Total Time in Apnea (TTIA)

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
robysue

Re: Total Time in Apnea (TTIA)

Post by robysue » Sun Apr 23, 2017 12:53 pm

LoBattery wrote:The OP gave an extreme example, but a week ago I woke up after 4 hours. My AHI was something like 0.7. When I got up in the morning it was 8.8. A lot happened in that 4 hours.
What most likely happened was a combination of the following during the last four hours of sleep:

1) Significantly more REM sleep---particularly if your apnea is known to be worse in REM. Keep in mind that as the night goes on, the REM cycles get longer and longer and longer. You may have had as little as 5-10 minutes of REM in the first four hours of the night, and you may have had as much as 60 minutes or more during the second four hours of sleep.

2) Significantly more supine sleep---particularly if your apnea is known to be worse when sleeping on your back.

3) A combination of both #1 and #2.

4) And if that second 4 hours of usage involved some restless periods where you were not sleeping, then sleep-wake-junk breathing may also have contributed to the excessive rise in AHI during the second half of the night.
Just how did AHI get to be prom queen? I would have thought having the highest number of events in any 60 minute period would have been more useful.
On an in-lab PSG, the overall AHI is broken down into several component AHIs, some of which can be calculated on very little sleep time. It's not uncommon to get less than 30 minutes total REM sleep during a diagnostic sleep test, but the REM AHI is considered extremely important---particularly when it is well above the non-REM AHI. If the REM AHI is into the moderate or severe range, but the non-REM is not not, the overall AHI may be listed as mild or even, "insignificant". But most sleep docs will zoom in on the excessive REM-based AHI and say that the apnea needs to be treated---particularly if the patient is experiencing symptoms.

Same thing with the supine AHI. For some people, the supine AHI can be > 30, but their nonsupine AHI is extremely low. Most docs have no problems diagnosing positional OSA in that situation. Whether CPAP will be recommended depends on how willing the patient is to work hard to insure staying off their back during sleep and how successful they are in doing so.

As for why our machines focus on overall AHI---that's easy to explain: A CPAP cannot tell what position you are sleeping in, nor can it measure REM vs. non-REM sleep. Heck, they can't even really tell when we are ASLEEP and when we are AWAKE. So a machine AHI is supposed to be used for trending data rather than microanalyzed. The expectation is that if the AHI < 5.0 and if the patient is feeling decent, then there's a very high probability that the patient's OSA is being effectively treated. If the patient feels lousy, then the AHI might provide some insight into what's going on---particularly if it's too high or if it has started to increase during the time frame when the patient started to feel worse during the daytime.

johnj01201

Post by johnj01201 » Fri Sep 13, 2019 6:42 pm

On 2/22/2019 I had an AHI of 55 with TTIA of 42 minutes and barely any leaks. My SPO2 watch with finger sensor woke me up. The low SPO2 alarm is set to 92. When I woke up it was 72. I was only awake long enough to go back to sleep. The next morning I downloaded the CPAP and SPO2 data into SleepyHead software. The same time my SPO2 was 72 was when I was in the in the middle of the apnea. I only have obstructive sleep apnea, but that night was mostly hypopnea, obstructive and a small percentage of RERA. I've had vision issues ever since then. It's been about 7 months now, about 15 different doctors, and today they finally said something is wrong and it's not my eyes so it must be my brain. I've had 2 MRI's without contrast and 6 CT scans with contrast. They said I did not have a stroke. The AHI for the entire 8.5 hours was 22 which is also my highest ever - it all happened in 42 minutes.

TropicalDiver

Post by TropicalDiver » Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:37 pm

OleJunk wrote:
Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:42 am
I am willing to bet:
The real reason Apnea is bad is not mainly because it interrupts sleep. It is bad because of starving the brain and body of oxygen.

If that's wrong I'll go back to trying to reduce AHI.
It is wrong. And I am not aware of any sleep doc (or pulmonologist) that would concur with your view.

Apnea is bad for both reasons -- adequate oxygenation and disordered sleep (and one of the reasons might be more prominent than the other in any given case). Total time in apnea is not a useful measure for either factor. We can measure both pretty well in a sleep lab though. (And there is a reason that we treat all sleep disorders)

At home, it is a bit harder. If the concern is 02 sats, it is best to measure that directly with recording oximetry. You care about how often, how long, and how severe desating events are. Total time in apnea is very poor proxy for what you are really trying to get at.

If it is the sleep itself, the best option is AHI. By itself, it also has very real limitations -- what type of events, are they clustered, etc. Fortunately, both issues are typically reasonably well treated by PAP (important additional considerations for those with certain types of apneas or cardio/pulmonary limitations).

We know that disordered sleep -- by itself -- creates all sorts of medical and social issues. Yes, desating is bad -- but so is poor sleep. Why pretend it is only one problem?
OleJunk wrote:
Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:42 am
It might be helpful to people to know how similar they are for their advice.

For example, I'm odd in that with a BMI of 22, weight of 85Kg and body fat ~~10%. Still have an untreated apnea of 35.2 / hour.
Some advice may be appropriate to me but not to other people...
Being at a healthy weight, eating well, and exercising are all good things.

First, I think your case is less "odd" than you might think -- a full 25% of cases have a BMI within the normal range.

Second, I am not certain how much of the advice here would really change based on weight. How to fine tune your settings? Dealing with air swallowing? Mouth breathing? Mask fitting? Air leaks? How to deal with docs and DME? None of that varies based on weight.

Dropping weight generally improves your health...how much (if any) impact it has on apnea is very case-by-case.
Machine: Aircurve 10 Vauto (Prior S9 VPAP)
Mask: Quattro Air FFM and AirTouch F20 FFM

AmSleepnBetta

Post by AmSleepnBetta » Wed Sep 18, 2019 2:18 am

robysue wrote:
"I stumbled on this article today and it has some relevance to this thread: Length of Individual Apnea Events Is Increased by Supine Position and Modulated by Severity of Obstructive Sleep Apnea published in a peer reviewed journal. (I have access to the full article on line, and I don't think I have a subscription to the site. If the link doesn't work for you, and you are really interested in reading it, pm me.)

"Table 2 of the paper is kind of interesting for putting the OP's extreme (made up) example into perspective. The study involved over 500 patients and they gathered data on over 56,000 individual hypopnea events and over 36,000 individual obstructive apnea events. The longest hypopnea recorded in the study was 127.7 seconds, or a bit more than 2 minutes in length. The longest apnea was 92.5 seconds, or a bit more than 1.5 minutes in length. So the idea that someone could have a hypopnea (let alone an apnea) that lasted 35 minutes is preposterous.

"Nonetheless, the OP's idea that the significance of the length of events has not been looked at very much does seem to have some validity. The authors of the above article state in the abstract:
'In severe OSA, the obstruction events are longer in supine compared to nonsupine positions. Corresponding scientific information on mild and moderate OSA is lacking. We studied whether individual obstruction and desaturation event severity is increased in supine position in all OSA severity categories and whether the severity of individual events is linked to OSA severity categories.'

"The paper looks a a wide number of parameters, including the severity and duration of O2 desats associated with prolonged apnea events.

"The authors of the paper conclude that regardless of the severity of the apnea, events that occur when sleeping on the back tend to be longer and tend to be associated with more severe O2 desaturations. Hence, it could be that what the OP can proactively do to minimize "total time in apnea" is to minimize supine sleep along with minimizing his treated AHI."

robysue's comments above, his linked article, the OP and the commentary might be related to the joke about how (was it three?) three blind men were clinging to different parts of an elephant --the trunk, the tail and a leg and had variously come to conclusions that the object they held was a large hose, a rope or tree trunk. Some comments and, particularly, robysue's contribution show some posters, including the first, have walked around the elephant and touched all or at least two of its elongations. As for me, all the issues raised here have been factors in cutting my RDI, desats and unrestful sleep (as described below in a quote from my December 2018 post, which has the typo "255" for two minutes 35 seconds, 155 seconds, which I corrected in my next post).

Among the most important factors--including this forum and preventing mouth breathing to enable my long-time use of the P10--in the past 4 years of my treatment success has been eliminating supine sleep, my favorite sleeping position, and determining to side sleep: both of these only after finding the truths in that last paragraph of my quote of robysue, to which I added bolding of the font. Given my having sleep apnea, I consider myself fortunate to have almost only OSA, which, in my case anyway, was and is easy to treat after identifying/documenting the contributing factor in a way that could not be denied. The proof was in using an accelerometer to show sleep angles, movements, suddenness of movements and how all those related to synchronized SleepyHead and oximeter graphs.

Now I gotta be careful, as I hang onto that elephant's ear, not to be or to strike others as having a tarp made of soft leather to cover-over (cure/treat) all OSA sufferers' SA. But I do think there is little reason to be troubled by positional SA if one is not prevented from side sleep, by back pains and real limitations more serious than mere preferences or habits. For me it was a progression as I learned the factors troubling me that I could modify, even if I didn't want to.

My full face mask sealing problems waking me up? Too much contact perimeter to seal, gotta try that little-contact P10, but I'm a mouth breather and so, for a time it was "the P10 would not work for me". Not so. Solution, a chin strap and then the cervical collar and the Gel-E-Roll mouth sealing element. I must side sleep? OK. I thought I could train myself, but failed at it like I did with the tongue-high-and-forward attempts to control mouth breathing. Frequent OSA clusters weren't convincing enough, so I got an accelerometer and used Excel to produce and integrate motion and position graphs (along with SH and oximeter graphics). After all, I was only rolling onto my back just before waking up (wasn't I?) This despite seeing OSA clusters through the night--DENIAL that I was on my back a lot. Laugh, but I had to resort to and regularly use an old surveyors' light canvas vest that has a built in large knapsack for plans and such on the back. It's filled with two nested empty cardboard boxes about 5in X 10 in X 16 in and all that keeps me out of my red zone that is less than 30 degrees off supine.

Lastly, with the ResMed Autoset I saw lots of flow limits, of spikes in flow rate and of tidal volumes even though I had frequent 0.0 AHI's and 0-3 cm leaks. The Vauto has squelched much of but not all those disturbances. Through it all, sleep improved by fits and starts and became more and more restful as I did those things this and the other sleep forums offered as solutions to my and other problems.

My experience was good and bad with the medical and sleep medicine community: the Good, I was given the ResMed S10 Autoset as my starter (but a half year ago I bought a used Vauto out of pocket); the Bad, early on I floundered without help (without knowledge of the forums) for more than a month and then I was, we are, "treated" at AHI<=5. The Vauto results have been amazing, which I am guessing is due as much to different algorithms as anything; the FL graph flattened out greatly and snore vanished--both so immediately, the first night after bonjour or Sleeprider gave me Vauto settings, that it was astonishing.

What follows is more of my over-long success story which I hope is encouraging to others as it deals specifically with the OP's valid (IMO) post about high apneic density, not just high frequency--both serious matters. But the OP's use of a breathing stoppage of 5 or 6 minutes (at our usual atmospheric pressure and moderate temperatures ) instead of 35 minutes would have sufficed to be lethal (his intent I assume) or mind destroying and would not have been so distracting. I should add that I did not have an oximeter to reveal the deepest depths of desats during high densities of long events in my first 4 months of treatment. But a home sleep study showed periods down to 68% SpO2 (for supine sleep in a recliner 4+ years ago).

"My sleep is much improved from my start with CPAP. From 3 hours time-in-apnea out of 7.5 hours of "sleep" I'm down to even a week with 0.0 AHI, 90 days of 0.1. In my first month (9/2015) I frequently had about 1/3 of sleep time in OA with lots of 120 second apneas (and a record OA of 255 seconds). It has been continual work and applications of ideas from experts in these forums. Silipos Gel-E-Roll to seal the mouth and enable use of the P10, wearing the cervical collar, getting the lower APAP pressure up where its needed; those were all game changers. But I'd still have occasional nights with a burst of OA--positional apneas I realized thanks again to these forums. Posts on this forum clued me in about an accelerometer source after I had thought I'd need to learn how to assemble one myself. It has shown me that OAs start coming on when I sleep within about a 60 degree arc centered on the forbidden supine position. Voila! Many zeroes after measures--those light cardboard boxes filling a knapsack on the back of my sleep vest--that keep me turned about 90 degrees and out of my red zone.

"Time synchronized graphs of SpO2 data, graphs from Sleepyhead and those showing (my many) bodily accelerations and position shifts (mostly at snores) show unscored bodily movement that--graphically at least--sometimes shows greater disturbance/movement than apneas which are scored. Most of my position shifts accompany a snore or flow limitation and I think the snore triggers the moves. Of course some are some shifts for comfort, too. It begins to look like the sleep impairing culprit for me is mainly snores and the coincident-motion events that are accompanied by a significant increase in pulse rate along with sharp increase in Tidal volume."

ASB

hueyville

Post by hueyville » Wed Sep 18, 2019 11:18 am

I have stopped breathing for 3.5 minutes in a sleep lab. At three minutes first tech had arrived in my room, removed mask and began bagging me, at 3.5 minutes the hubbub of people freaking out woke me up right before another tech was about to pop me with a defribulator even though heart rate was still strong. After decades of climbing mountains in the 16,000 to 22,000 feet above sea level range plus years of swimming where I have one period where swim the length of whatever pool am in underwater holding my breath or both directions in a small pool body has become used to being stressed with little to no fresh oxygen. The pool exercise is to give me a better chance to dig out or at least clear enough room for brea r hung if buried in an avalanche.

Keep my mountain climbing on east coast mainly doing routes like Mt Washington and others in the White Mountains, Catskills, Adirondacks, even western NC along Blue Ridge Pkwy, etc in winter which are only 6,000 feet but car to car with a full day of snow and ice climbing to summit there are still avalanche dangers on some. Spent two decades doing mountain rescue in the Rockies, Sierra and Cascades where we did both rescue and body recovery. Our rule was get folks out in 15 minutes as odds of survival drop to 1% after that period but areally 40% if get to them in three minutes. That said in recent years 17 people survived up to two hours and a in 2003 two snowshoers survived over 24 hours buried but we're able to fight for several minutes and dig an open spot around their faces to allow oxygen to filter through snow and keep them alive.

I have a horrible habit of falling asleep on sofa while wife is in her bedroom. She is disabled but was a licensed health care professional most of her life and is always keeping me on the straight and narrow best she can. When she goes to bed clips one my wrist worn pulse oximeters if I stay on sofa that has Bluetooth and an alarm if heart rate and/or blood oxygen level drop into danger zomes. Supposed to vibrate and sound an audible alarm when drop into danger zone. Most times she hears it before wakes me up and has to crawl out of bed and hobble using a walker to living room and wake me. It's not uncommon to download data next day to see I was in danger level on oxygen level for over two minutes but heart rate was still strong. Being physically fit will overcome many challenges faced.

When doing rescue, especially in popular day use areas it was usually the overweight and out of shape people that were critical or dead by time our rescue teams reached them. Heavier the person was more likely were first in group to die. We would dispatch on a group often led by professional guides who let money keep them forging ahead rather than cancel a trip due to heavy overnight and early morning snowfall. When we arrived odds were the guides who were always fit and members of group that were runners, swimmers, bicyclers, etc would survive when others that did little to no exercise died in their day teip paid snowshoe adventure with guides.

Friend and I had dug a pit to analyze a slope for avalanche potential and our data showed odds of a slide were high. We decided to leave and go find a short roadside ice climb rather than push past slope to get to our objective for the day. As we were reversing path a group of snoeshoers from the CMC met us with over a dozen people. We told them slope was primed to slide and to check our pit and with most of the work done could just shave a fresh side to view layers and do a shear test. The guides told us they were professional locals and did not need advice from people with southern accemt. We kept going and in two to three minutes we heard the loud cracking boom like dynamite and breaking trees. We turned our avalanche tranceivers from transmit to receive and only found three signals as probed. Only the guides were wearing avalanche tranceivers so as we found a signal one man dug while other continued probing and would start digging on next hit with probe then as we found a body would comtinue. Zero survivors but some the trauma of being hit by hard water ice, rocks and broken trees killed. Had all been wearing transceivers and been six of us instead of two doing rescue story may have played different but half the dead died of suffocation and common denominator was they were mostly all overweight.

My doctors were stunned to find I had apnea when diagnosed as was still racing bicycles on a team, early forties and ran low as 3% to 5% body fat in summer and 5% to 10% in winter. Had a resting heart rate in low 40's and when did a stress test for heart doctor due to family history could not get my heart rate high enough on their treadmill to accurately perform a stress test. Had to,do a fast scan CT for blockages which onmscale of 0 to 100 (dead if arteries to heart were 100% blocked) my score was zero. Did an ultrasound of my heart and machine operator said my heart sounded like an industrial bilge pump running steady. It is not uncommon for me to have long time periods of no breathing and soon as alarm, machine or wife (usually alarm wakes her and she wakes me) wakes me up immediately go to normal breathing. Doctor says have oddest/most difficult case ever tried to deal with but the severe head injury, broken neck and pituitary cancer either in combination or a couple of them with family history was causing such severe apnea and only thing that has kept me alive at times was extreme physical fitness which is fading as I approach my 60's. Just in good shape now, no longer excellent so have to be more careful and use my machine.

Like mentioned above, when take CPR they no longer teach breaths but compressions only to keep blood moving. Being in good physical condition especially with regards to heart health is very important so if it's walking, riding a staionary bike, treadmill or joggimg, do something. It's as important as your machine.
For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine, but according to their own desires, because they have itching ears, they will heap up for themselves teachers; and they will turn their ears away from the truth

Dog Slobber

Post by Dog Slobber » Wed Sep 18, 2019 1:34 pm

hueyville wrote:
Wed Sep 18, 2019 11:18 am
and common denominator was they were mostly all overweight.
Sounds to me like the common denominator was they were buried under a bunch of ice and snow.

palerider

Post by palerider » Wed Sep 18, 2019 1:47 pm

Dog Slobber wrote:
Wed Sep 18, 2019 1:34 pm
hueyville wrote:
Sounds to me like the common denominator was they were buried under a bunch of ice and snow.
Can someone post a tl,dr for those long, rambling, irrelevant streams of consciousness, just in case there's something OSA related in there?

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Dog Slobber

Post by Dog Slobber » Wed Sep 18, 2019 2:01 pm

palerider wrote:
Wed Sep 18, 2019 1:47 pm
Dog Slobber wrote:
hueyville wrote:
Can someone post a tl,dr for those long, rambling, irrelevant streams of consciousness, just in case there's something OSA related in there?
Sure, according to our newest member, Stephen King, he and a friend were hiking somewhere and a bunch of stuff happened, and they said some stuff and there was an avalanche and stuff, and they tried to dig them out, but they died.

He seems to think it was more significant that they were overweight than being buried under an avalanche.

Then he said more stuff.

palerider

Post by palerider » Wed Sep 18, 2019 2:52 pm

Dog Slobber wrote:
Wed Sep 18, 2019 2:01 pm
palerider wrote:
Dog Slobber wrote:
hueyville wrote:
Sure, according to our newest member, Stephen King, he and a friend were hiking somewhere and a bunch of stuff happened, and they said some stuff and there was an avalanche and stuff, and they tried to dig them out, but they died.

He seems to think it was more significant that they were overweight than being buried under an avalanche.

Then he said more stuff.
Thank you, I appreciate the synopsis, because I've got too many other things going on at the moment and don't have time to start a new novel.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Wed Sep 18, 2019 2:59 pm

He does write pretty good for a 7 year old :lol:

AmSleepnBetta

Post by AmSleepnBetta » Thu Sep 19, 2019 1:10 am

palerider wrote:
Dog Slobber wrote:
hueyville wrote:
Guilty of long rambling posts, including mine above mentioning elephants and blind men, I figuratively add that in these days there are cliques of sighted and superior sages (on campuses and elsewhere, even here I see) who will scoff at the blind men's evidence-short conclusions and deny there are such things as elephants.

Lacking knowledge to critique substance in hueyville's report, my opinion is there is much to think and learn more about in his post. It dealt with most all of the OP: TTIA (time not breathing, OSA or whatever), body fat (BMI), exercise (conditioning) and more, including what hueyville was doing about his OSA.

Would someone decode what insiders refer to as "tl" and "dr", I'm still in learning mode at this old age.

ASB

palerider

Post by palerider » Thu Sep 19, 2019 1:19 am

AmSleepnBetta wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2019 1:10 am
Would someone decode what insiders refer to as "tl" and "dr", I'm still in learning mode at this old age.
Too Long, Didn't Read.

AmSleepnBetta

Post by AmSleepnBetta » Thu Sep 19, 2019 1:33 am

palerider wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2019 1:19 am
AmSleepnBetta wrote:
Too Long, Didn't Read.
And, apparently, you didn't read my question which had to do with your quoted comment, not my earlier "too long" post.

Jas_williams

Post by Jas_williams » Thu Sep 19, 2019 5:28 am

AmSleepnBetta wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2019 1:33 am
palerider wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2019 1:19 am
AmSleepnBetta wrote:
Too Long, Didn't Read.
And, apparently, you didn't read my question which had to do with your quoted comment, not my earlier "too long" post.
And you apparently did not read or understaand PaleRiders response tl = Too Long dr= Didn’t Read

jimbud

Post by jimbud » Thu Sep 19, 2019 9:58 am

AmSleepnBetta wrote:
palerider wrote:
Dog Slobber wrote:
hueyville wrote:
Jas_williams » Thu Sep 19, 2019 6:28 am
And you apparently did not read or understand PaleRiders response tl = Too Long dr= Didn’t Read

Guilty, I Lack knowledge.
I'm still in learning mode at this old age.

ASB