Beard versus Mask - A Solution

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Reuven Gruber

Beard versus Mask - A Solution

Post by Reuven Gruber » Thu Mar 30, 2017 1:15 am

I have a full beard and full mustache.

Logically I started off with nasal pillows (ResMed P10). Unfortunately several times a night my mouth was blown open with unpleasant results. I briefly considered using a chin strap but was frightened off by the possibility of suffocation should the CAP machine fail or the power go out

Next I tried a full face mask (ResMed F10). Initially I was able to get a good seal but after a while the leak rate became unacceptable

So I returned to the P10 pillows, reduced my CPAP high pressure limit from 10 to 8 and problem solved - mouth not blown open and AHI is very low

SleepyToo2

Re: Beard versus Mask - A Solution

Post by SleepyToo2 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 4:56 am

I have a full beard, and I use the P10 pillows. I also use a chin strap. The power has gone out a couple of times, but I am still here. The body's defends mechanism will wake you long before you suffocate. Maybe you would get used to not using the strap after a while like some people claim, but it was taking too long in my case and I am now used to using the strap.

DreamStalker

Post by DreamStalker » Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:01 am

I wear a beard much like yours. Nasal pillow system here too (Swift LT).

I ended up training myself to keep my tongue on the roof of my mouth. This helps create a seal between your nasal passage way and your mouth.

It does take a while to train and develop the muscle memory (a few weeks). While awake just remember to keep you tongue stuck tight to the roof of you mouth at all times ... well except when drinking, eating, or talking. After a few weeks you will become aware that your tongue stays stuck up to the roof of your mouth even when you're not paying attention to it. Yes this technique requires that you be able to breathe through your nose at all times. If you have excess sinus congestion due to respiratory infection and/or allergies ... consider going on low-carb or better yet, a ketogenic diet, or even fast. By eliminating excess carbs from your diet, your body stops producing excess glycoproteins (the mucous and runny nose gunk).

In the mean time, you can help keep your lips from flapping in the wind by placing something tight over your lips (obviously, tape is not a great idea for guys with facial hair like us). I use to use a fleece head ban over my mouth ... find a way to adjust it for tightness (I sewed mine to fit). Nonetheless, training the tongue was the key to my success for mitigating mouth leaks while maintaining optimal CPAP pressure (11 cm for me).

Best of luck and persevere.
President-pretender, J. Biden, said "the DNC has built the largest voter fraud organization in US history". Too bad they didn’t build the smartest voter fraud organization and got caught.

D.H.

Post by D.H. » Thu Mar 30, 2017 2:30 pm

I have a beard and a mustache, but I only use a nasal mask. For me, it is a complete non-issue.

I guess that if I needed a FF mask, that might be different.

dvejr

Post by dvejr » Sat Apr 01, 2017 11:38 pm

I also use nasal pillows, and I also have had problems over the years with mouth blow-out.

One thing that has helped is that I turned ON the exhale relief feature on my machine. It had been OFF because I don't seem to "need" it to breathe comfortably. But it turned out that exhaling "into the wind" was, while not noticeably uncomfortable for me, more likely to force my mouth to vent air.

Doug