I am doing some sort of exercise.
I never did any "sucking" thing. Just made an effort to keep mouth shut at all times during the day and keep the tongue resting in the roof of the mouth.

There's also something involved that I can't explain how I do it but it's similar to blowing up a balloon...you know how you blow up a balloon but no air comes out of your nose....
I can open my mouth, stick out my tongue and even talk without air from the airway entering my mouth.
I block something but I can't tell you what it is or how I do it but I just developed doing it second nature. Where it used to be that air would enter my mouth easily and I would get chipmunk cheeks easily...not it's actually hard for me to relax and let the air enter my mouth. I have to make a concerted effort to get chipmunk cheeks now.
I wish I knew how to describe what I do but it is more of a reflex now.
Ok, thank you for taking the time to answer me. I'll try.
How long did it take you to learn to do this? Thank you.
Last edited by zzzk on Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

zzzk

Post by zzzk » Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:37 pm

rohdej wrote:Sorry, i missed some of your question.

Yes,this did work for me. I use the P10 Pillow mask. When I started treatment, I would wake up with chapped lips and a sore throat. I had to do something to keep my leaks to a minimum. I did not see fullface masks as an option, to much jet fighter for me to use. To many straps. without the minimalism of the P10 and being able to put on or take off my glasses without interfering with the mask is a huge deal to me. I NEEDED to make my pillows work. Today now that I have seen the benefits of my therapy, I think I would be able to get past the jet fighter look and use just about any mask for a night.
How long did it take for you to learn to do this?

zzzk

Post by zzzk » Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:57 pm

Pugsy wrote:It's hard to be specific...mainly just go around during the day with my tongue planted pretty much in the roof of my mouth behind my front teeth and I never mouth breath unless I am doing some sort of exercise.
I never did any "sucking" thing. Just made an effort to keep mouth shut at all times during the day and keep the tongue resting in the roof of the mouth.

There's also something involved that I can't explain how I do it but it's similar to blowing up a balloon...you know how you blow up a balloon but no air comes out of your nose....
I can open my mouth, stick out my tongue and even talk without air from the airway entering my mouth.
I block something but I can't tell you what it is or how I do it but I just developed doing it second nature. Where it used to be that air would enter my mouth easily and I would get chipmunk cheeks easily...not it's actually hard for me to relax and let the air enter my mouth. I have to make a concerted effort to get chipmunk cheeks now.
I wish I knew how to describe what I do but it is more of a reflex now.
Believe it or not, I may have figured-out what you "can't explain how" Is this what you mean?: I noticed when I use the cpap, I can feel the air moving something in the back of my throat so air can go by easier. I have found I can consciously move it back(tighten it?) as I breath when I'm awake. It feels like my throat is more open. Is that what you are talking about?

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:00 pm

zzzk wrote: Believe it or not, I may have figured-out what you "can't explain how" Is this what you mean?: I noticed when I use the cpap, I can feel the air moving something in the back of my throat so air can go by easier. I have found I can consciously move it back(tighten it?) as I breath when I'm awake. It feels like my throat is more open. Is that what you are talking about?
I wish I knew what it was then I would be able to explain it but when you can wear your mask with machine on and open your mouth and no air escapes...you have mastered it...at least while awake.

I can now talk and not have the weird tornado escape my mouth...it took me about 9 months to get the talking figured out.

Play with it and do what you think you may have discovered...and the test is..if you do it and open your mouth does the air gush out through the open mouth.
I really can put my mask on...turn the machine on and open my mouth and stick out my tongue and no air escapes.
I am not the only one who can do this but everyone I know says like me...I can't explain what I do but I do it.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Soothest Sleep

Post by Soothest Sleep » Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:52 pm

Here's another link that may help you practise your tongue posture:
http://claimingpower.com/tongue-posture/
Scroll down a bit to the part about "Correct Tongue Posture" and study the diagram.

Back of the tongue needs to be raised as well as the front. Keep your lips and teeth closed; but don't clench your jaw to do so (that promotes TMJ - temporomandibular joint - problems).

Good luck!
Jean
O soft embalmer of the still midnight,
Shutting, with careful fingers and benign,
Our gloom-pleas'd eyes, embower'd from the light,
Enshaded in forgetfulness divine
-- John Keats