Call For Questions: Fisher and Paykel Thermosmart Technology

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
forumadmin
Site Admin

Call For Questions: Fisher and Paykel Thermosmart Technology

Post by forumadmin » Fri Jul 28, 2006 1:17 pm

Greetings CPAPtalkers,

Fisher and Paykel's Thermosmart technology is now on the block for any and all questions from cpaptalkers or lurkers. In about a week we will compile your questions, add our own, send it off for answers and post the results.

This is a really neat rainout eliminating technology that hasn't really been "picked up" by CPAPtalk. The interview that comes back will be one part Q&A and one part "how it works"/"why it matters".

Here are some relevant links if you'd like to learn more:

HC604 with Thermosmart

https://www.cpap.com/productpage/fisher ... -cpap.html

The Basics of Thermosmart

https://www.cpap.com/cpap-humidification.php

I welcome all questions and comments.

Johnny

CPAPopedia Keywords Contained In This Post (Click For Definition): fisher and paykel, rainout

Last edited by forumadmin on Sun Aug 27, 2006 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

northernlights

Post by northernlights » Fri Jul 28, 2006 1:27 pm

Although I'm relatively new to CPAPage (3 months), I can vouch for the technology that F & P are using. I've been using their machine since I've started and have never had a problem with rainout. And it had been extremely humid here (Toronto) the last two months.
I can also add that I haven't felt this energetic for years! Don't forget that us Canucks were the original hosers!

Steve.

"The longest journey begins with one step."

GoofyUT

F&P

Post by GoofyUT » Fri Jul 28, 2006 2:38 pm

I too will vouch for the excellence of F&P's Thermosmart technology with its integrated heated hose and its chip-controlled humidification. I never experienced any rain-out and enjoyed what I consider to be optimal levels of humidifcation throughout my use of it.

I did experience a certain stuffiness to the air during the night. I believe that this was caused by the heated hose kicking on, and it was bad enough to wake mje. I switched to a ResMed S8 principlely for that reason, though I took advantage of that switch to go to auto-titration.

So my question is:

1) Have you suggestions about how to control the temperature that the air gets warmed to by the heated hose to avoid stuffiness and awakenings? I found that adjusting both or either the "comfort" or the "climate" controls was of no use, since as soon as I backed off on either, I experienced dryness and irritation in my nose; and,

2) Does F&P anticipate a launch of an auto-titrating machine with full efficacy and compliance data capabilites, anytime soon? Will it incorporate Thermosmart technology??? (If so, SIGN ME UP!!!!!)

Many thanks, Johnny!!!

Chuck

People are dying every day in Darfur simply for who they are!!! PLEASE HELP THEM!
http://www.savedarfur.org

roster

Post by roster » Fri Jul 28, 2006 4:13 pm

Looks like a great product. I am very well aware of the need to get enough humidity when using cpap therapy. Assuming that rainout is no longer an issue, is there such a problem as getting too much humidity? Will "too much" humidity have a deleterious effect on any of the body's air passages or lungs?

CPAPopedia Keywords Contained In This Post (Click For Definition): rainout, CPAP

Last edited by roster on Sat Jul 29, 2006 6:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

oldgearhead

Post by oldgearhead » Fri Jul 28, 2006 4:59 pm

Yes,
To much will dampen your face, and cause your mask to slip around.
is there such a problem as getting too much humidity?

cchase

Post by cchase » Fri Jul 28, 2006 5:28 pm

The F&P Thermosmart technology is only available with with their SleepStyle 600 CPAP machine and can not be purchased as a humidifier alone (the HC150 uses the Ambient Tracking technology). Do they have plans to develop a stand-alone humidifer with Thermosmart?

-Chris

Titrator

Post by Titrator » Sun Jul 30, 2006 6:09 am

How does the HC604 compare to other cpap machines when it comes to how loud it is?

GoofyUT

Noise

Post by GoofyUT » Sun Jul 30, 2006 8:08 am

Good question for F&P! In my experience, the HC608 (same as 604 except with automatic altitude compensation) is the QUIETEST xPAP I have used, by far. ResMed S8 Vantage in noisiest (though still quiet), Respironics Auto is next, and the F&P you can't tell is running, except by the air it produces.

Hope this helps.

Chuck

People are dying every day in Darfur simply for who they are!!! PLEASE HELP THEM!
http://www.savedarfur.org

thisgeek

Post by thisgeek » Sun Jul 30, 2006 11:28 pm

I've got an HC608. In terms of noise, I can barely hear it. I can just about make out the slight whine it makes when powering up, but there is virtually no noise from it at all.

In terms of the thermosmart - I honestly can't say how good it is in terms of other CPAPs out there, as this is the only machine I've ever owned; however I often have issues with rainout. I often have sinusitus, and my sinuses in general are in bad shape, so I need fairly high humidification. Even with the tube heat set at maximum, I still get lots of condensation in my mask, in some cases it tends to dribble out of the seams of my comfortgel mask. It was just as bad with my flexifit HC405, so the mask makes no difference.

I've tried changing the humidification / tube heat settings, but I've had no luck with finding a decent compromise.

I'm probably just an idiot. :p

Titrator

Post by Titrator » Mon Jul 31, 2006 12:42 am

Do F&P have plans to implement the heated hose technology on an autopap or bipap?

Ted

Titrator

Post by Titrator » Mon Jul 31, 2006 12:43 am

Are the heated hose replacements available? What is the warranty of the heated hose and what is the warranty of the machine and the humdifier?

Ted

sinkem

Post by sinkem » Mon Jul 31, 2006 1:42 pm

I believe any automatic device should have a manual override for extreme cases. I would like to turn off my "Ambient Tracking Technology" on my HC150. I have it set a max and I get just enough moisture with high flow rates (any time its close to 20). When the temp drops and the machine compensates, I wake up with a dry mouth. I've never had a rainout problem with my high flow rates. I would like higher settings.

Mile High Sleeper

question for F&P

Post by Mile High Sleeper » Mon Jul 31, 2006 4:07 pm

What are the power requirements? Could I run it in my camper with a large AGM battery (absorbed glass mat, gel)? Now I just run my APAP but don't have enough power for a heated humidifier.

Problems cannot be solved at the same level of awareness that created them. - Albert Einstein

Do not wait for leaders; do it alone, person to person. - Mother Teresa

rested gal

Post by rested gal » Tue Aug 01, 2006 3:36 am

Have you (F&P) thought about designing a separate heated hose, a simple one like sleepzone's "heated cpap tube", that could be used with any manufacturer's machine and any manufacturer's heated humidifier? If you've considered that and decided not to manufacture a "stand-alone" heated hose, what was the reason?
ResMed S9 VPAP Auto (ASV)
Humidifier: Integrated + Climate Control hose
Mask: Aeiomed Headrest (deconstructed, with homemade straps
3M painters tape over mouth
ALL LINKS by rested gal:
viewtopic.php?t=17435

Titrator

Post by Titrator » Tue Aug 01, 2006 7:31 am

What is the size and weight of the HC 604?