Rudeness

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
49er

Re: Rudeness

Post by 49er » Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:59 am

FishLips wrote:Funny.

Bad attitude and disrespect have no other source or cause than the person from whom they originate. There's really no excuse for it.

I was on the phone with HP support this morning, and found myself falling into that behavior. There were plenty of excuses I could use to justify it (bad connection, bad English, following an irrelevant flow-chart script, I'm-smarter-than-him-mentality, etc.). I had to consciously consider the tech as a fellow human being who had his own considerations, constraints, and limitations; and tell myself to chill the fuck out.

Yeah, I tend to get pretty sharp-tongued when annoyed. But if I use my brain for a minute, I can dial it back.
Great points FishLips,

Unfortunately, I didn't with a doctor's office and started yelling at the staff member. I was extremely frustrated that I felt I wasn't being heard and it was just a cumulation of dealing with alot of cr-p. But that isn't an excuse.

Interestingly, when I dealt with this office the other day, I could feel myself starting to lose my temper and by telling the person that, I calmed myself down. Anyway, the staff member got a team leader which was the right move and I got what I needed. In the future, I will ask for her.

Speaking of learning lessons, I used to get very frustrated dealing with Amazon employees in India for various reasons. Thanks to a suggestion by a friend, I automatically ask to be transferred to someone in the States. Works like a charm.

ButtermilkBuoy

Post by ButtermilkBuoy » Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:02 am

Okie bipap wrote: If you do not want to accept the advice of experienced, untrained people, restrict your questions to your doctor or RT if you have one. However, don't expect to get intensive one to one learning experiences as these people seldom have, or are willing to take the time to spend with one individual.
No to be rude, but you have confused correlation with causation. It's not that the professionals won't spend the time with one individual; it's that the individual will not pay for such lengthy service.

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:13 am

ButtermilkBuoy wrote:Because, in the internet age, adults don't have the discipline to ignore what they don't like.
And they are breeders, passing on their values to the next generation, that explains a lot! Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

Okie bipap

Post by Okie bipap » Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:21 am

ButtermilkBuoy wrote:
Okie bipap wrote: If you do not want to accept the advice of experienced, untrained people, restrict your questions to your doctor or RT if you have one. However, don't expect to get intensive one to one learning experiences as these people seldom have, or are willing to take the time to spend with one individual.
No to be rude, but you have confused correlation with causation. It's not that the professionals won't spend the time with one individual; it's that the individual will not pay for such lengthy service.
That is very true.

Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional.

Post by Guest » Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:43 am

Okie bipap wrote: I am trying to defend anyone, but it appears to me that the people who come here to learn how to take charge of their own therapy register and stick around, not drop by and make occasional posts as "guest".
Maybe you can clarify that sentence? When you do try to make it relate to why some people are rude and others are not. And esp. why is it OK to be rude when you are a registered member?

And if it really matters I dropped by here many, many moons before you did, back when Snoredog & SAG was as rude as it got. What we are seeing here (in this thread) is known IRL as Karma.

It is because of the extreme rudeness I no longer have a username.

fwiw this was noted when pr was posting yesterday...
Users browsing this forum: palerider and 105 guests

So I have to think more Guests read than post, prob for obvious reasons already mentioned.

DreamStalker

Post by DreamStalker » Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:57 am

Guest wrote:
Okie bipap wrote: I am trying to defend anyone, but it appears to me that the people who come here to learn how to take charge of their own therapy register and stick around, not drop by and make occasional posts as "guest".
Maybe you can clarify that sentence? When you do try to make it relate to why some people are rude and others are not. And esp. why is it OK to be rude when you are a registered member?

And if it really matters I dropped by here many, many moons before you did, back when Snoredog & SAG was as rude as it got. What we are seeing here (in this thread) is known IRL as Karma.

It is because of the extreme rudeness I no longer have a username.

fwiw this was noted when pr was posting yesterday...
Users browsing this forum: palerider and 105 guests

So I have to think more Guests read than post, prob for obvious reasons already mentioned.
I was here back when Snoredog and SAG were very active members and I never thought of them as being rude (well -- snoredog could get feisty with GoofyUT over ResMed vs Respironics auto algos but that's about it). I found them to be very helpful to those in need, myself included. Guests on the other hand, have never helped me in any way nor anyone else while I've been here.
President-pretender, J. Biden, said "the DNC has built the largest voter fraud organization in US history". Too bad they didn’t build the smartest voter fraud organization and got caught.

Post by Guest » Tue Apr 11, 2017 12:16 pm

DreamStalker wrote:I was here back when Snoredog and SAG were very active members and I never thought of them as being rude (well -- snoredog could get feisty with GoofyUT over ResMed vs Respironics auto algos but that's about it). I found them to be very helpful to those in need, myself included.
That was exactly my point.

Post by Guest » Tue Apr 11, 2017 2:30 pm

ButtermilkBuoy wrote:
Guest wrote:It is because of the extreme rudeness I no longer have a username.
Why do I suspect it may be your own rudeness that you no longer want to own up to?
You'd have to look inside yourself for that answer.

Jimmycrackhorn

Post by Jimmycrackhorn » Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:34 pm

jsielke wrote:I had some time this morning, and was reading through some posts on this, and on the Apnea Board. I noticed there are a lot of rather rude responses to some questions on the list. Granted, some of the questions seem obvious, but probably are not to the person asking. I see terse, sometimes even sarcastic answers given by some of the "experts."
I will probably be banned for posting this, but after noting this, I had to say something.
1. Every forum on earth has that. I even have a buddy who says that he was part of a Straight Razor Shaving board and there were people on there like that.... Talking about shaving.

2. Could be some of the people answering aren't well rested which makes them grumpy.

Rob K

Post by Rob K » Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:17 pm

Rudeness on the internet.lol People can be pretty awful. It would be awesome if people put more effort into improving their communication skills and show more compassion.

As far as the forum goes it would be nice if the rude comments were cleaned up. A little or a lot, any level would be appreciated. Being a new member I can see how many people would be turned off by the atmosphere. Until your here for a while you don't know who to ignore. It can be tough to figure out. The easiest thing is to stop reading the forum.

I find when I spend too much time on the internet that I get cranky. Imagine if your on the forum reading and posting everyday on just about every thread. There's no doubt your going to lose your patience and say things that you probably shouldn't; or in a way that you shouldn't. I don't see this as an excuse to be rude, but it will happen from time to time. If the poor behavior keeps happening then I feel bad for the person, because they are obviously not having a good time in their life.

I have a long list of tests, doctors, diagnoses and treatments over a 3 year span that cost me many thousands of dollars. Up until a couple months ago I was still feeling horrible everyday. I went through several stretches in the last few years where I really didn't care if I lived. Giving up on the doctors and turning to the internet for answers, I sought to figure out how I can adjust my cpap pressures. I eventually found the Sleepyhead software and this forum. Several of the regular members that you mention helped me to figure out that the pressures were not adequate on my machine and they were very generous in helping me get proper treatment. Looking back I had an AHI of around 3-5, occasionally more, and I felt like you could have rolled me in the grave and covered me with dirt and I would have been alright with that. It turns out I was having many health problems that were being caused by chronic sleep deprivation. Now my AHI is around 1 most nights and I feel totally different. Things have improved a lot. I no longer feel terrible everyday. My life is now getting turned around and moving in a good direction. Rude or kind hearted, thank you for your gift.

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:44 pm

I have seen more dead horses flogged on this forum than anywhere I 've ever been! You people need to be reported to the A.S.P.C.A.
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

Uncle_Bob

Post by Uncle_Bob » Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:38 pm

PR has some issues, that is obvious, I hope he can get some help with his issues.
But everyone has a right to post here as long as the Goodmans are happy with it.
It is a shame to see a bad apple spoiling the barrel.
I know I have choices. I can ignore the PR posts and move on, I can also take my cpap.com purchases elsewhere
The Goodmans do read the forum posts.
tick tock tick tock ....

prodigyplace

Post by prodigyplace » Wed Apr 12, 2017 6:06 am

Uncle_Bob wrote:PR has some issues, that is obvious, I hope he can get some help with his issues.
But everyone has a right to post here as long as the Goodmans are happy with it.
It is a shame to see a bad apple spoiling the barrel.
I know I have choices. I can ignore the PR posts and move on, I can also take my cpap.com purchases elsewhere
The Goodmans do read the forum posts.
tick tock tick tock ....
They may respond to PMs. I think they may only briefly scan this forum once a week or so.

Please visit our sponsor, CPAP.com at https://www.cpap.com/ for all your CPAP needs.

DeadlySleep

Post by DeadlySleep » Wed Apr 12, 2017 7:01 am

Jimmycrackhorn wrote:Every forum on earth has that. I even have a buddy who says that he was part of a Straight Razor Shaving board and there were people on there like that.... Talking about shaving.
I am a member of that forum. Your buddy is correct. It's cutthroat.

Bertha d'Blues

Post by Bertha d'Blues » Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:25 am

DeadlySleep: "cutthroat"