Pneumonia, Sterilization & Heated Hose

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
palerider

Re: Pneumonia, Sterilization & Heated Hose

Post by palerider » Sun Apr 23, 2017 6:12 pm

HoseCrusher wrote:How about this perspective...

If you are in the middle of the battle, and losing, you can add to your infection load by re-using a mask that hasn't been cleaned and is full of snot, phlegm, and spit from coughing and choking from the previous time you used the mask.
if you're losing the battle anyway, would it matter?

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Wulfman...

Post by Wulfman... » Sun Apr 23, 2017 6:46 pm

http://www.nhs.uk/chq/Pages/how-long-do ... -body.aspx

http://www.prevention.com/health/health ... er-illness

“Medically speaking, you can’t give yourself the same thing twice,” says Nancy Simpkins, MD, a board-certified internist and medical advisor for the state of New Jersey. “Once you have it, your body builds up antibodies so you can’t re-infect yourself.”

Den

(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

HoseCrusher

Post by HoseCrusher » Sun Apr 23, 2017 7:04 pm

Interesting...

This study

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9517611

seems to indicate that re-infection or relapse does occur.

Thirty-three (89.1%) of 37 patients survived the initial week after pneumonia diagnosis; six survivors (18.1%) had multiple episodes caused by the same species.

The question is if cleaning and disinfection of your equipment is worth the effort to reduce the 18% chance of re-infection.

HoseCrusher

Post by HoseCrusher » Sun Apr 23, 2017 7:07 pm

Here is another study

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4217033/

which concludes...

These data suggest that the most of the recurrent P. aeruginosa infections in chronic lung disease occurred due to the relapse of prior infections.

I wonder what happened to the antibodies that were formed during the initial infection...?

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:08 pm

HoseCrusher wrote:Here is another study

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4217033/

which concludes...

These data suggest that the most of the recurrent P. aeruginosa infections in chronic lung disease occurred due to the relapse of prior infections.

I wonder what happened to the antibodies that were formed during the initial infection...?
Your immune system failed you, or the bug adapted! Shake your mask out so your own snot won't clog your nose. Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

flightco

Post by flightco » Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:22 am

SewTired wrote:What they told me at the hospital was that people who never cleaned their equipment were the ones who would get respiratory issues from cpap. Even once a month was enough to keep you from getting sick.
!
Don't think that because they work in a hospital they know what they are talking about, not saying they don't but I have heard a lot of stupid stuff come from people who work in hospitals (I work in hospitals and also say some stupid stuff) If someone tells you something as fact, that fact will have backing; ask nicely where they got the information so you can review it for yourself, you will almost never get it. In this case I don't believe the majority of cpap patients with respiratory issues got the issue because they never cleaned their equipment.. I, like someone else here have had many respiratory issues in my life, none, not one, since starting cpap (and I hardly ever clean it, I really should do more)