I'm so tired, I'm ready to cry

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
bunnypoo

I'm so tired, I'm ready to cry

Post by bunnypoo » Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:57 am

I started using my machine on the 15th of this month so I know I'm still in an adjustment period but I'm just so emotionally drained.

I started with the Dreamwear mask but it kept moving off my nose when I turned to my side as I was sleeping and it shot air into my eyes. I switched to the AirFit P10 which stays right where it needs to be when I turn over in my sleep. However, the hose is always in my way and I'm not sure what to do with it. I've placed it behind my pillow but it will get caught sometimes. I've thought about those hooks that hang it over your head but the hose seems awfully short for that.

Then there's the knee pain that just seems to come on right as I fall asleep. Or the restless leg. Or it's too hot in my room. Or my sheets have bunched up. I'm just so tired. I work full time and go to school full time and my grades have started slipping and I've started napping on my lunch. When does this get better? I've got a call with my doctor's office today to check in and I'm not going to give up. I think I just need some words of encouragement.

Attila

Re: I'm so tired, I'm ready to cry

Post by Attila » Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:11 am

Hang in there. Your sleeps will definitely improve. I too use the Airfit P10 and I use a collapsible stand that holds the hose up and out of my way. The bottom of the stand goes between your mattress and boxspring and there is a hook above that you hang the hose off of. It's your supply hose that gets hung off the hook. There are many such solution to keep the hose up and out of your way, just do a search here and on the Apnea Board forum. You'll find many solutions that people have come up with. Aside from that, you'll want to post your results from Sleepyhead software and then people will be able to help you dial in your settings to better suit you.

Bottom line is don't feel discouraged. As clichéd as it sounds, it will definitely get better! I promise. Especially if you are willing to work with everyone to help you figure out solutions to your issues. They aren't issues that others have not already experienced before.
Last edited by Attila on Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

jnk...

Post by jnk... » Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:23 am

You are already showing a problem-solving can-do spirit that will serve you well on your PAP journey. Bad sleep can make anyone emotionally drained, and even though starting PAP therapy is a life-saving change, it is still change, with all the stresses that come with any change.

Make a list of your sleep/bed issues then try to order them in order of significance so you can address them one problem at a time in an organized fashion, not all at once.

Once your breathing at night is better from the PAP, then it is time to focus on sleep-hygiene improvements and lifestyle changes that become possible with successful PAP therapy.

Keep posting and let this community be of support to you. And the ones here who aren't supportive, let them be an entertainment to you. Because here at cpaptalk.com, you always get dinner AND a show!
-Jeff (AS10/P30i)

Accounts to put on the foe list: Me. I often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

D.H.

Post by D.H. » Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:24 am

Instead of saying "I'm so tired, I'm ready to cry," say "I'm so tired, I'm ready to sleep!

If you're not using a heated hose, you can get a second hose and a connector. Also, you can get an 8" hose or a 10" hose instead of the standard 6" hose. That should be long enough for the hose hanger.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:32 am

Even if you are using a heated hose you can add another hose if you need more length. Of course you would lose some of the warmth from the heated hose (assuming you are using it warmer) but there are ways to deal with it if it becomes a problem.

How far away from you is your machine? Maybe a little lightweight hose like this one would be enough added length?
https://www.cpap.com/productpage/circad ... -tube.html

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

bunnypoo

Post by bunnypoo » Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:36 am

I'm using a heated hose, I've already adjusted my humidity up because of a dry and bleeding nose. My sinuses and throat feel perfectly fine in the morning, not dry or sore. Definitely much better than before I had the cpap. My humidifier chamber and mask get cleaned every day. I didn't know I could get a longer hose, I will try that with an over the bed hook thing.

Any other tricks I should try? Maybe a pillow for side sleepers?

Here are my average #'s for the last week if they make a difference:

AHI - 0.65
OI - 0.24
HI - 0.41
FLI - 0.26
Leak Rate - 0.20
Avg Pressure - 5.05
Min Pressure - 4
Max Pressure 7.5

prodigyplace

Post by prodigyplace » Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:53 am

Perhaps one of these? I have not tried them.
https://www.cpap.com/productpage/double ... -cpap.html

Please visit our sponsor, CPAP.com at https://www.cpap.com/ for all your CPAP needs.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:58 am

bunnypoo wrote:Maybe a pillow for side sleepers?
Are you talking about one of those pillows with the cut outs on the sides?
If so...before spending the big buck on one go to Walmart and get one of the cheap memory foam pillows and make your own cut outs. An electric knife works wonders for cutting or even a box blade type of cutter.
The if you decide you like it you can decide on spending the big bucks if you want to.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Attila

Post by Attila » Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:01 pm

A smaller good quality memory foam pillow that is fairly supportive would serve you just as well as one of those pricey "designed for CPAP pillows." When you sleep you shift around when you turn to the side your mask area will not automatically fall within that cut out area...

Cardsfan

Post by Cardsfan » Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:19 pm

You may be able to run your hose behind the headboard, then over it to you. So that the hose rests on the headboard.
Or, I have something called a Cozy Hoze Boss. that attaches the hose to the wall above my head. Works great.
Another thing is called a Snuggle Hose cover. This makes the hose feel like part of the covers against your skin, instead of feeling the plastic. It also eliminates the clicking noise when the hose rubs against the furniture.
I have one of those pillows and LOVE IT. It is the one called SleePAP cpap pillow.

bunnypoo

Post by bunnypoo » Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:37 pm

Pugsy wrote:
bunnypoo wrote:Maybe a pillow for side sleepers?
Are you talking about one of those pillows with the cut outs on the sides?
If so...before spending the big buck on one go to Walmart and get one of the cheap memory foam pillows and make your own cut outs. An electric knife works wonders for cutting or even a box blade type of cutter.
The if you decide you like it you can decide on spending the big bucks if you want to.

That's a really good idea! Thanks!

TASmart

Post by TASmart » Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:44 pm

When you are struggling to sleep all of those annoyances you cited in the second paragraph become raging anger that keeps you from sleeping. I know, happens to me too. One of the most important things to do is to stop worrying about sleep and time. I literally had to hide my alarm clock so I did not look at it every 15 minutes or so. Every time you look at it resets you to not be asleep, and reminds you to worry about not being asleep.

As far as the hose, I place my APAP on a mike crate right beside my bed and it's normal heated hose is more than long enough, I run it down across my chest over the covers and it does not bother me in the least. Mask leaks, once you get the damn mask adjusted, leaks go away and you can relax and stop listening for leaks. In other words, relax and let sleep happen. Even if your mask leaks and you get no benefit from the therapy, you will be no worse than before.

Best wishes and good luck on your studies!
All posts reflect my own opinion based on my experience and reading.
Your mileage may vary
Past performance is no guarantee of future results
Consult with your own physician as people very

steveinmaine

Post by steveinmaine » Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:03 pm

I hear you. It's very difficult to find your way through times like this when you're not thinking as clearly as you could. Before I got treatment, everything I did felt like driving through a fog, and I wasn't trying to do near as much as you are.

My father had similar problems, and he did as suggested above, in cutting a hole in his pillow. Just try to make one small adjustment each day. Some will work, some won't, but you'll be getting closer to where you want to be.

Also, about the hot room, try running a fan. Even if it's not aimed at you, it can cool you off, and the white noise might help you sleep. I also found it helpful to not allow myself to worry while in bed because things seem worse when lying awake in the dark, it never helps the situation any, and the best thing I can do in my room is sleep. Takes some practice to guide your thoughts to better ones, but it's worth it.

Good luck!

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Wed Mar 29, 2017 2:03 pm

On one trip, I forgot my travel hose hanger.
One visit to the nearest dollar store yielded duck tape and scrunchies enough to do the job . . .
---(((Plus snacks and drinks to make the mini fridge TRAP far less tempting.)))
The cheap tape peeled easily off the motel's fake headboard when it was time to leave.

kteague

Post by kteague » Wed Mar 29, 2017 2:21 pm

bunnypoo wrote:...Then there's the knee pain that just seems to come on right as I fall asleep. Or the restless leg...
Looks like you're getting plenty of input on optimizing your CPAP therapy. I can relate to the knee pain. Not sure why it hurts when lying down but didn't all evening while sitting in my recliner. Spent a lot of nights lately sleeping in the recliner just because of the knee pain. Have you seen a doctor about it? About the restless leg, did your sleep studies make any mention of limb movements? They can be big sleep disruptors when present. Hang in there. While people with insomnia issues are usually advised to not take naps, if you feel your daily functioning is too compromised, my advice is get sleep whenever you can while you sort through things like adjusting to the CPAP therapy. Once you've done all you can and have gotten comfortable with things you can pick a time to focus on sleep consolidation. Let me know what your reports said about your legs.