Need some advice on something I read, and a product...

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
J.P.

Need some advice on something I read, and a product...

Post by J.P. » Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:33 pm

Hello all! First off, I just want to thank whomever runs this forum. There's tons of info here, and I'm sure I'm not the only one who appreciates it. I want to apologize in advance, because I'm sure my question has been asked before. I promise I searched the forum before asking, but I also want to get an expert opinion on something specific I read on Amazon, and I'd like you to look at a machine they're selling. Let me back up a minute...

I have been using a CPAP machine now for years with very little issues. It's a dinosaur of a machine, from what I understand. It's the same Respironics RemStar Auto M Series machine the VA gave me over 8 years ago, and it has made a HUGE difference in my life! Recently, I decided to look into other options because I travel a lot in my profession. I'm tired of my CPAP machine taking up so much room in my suitcase, so I started looking for travel CPAP machines. That's when I began to read about the APAP machine. In my research, I read this in response to a question asked on Amazon: "...The prescribed pressure setting is the maximum pressure needed to keep your airway open all night during the sleep study. CPAP setting is based entirely on the sleep study, which is a snapshot of our body condition. You need to know your prescribed therapy pressure in order to use a CPAP properly...XT Auto is an APAP (Automatic Positive Air Pressure) and it has additional pressure sensors with unique algorithm. It will auto-titrate to find your correct therapy pressure setting. It is like having a sleep study every night. As we age, gain/lose weight or just had a few drinks, the therapy pressure needed changes. APAP will always find the correct pressure to fully open the airway. APAP can do both APAP or CPAP modes. It does both. Of course, most APAP buyers just set it on APAP mode and let the machine auto-find the needed therapy pressure..."

So here are my questions:
1) Is this information accurate, or is this someone just trying to sell a machine? If it is accurate, wouldn't it make more sense to get an APAP machine?
2) My machine is a Respironics RemStar AUTO. Does the "auto" mean I've had an APAP machine all along?
3) Would you look at this product on Amazon and give me your opinion? Does anyone here own this product? I don't mind the price if it does what it's supposed to do.

https://www.amazon.com/Apex-Medical-XT- ... ullets-btf

Thanks in advance!

LSAT

Re: Need some advice on something I read, and a product...

Post by LSAT » Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:30 pm

Answers.....
1. YES...Probably 60-70% of the people on this board have Autosets
2. YES
3. You could do better than that machine.

palerider

Post by palerider » Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:43 pm

J.P. wrote: I want to apologize in advance, because I'm sure my question has been asked before. !
  1. mostly
  2. yes
  3. it's not one of the better ones.
ya know, if you pop yours off the humidifier base, it's much smaller.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Post by Guest » Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:46 pm

If yours says Auto on it- it is an APAP. You need to spend some time and learn how to find out what your settings are. To be honest with you I would prefer the M auto to this XT but that is me. This XT is prob not compatible with Sleepyhead but you prob don't care about that.
Please note that Heated humidifier is NOT included for this listing.
If you need or like humidifier keep that in mind. Also the hosts of this forum (cpap dot com) sells it for $30 less but you would need a doctors order to buy from them.

Personally, I would contact the VA to see if they will provide a newer cpap. IF you have been using yours they likely will. I worry more about comfort than size when I travel. But again that is me.

J.P.

Post by J.P. » Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:33 pm

LSAT wrote:3. You could do better than that machine.
Okay. Can you suggest one? It has to be small, and I don't need a humidifier.

J.P.

Post by J.P. » Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:38 pm

palerider wrote:
J.P. wrote: ya know, if you pop yours off the humidifier base, it's much smaller.
Nope. The humidifier is inside the body. Taking it out makes no difference in overall size.

J.P.

Post by J.P. » Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:47 pm

[quote="Guest"]This XT is prob not compatible with Sleepyhead but you prob don't care about that.[quote] Nope. Don't even know what that is. The VA will provide a newer CPAP, but not a small one. Like I said, I have been on CPAP for 8 years with no issues. I don't need the ramp setting, and I don't use the humidifier. I don't really need any bells and whistles at all. I just need the thing to blow air reliably, and not take up too much room in my suitcase. So which machine do you all recommend?

palerider

Post by palerider » Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:16 pm

J.P. wrote:
palerider wrote:
J.P. wrote: ya know, if you pop yours off the humidifier base, it's much smaller.
Nope. The humidifier is inside the body. Taking it out makes no difference in overall size.
nope, you're wrong about that.

the humidifier on the M has a large base that the blower snaps on to.

it looks like this if you remove the humidifier:

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

grayghost4

Post by grayghost4 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:00 pm

If you're not part of the solution you're just scumming up the bottom of the beaker!

Get the Clinicians manual here : http://apneaboard.com/adjust-cpap-press ... tup-manual

Holden4th

Post by Holden4th » Fri Mar 24, 2017 2:42 am

I've just purchased a Heat Moisture Exchanger as I'm traveling overseas and only want to take the blower part of the APAP onto the plane and leave the humidifier in my checked luggage. Supposedly, this will do the same job as an humidifier. It's a small tube less than 10 cms and connects between your mask and your hose. I haven't used it yet but it's very cheap and hopefully will do the job while I'm traveling.

So, as Palerider suggests, leave the humidifier part of your unit behind.

J.P.

Post by J.P. » Fri Mar 24, 2017 4:11 am

it looks like this if you remove the humidifier:
Image[/quote]

My mistake. I haven't had the thing apart in awhile, but have you seen one of these machines? In person? You can't run it like that.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Fri Mar 24, 2017 4:15 am

J.P. wrote:have you seen one of these machines? In person? You can't run it like that.
Sure you can. My first machine was the M series machine. It comes apart and you can hook the hose up directly to the blower and not use the humidifier.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

J.P.

Post by J.P. » Fri Mar 24, 2017 4:18 am

Pugsy wrote:
J.P. wrote:have you seen one of these machines? In person? You can't run it like that.
Sure you can. My first machine was the M series machine. It comes apart and you can hook the hose up directly to the blower and not use the humidifier.
Is there some kind of an adapter that mates the hose with the machine? The hose connects directly into the back of the humidifier, but it's a different setup where the unit connects to the humidifier.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Fri Mar 24, 2017 4:26 am

There was some sort of plate I think. Piece of plastic. I thought that it could be used without that piece but this was 8 or 9 years ago when I had it....so my memory might not be spot on. It's been some years now since I used the M series.

I think this is needed. My machine came with it but I never used it without the humidifier. I don't like not having added moisture
https://www.cpap.com/productpage/Respir ... -Port.html

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

J.P.

Post by J.P. » Fri Mar 24, 2017 6:24 am

Pugsy wrote:There was some sort of plate I think. Piece of plastic. I thought that it could be used without that piece but this was 8 or 9 years ago when I had it....so my memory might not be spot on. It's been some years now since I used the M series.

I think this is needed. My machine came with it but I never used it without the humidifier. I don't like not having added moisture
https://www.cpap.com/productpage/Respir ... -Port.html
That looks like a good fix. Much appreciated. You just saved me several hundred dollars.