Need recommendation for full face mask

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
gasp

Need recommendation for full face mask

Post by gasp » Thu Apr 13, 2017 4:57 pm

So, my friend just started apnea therapy a few days ago. He started out with a nasal mask, but has a stuffy nose often enough that we're thinking he should have a full face backup mask.

He is a big guy (extremely fit) with a proportionately sized large head, bald, large (vs proportionately sized small or medium) sized nose.

Any help appreciated.

Wulfman...

Re: Need recommendation for full face mask

Post by Wulfman... » Thu Apr 13, 2017 5:06 pm

Here's the lineup from http://www.cpap.com sorted by rating.

https://www.cpap.com/cpap-masks/full-fa ... 999:Rating:::

I've liked the one in my profile. Been using it since I started therapy.

Den

(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Thu Apr 13, 2017 5:33 pm

You might look at the Respironics Amara View full face mask.
https://www.cpap.com/productpage/respir ... -mask.html
Free return insurance on the package that you choose the size (frame is universal so if you do end up wanting to try a different size all you need is another cushion)...or there is the fit pack that includes all the cushion sizes but the return insurance isn't free.

We tend to suggest the masks that we have had success with...I am no different.
The Amara View has been the only full face mask that I could even sleep all night with so I did keep it for emergency situations if for some reason I just couldn't use my nasal pillow mask. It's not perfect but for me it worked well enough. I used it for about a week just to see how it would go and surprisingly it went better than I expected.

If you are buying from cpap.com there are several newer full face masks with free return insurance.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

RestlessinWoolley

Post by RestlessinWoolley » Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:24 am

The Amara View and the Mirage Quattro is on my list to try tomorrow. After a month of the F20 I have a list of I don't likes, worse than the Simplus

"I hate the word 'Handicapped' and 'Disabled'. They imply that you are less than whole don't see myself that way at all". ~Aimee Mullins

Sheriff Buford

Post by Sheriff Buford » Fri Apr 14, 2017 6:16 am

The Resmed F10 is a nice mask and is my backup mask.

Sheriff

gasp

Post by gasp » Fri Apr 14, 2017 9:01 am

Thank you everyone! So, one thing I think I know, but don't know I know haha, is the favorite mask for someone with a tiny small featured face will probably not be the favorite of someone like Lou Ferrigno (imagine bigger than Lou. : )

So what is everyone's guess, what the bigger Lou's favorite mask would be?

Okie bipap

Post by Okie bipap » Fri Apr 14, 2017 10:50 am

I tried several different masks until I settled on the Amara View. It is different than other full face masks as it does not come up over the nose. I have a very narrow nose bridge, and most FFMs would not seal around my nose unless I really snugged them down, which would make my nose sore. The cushion on the Amara View s the same size for all sizes, the only difference being the depth of the mask, and the opening in the top portion of he mask where it comes into contact with the nose. I have recently (last two weeks), switched to the new Resmed F20 because it is the first mask I have found that will seal around the bridge of my nose without making it sore.

Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional.

KenM

Post by KenM » Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:03 pm

My RX is for a Simplus and I also have a F10
My biggest complaint about the Simplus is the part that is against your forehead. I bugs me enough that I can still feel it hours after removing the mask. heck, been using the F10 last couple nites and my forehead still feels weird.

Best bet is to try many to find that one. I'm in that process as still a CPAP newbie.

Our sponsor does offer return insurance, but for complete mask and need a RX.
Good luck on your search

CarpeNoctum

Post by CarpeNoctum » Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:20 pm

The older Quattro which was replaced by the Quattro fx...is a super mask for me. I'm a big guy. Both use a double layer inflatable skirt to fit the face. This gives flexibility and requires minimal tightness to get good seal. End result is a very comfortable mask. I'm not really up on the latest masks but the fx should still be available.
CN

gasp

Post by gasp » Fri Apr 14, 2017 1:09 pm

CarpeNoctum wrote:The older Quattro which was replaced by the Quattro fx...is a super mask for me. I'm a big guy. Both use a double layer inflatable skirt to fit the face. This gives flexibility and requires minimal tightness to get good seal. End result is a very comfortable mask. I'm not really up on the latest masks but the fx should still be available.
CN
Thank you!

RestlessinWoolley

Post by RestlessinWoolley » Fri Apr 14, 2017 3:52 pm

I ended up with the Quattro FX. its worth a check, the Amara View was nice but at full pressure it wouldnt maintain a seal on the nose.. good luck and try them all if need be.

"I hate the word 'Handicapped' and 'Disabled'. They imply that you are less than whole don't see myself that way at all". ~Aimee Mullins

SleepyBobR

Post by SleepyBobR » Fri Apr 14, 2017 4:32 pm

I've tried a few but keep coming back to the venerable Resmed Quattro. It's comfortable and it works. This mask helps keep your mouth from falling open which helps prevent aerophagia and, if you get the forehead thing adjusted properly, you can avoid the sores on the bridge of your nose. It's a good mask and it's the one I recommend. I just bought a new one so it's definitely still available.

Last edited by SleepyBobR on Fri Apr 14, 2017 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Fri Apr 14, 2017 4:48 pm

SleepyBobR wrote:I've tried a few but keep coming back to the venerable Resmed Quattro. It's comfortable and it works. This mask helps keep your mouth from falling open which helps prevent aerophagia and, if you get the forehead thing adjusted properly, you can avoid the sores on the bridge of your nose. It's a good mask and it's the one I recommend.
+1

gasp

Post by gasp » Sat Apr 15, 2017 7:57 am

Once again, you have come through for me. Thank you so much for the recommendations. I'm going to recommend he buy the Quattro fx or Quattro.