holes in my wisp white tubing

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
yulcdn

holes in my wisp white tubing

Post by yulcdn » Sun Apr 09, 2017 4:05 pm

I have been a CPAP user for several years and have 95% compliance. I know that I sleep much better when I use my machine. Now for the question...The white tubing that connects to my wisp nasal mask has developed holes (for the second time). I have no animals and I can't figure out what is causing the problem. I have had to replace hose twice in 6 months. My pressure is 95% of the time below 15 and I can top out at 16. Is this too much pressure for this kind of mask? Does anyone have any ideas as to why this is happening? Thanks to Pugsy for showing me how to upload the picture

palerider

Re: holes in my wisp white tubing

Post by palerider » Sun Apr 09, 2017 4:09 pm

yulcdn wrote:I have been a CPAP user for several years and have 95% compliance. I know that I sleep much better when I use my machine. Now for the question...The white tubing that connects to my wisp nasal mask has developed holes (for the second time). I have no animals and I can't figure out what is causing the problem. I have had to replace hose twice in 6 months. My pressure is 95% of the time below 15 and I can top out at 16. Is this too much pressure for this kind of mask? Does anyone have any ideas as to why this is happening?
what are you cleaning it with?

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

yulcdn

Post by yulcdn » Sun Apr 09, 2017 4:23 pm

I wash it with mild/ natural dishwashing soap. It is the same soap that I use for the long tubing, the mask and the water reservoir. This short tubing is the only one that develops holes.

palerider

Post by palerider » Sun Apr 09, 2017 4:37 pm

yulcdn wrote:I wash it with mild/ natural dishwashing soap. It is the same soap that I use for the long tubing, the mask and the water reservoir. This short tubing is the only one that develops holes.
I'd stop. I don't know what your 'mild/natural dishwashing soap' is, or even if that's what your tubing doesn't like, but perhaps you'd be better off just using warm water and nothing else.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Julie

Post by Julie » Sun Apr 09, 2017 5:09 pm

And maybe it's just defective crap.

Post by Guest » Sun Apr 09, 2017 5:33 pm

yulcdn wrote:I wash it with mild/ natural dishwashing soap. It is the same soap that I use for the long tubing, the mask and the water reservoir. This short tubing is the only one that develops holes.
Maybe explain more about your washing technique and any tools you use. For example, Do you use a brush?

palerider

Post by palerider » Sun Apr 09, 2017 6:21 pm

Guest wrote:
Maybe explain more about your washing technique and any tools you use. For example, Do you use a brush?
from the looks of it, I'm thinking half inch drill bit...

HoseCrusher

Post by HoseCrusher » Sun Apr 09, 2017 9:55 pm

That looks very familiar. When I was using the Swift FX I had similar holes in the short tube.

After going through several hoses I finally did some testing. It appears that the hose material doesn't handle stretching. If you limit the amount the hose can expand along its length, the problem should go away.

I am an active sleeper and the short hose would constantly be stretched before the larger hose. This resulted in holes that were similar to what you are showing.

yulcdn

Post by yulcdn » Sun Apr 09, 2017 10:43 pm

Perhaps you are right about the stretching...I know that is not from the washing of the tubing. During the night I often tug on the tubing when I roll over. The real question is how can I limit the stretching of the short tubing while I am sleeping.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:32 am

Hose management.
Hang it from one of the many inventive devices created for that purpose or "rube goldberg" your own.
I used duck tape and scrunchies on a trip, and some drape their hose over tbe headboard.

Okie bipap

Post by Okie bipap » Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:18 pm

Perhaps you could try a short hose cover such as Karen at padacheek makes. You can snug up the ends of the cover with velcro and that may keep you from stretching the hose so much.

Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional.

chunkyfrog

Post by chunkyfrog » Mon Apr 10, 2017 1:44 pm

Has this happened on more than one Wisp?

MaxDarkside

Post by MaxDarkside » Mon Apr 10, 2017 4:39 pm

Looks to me to be a bad tube design and materials. I'd change manufacturer.

Do or Die... Sleep Apnea killed me, but I came back. Click for my story
Please visit my My Apnea Analytics blog. Maybe we can help each other.
54 yrs, 6' 1", 160->172 lbs

chunkyfrog

Post by chunkyfrog » Mon Apr 10, 2017 5:37 pm

I used the wisp for a couple of years, accumulating more than one.
For me, only the headgear cratered, and the fabric front frame was garbage.
I am looking at three, yes 3, front hoses that look like new.
Make me an offer. Via PM.
I have a box, containing the hoses, 3 used, and 1 unopened silicone front frames,
one used headgear, and six s/m cushions, still sealed in original packaging.
All or part--I'm happy either way.

Michandola

Post by Michandola » Mon Apr 10, 2017 6:47 pm

yulcdn wrote:I have been a CPAP user for several years and have 95% compliance. I know that I sleep much better when I use my machine. Now for the question...The white tubing that connects to my wisp nasal mask has developed holes (for the second time). I have no animals and I can't figure out what is causing the problem. I have had to replace hose twice in 6 months. My pressure is 95% of the time below 15 and I can top out at 16. Is this too much pressure for this kind of mask? Does anyone have any ideas as to why this is happening? Thanks to Pugsy for showing me how to upload the picture

How are you detaching the hose from the tubing that connects to cpap?