Bi level machine with 30 cwp

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
danielz

Re: Bi level machine with 30 cwp

Post by danielz » Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:55 pm

palerider wrote: *waves hands* the COPD should be under E0470, not E0471, the COPD doesn't have a backup rate, but the ST-A does.

the S9 COPD is a vpap S with default settings that are better for COPD, an alarm module, and a limit of 30 instead of 25, but the settings available on it are the same (except for the max ipap) as the S.
So I would be under E0470 with the s9 copd machine? with no strong ability to argue for a machine that gets billed under E0471? Is there anything about the aircurve st-a I should feel strongly about?

danielz

Post by danielz » Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:57 pm

palerider wrote:
danielz wrote:Hi, I'm new to all of this so please forgive any errors or ignorance in my questions.

My prescription that I just received is: ipap 27, epap 23, ti min 1.0 sec, ti max 2.0 sec, rise 500 msec, trigger medium, cycle medium.
interesting, and by interesting, I mean strange, prescription.

the S9 COPD defaults are TiMin 0.3, TiMax 1, rise 150ms, trigger med, cycle high.

as I understand it, with COPD it's harder to exhale, so the default settings give you a short inhalation, sensitive to the end of your inhalation, and lots of time to exhale.

your rx.... not so much.
What aspect of the prescription is strange? I get that it's not like a COPD prescription, but that doesn't seem surprising as I am getting the COPD machine only because it goes up to a high pressure, not because of COPD itself. Is there some other reason it's strange? (genuinely interested.)

palerider

Post by palerider » Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:00 pm

danielz wrote:What aspect of the prescription is strange? I get that it's not like a COPD prescription, but that doesn't seem surprising as I am getting the COPD machine only because it goes up to a high pressure, not because of COPD itself. Is there some other reason it's strange? (genuinely interested.)
sorry, my bad, all this talk about COPD got me thinking you had it.

I wonder if you really need that much pressure... and with a non-auto machine, ... ugh.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:12 pm

You might go here and request the clinical/provider manual for both machines so you can see the differences.
http://www.apneaboard.com/adjust-cpap-p ... tup-manual

ResMed AirCurve 10 ST-A
ResMed S9 VPAP COPD Noninvasive Ventilator

Backup rates are for when you aren't breathing on your own like from central apnea so unless you have something else going on that would require something the S9 doesn't do it's going to be a tough argument.
S9 models have been discontinued but there is still inventory available but once that inventory is gone someone needing over 25 cm pressure would have to use the newer model AirCurve 10 ST-A even though they might not need the other stuff it will do.

It's not like the S9 COPD model is a crap model. It's still a really good machine.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.