Is CPAP making my sleep apnea worse when I don't use it?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
LSAT

Re: Is CPAP making my sleep apnea worse when I don't use it?

Post by LSAT » Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:58 am

New guy1234 wrote:I have the same problem. My central apnea is now worse if I don't use my cpap
If you are not using your CPAP, how are you measuring your central apnea ?

gregoryjames

Post by gregoryjames » Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:43 am

TASmart wrote:I feel pretty certain that CPAP will not make your apnea worse, once you become accustomed to getting enough sleep and oxygen you will notice not having them. So you will notice the feeling more.
Mind you, I only have a couple month experience here to draw from. I was one who really did not "feel" tired before my APAP BUTTTTTT.....

Last night I took off my mask in the night (putting dog up on the bed) and for some reason did not put it back on. I woke up around my normal time (7 am) (supine - aargh) and was EXHAUSTED. I put the mask back on and laid in bed until almost 9 am. Over the past month I am up at 7am and feeling refreshed.. never hit the snooze anymore. On that day (from just one night where I only wore it the first hour in bed) even getting up at 9 am I was really exhausted still and was dragging the entire day. The ONLY difference was not having that mask on during the night.

I know wonder if that was not the "NORMAL" feeling I used to have during the day that I did not really even notice due to long term sleep apnea before starting a couple months ago on the machine. Or, maybe it was just in my head since I knew I had forgot to wear it - ha.

Just my one personal experience. I do know that I will be FAR more cautious to put that mask back on in the night now. I do not even really notice it any longer which is GREAT.

Greg

Post by Guest » Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:23 am

New guy1234 wrote:I have the same problem. My central apnea is now worse if I don't use my cpap
I have not read thru this entire thread so forgive me if I missed something but from the title - I will say - not sure if not using your cpap makes apnea (any apnea) worse or if now you can tell the diff between a good nites sleep and a bad nite.

I think you would have to find some way to measure things - how many events can only be measured when going "untreated". How you feel is very subjective.

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:53 pm

Perhaps the person who has used XPAP, but feels they are doing better not using XPAP, have lost so many brain cells before XPAP, so that they no longer are fit to conclude how they really feel. After all ignorance is Bliss! Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

D.H.

Post by D.H. » Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:09 pm

Would you not treat high blood pressure because it could be worse if you discontinue the treatment?

Would you not treat diabetes because it could be worse if you discontinue the treatment?

Yes, Sleep Apnea as serious as the above conditions (and not unrelated).

gregoryjames

Post by gregoryjames » Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:56 am

D.H. wrote:Would you not treat high blood pressure because it could be worse if you discontinue the treatment?

Would you not treat diabetes because it could be worse if you discontinue the treatment?

Yes, Sleep Apnea as serious as the above conditions (and not unrelated).
Thanks for listing all of my afflictions in one reply.. and, YES, I treat all 3 (and a couple extra like gout).