Amara View update along with some major issues

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
NadiaK

Amara View update along with some major issues

Post by NadiaK » Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:37 am

Hi everyone,
A few weeks ago I posted on this forum that I was looking for recommendations for a new mask. For the past three years I have been using the Resmed Quattro FX full face mask. However recently I was having terrible problems with strong indentations on my face from the mask that would not disappear as the day went on. I am also a side sleeper so I am sure that contributed to the problem. Several people recommended that I try the Amara View. I contacted my provider and received the new mask.

I used the mask for for about a week. It took a little getting used to but I find that it feels comfortable on my face and also seals well especially when I use one of the RemZzz liners. I seem to sleep soundly most of the night and only awaken once or twice a night to a little hissing sound that is quickly corrected by slightly adjusting the mask. Unfortunately due to having an old machine with no data option I really can not know how well I am sleeping with the mask. I need to wait until next year before my insurance will allow me to exchange my current machine.

Now here is my issue with this mask. When I remove it in the morning the back of my neck hurts. I do not have the mask on too tight as I can easily slide two fingers under both sets of straps. Yet an even bigger problem for me is that I have intense sinus pressure and a headache all day after sleeping with this mask. My eyes in particular feel like they are all puffy after wearing this mask. I do take daily allergy medicine and of course it is the time of the year when everything is blooming here so that might be contributing a little bit to my problem.

On a side note out of frustration, last night I went back to my old Quattro mask. This morning I woke up feeling much better. My eyes feel almost normal and I have very little sinus pressure at all. I just can't imagine continuing with the Amara with the way it makes me feel. Has anyone else experienced something similar when using this mask? I would appreciate any suggestions you may have. I really want to love the Amara but right now it is making me miserable. Thank you.

Nadia

Last edited by NadiaK on Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Okie bipap

Re: Amara View update along with some major issues

Post by Okie bipap » Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:02 am

I used the Amara View for several months and had no problem with it. I used home made liners when I used it. I recently switched over to the Resmed F20 and have found it works very well for me. It is the first full face mask I have found that seals around the bridge of my nose without pulling it very snug.

Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional.

englandsf

Post by englandsf » Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:21 am

Are you mouth breathing or nose breathing? I use a View as a back up to my beloved P20 a few days a year when I'm congested and find I then tend mouth breathe, sleep less well and wake up with aches and pains...

NadiaK

Post by NadiaK » Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:39 am

Englandsf I usually fall asleep with my mouth closed and breathe through my nose. But during the night I am definitely a mouth breather as I often wake with a dry mouth.

englandsf

Post by englandsf » Sun Apr 16, 2017 3:18 pm

Try the training thing by positioning your tongue behind your top front teeth. Try nose breathing like this a lot during the day. If your nose is blocking try nasal rinses and Flonase type sprays.

NadiaK

Post by NadiaK » Sun Apr 16, 2017 5:17 pm

Englandsf, thank you for your suggestions. I actually have been using Nasonex for the last few days along with my old Quattro mask and am feeling much much better. I was very excited to use the Amara View. But it looks like for me it is not going to work. Not sure why, but for some reason the Amara View is having a negative impact on my sinus's. I just ordered the Simplus full face mask. Hoping I have better luck with that one.

Rob K

Post by Rob K » Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:44 pm

Sounds like you all have some experience with the F20 and Amara View. Maybe you can help me. Right now I have a Resmed Airfit F10 and looking to replace it. The height is just right, but it's a little too narrow and leaks at the corners of my mouth. I'm wondering how these three masks compare in width at the mouth. It would be helpful to at least know if the F20 or Amara View is wider than the other. Thanks and sorry to sidetrack your thread. I'm just looking for a simple answer.

Okie bipap

Post by Okie bipap » Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:34 pm

I don't know about the F10, but the F20 appears to be wider than the Amara View. I am using the medium sized F20 and compared it to the Amara View.

Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional.

Rob K

Post by Rob K » Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:44 pm

Okie bipap wrote:I don't know about the F10, but the F20 appears to be wider than the Amara View. I am using the medium sized F20 and compared it to the Amara View.

I use a medium F10 and looks like I need a medium F20 also. So Amara View is out, based on what you said. I'll be looking at either the F20 or Mirage FX. Thanks that helps narrow it down. And now back to helping the OP.

Jennreads

Post by Jennreads » Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:18 pm

Nadia, I was having trouble with my full face mask, so I did a little research and decided to try the Amara View. The first morning after using it the back of my head and neck hurt and my sinuses hurt all day long. I took it back to my DME that afternoon and he went on and on about how "in all my years of experience I have never heard such a thing." He said he called the company and they said they never heard that complaint before. I'm sorry it didn't work for you, either. I think it is the way the strap laid low on the back of my head. Thankfully there are many options out there. The next thing I tried has worked beautifully for me. I hope you find a good fit soon.

NadiaK

Post by NadiaK » Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:07 am

Jennreads wrote:Nadia, I was having trouble with my full face mask, so I did a little research and decided to try the Amara View. The first morning after using it the back of my head and neck hurt and my sinuses hurt all day long. I took it back to my DME that afternoon and he went on and on about how "in all my years of experience I have never heard such a thing." He said he called the company and they said they never heard that complaint before. I'm sorry it didn't work for you, either. I think it is the way the strap laid low on the back of my head. Thankfully there are many options out there. The next thing I tried has worked beautifully for me. I hope you find a good fit soon.
Thank you so much for confirming what I have been feeling. I have also been told that it is impossible for the Amara View to impact my sinuses. But it absolutely does. I ordered the Simplus FFM which arrived yesterday. I hate the bar over the forehead. I woke up this morning and even after having the mask off for several hours it still feels like that bar is pressing on my forehead even though in reality it wasn't. I also got constant leaks. The one nice thing was that not having a strap across the middle of your cheek makes the mask comfortable for side sleeping. Looking to possible try the Airfit F20 next.

AliClick

Post by AliClick » Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:54 am

New user (3+ weeks) with the Amara View, and I experienced similar stress/pain in the mornings, even though my medical provider insisted the straps were properly tensions. I started backing off the tightness of all the straps just a bit, and that seemed to fix it. During that time, I also started to transition more from back/side sleeping to stomach sleeping, so maybe that plays a role (ormally a stomach sleeper, but early days with the CPAP I couldn't get comfortable stomach sleeping). Good luck, hope you find something that works well for you.

Additional Comments: Xtreme Comforts Slim Hypoallergenic Shredded Memory Foam Bamboo Pillow, great for stomach sleeper, very adjustable for mask

NadiaK

Post by NadiaK » Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:59 pm

AliClick wrote:New user (3+ weeks) with the Amara View, and I experienced similar stress/pain in the mornings, even though my medical provider insisted the straps were properly tensions. I started backing off the tightness of all the straps just a bit, and that seemed to fix it. During that time, I also started to transition more from back/side sleeping to stomach sleeping, so maybe that plays a role (ormally a stomach sleeper, but early days with the CPAP I couldn't get comfortable stomach sleeping). Good luck, hope you find something that works well for you.
Thank you. It is a shame that it is such a process to finally find a mask that works.

EdNerd

Post by EdNerd » Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:09 am

NadiaK wrote: Thank you. It is a shame that it is such a process to finally find a mask that works.
Considering the almost limitless variations in facial contours, skull bone construction, skin densities, mouth and nose height and width, plus all the interior air passages and sinus cavities, it's almost a wonder that any of us can find a mass-produced mask that works well.

Ed

Very helpful stuff:
"Taming the Mirage Quattro" http://tinyurl.com/2ft3lh8

englandsf

Post by englandsf » Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:56 pm

That variety is the reason that nasal pillows especially the P20s are so popular.