Why all the complaining?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
LilBuckaroo

Why all the complaining?

Post by LilBuckaroo » Tue Feb 01, 2005 1:20 pm

I have been "on the hose" since Jan 3, 05. I don't actually like it, but I have been thru worse things. I was diagnosed with a blood disorder in the mid '60's. At that time, I was a sophomore in high school. I spent some time in the hospital while it was diagnosed. Trust me, bone marrow samples are no fun!! As a result, I was put on prednisone. Made me blow up like a blimp!! Even males have some vanity!! Positive note though, it kept me out of the Army!!
Compared to that, CPAP, masks, etc. are a cake walk. I have had my share of mask leaks, machine problems, etc., but I tweaked them, and for now, all is fine. I have been tweaking things for years to get them the way that I want them to work. May have to tweak them again tonite, who knows or cares? Haven't slept so well in years. My sleep doc and DME are good people. Couldn't ask for better.
This is not a perfect world, so why expect perfection? My mask, an UltraMirage FF, was not custom made. I had to adjust the straps for a comfortable, leak proof fit. I must have it because there are times that I wake up during the night and wonder "where is that fool mask"? I touch my face, and say "there it is, you dumby".
My CPAP, an S7 Lightweight w/humidifier, set at 10, has an adjustment for the quantity of humidification. Sometimes, I run it on maximum for the benefit. Actually like the warm, moist air blowing on my face. Does wonders for my stopped up nose. Distilled water doesn't cost that much, and I would be using the electricity anyway to run the machine.
Alright, enough of my preaching, we have this condition and must learn to live with it!!! The alternative is not good either!!
So, good sleep and keep on PAPin'

wading thru the muck!

Post by wading thru the muck! » Tue Feb 01, 2005 1:27 pm

Herky,

Thanks for providing some real perspective to how good or bad OSA really is. It can be frustrating, but it's far from impossible.
Sincerely,
wading thru the muck of the sleep study/DME/Insurance money pit!

Ionizer

Post by Ionizer » Tue Feb 01, 2005 1:42 pm

I'm with you Herky, Years ago they would have just gave em a trach and told em to pop out the plug when they went to bed. Imagine having to use one of those cpaps from the 80s. We have it good now. Why do some insist they have to be "victims".

Learn to love "the hose"

Ionizer

LilBuckaroo

Why are the complaing?

Post by LilBuckaroo » Tue Feb 01, 2005 1:51 pm

Wading, i was only saying what I feel to be true!

If it hurt some feelings, so be it!!

btw, how did you put your "saying" at the bottom of your message? would like to try it.

Thanks

LilBuckaroo

Why all the complaining?

Post by LilBuckaroo » Tue Feb 01, 2005 1:57 pm

So true, Ionizer. We have the problem and it won't go away!!!

So, learn to live with it or possibly die. I ain't ready to die yet, plus my wife would be really irritated with me if I did!!

glassgal

complaining?

Post by glassgal » Tue Feb 01, 2005 3:38 pm

Hello all you hosers!

While I agree that complaining doesn't solve the problem, expressing yourself and "venting" can be satisfying and helpful. With that said, I have not particularly enjoyed adjusting to the hose, but I am feeling better every day, so I know that it is something that I must do. I am getting used to the air flow, the leaks (which have lessened with a better fit on the mask) and the straps and hose. Humans are very wonderful, complex and adaptive creatures! We can learn to live with all kinds of problems and still have a good, productive life. Most of us on this forum have other medical problems of some sort to deal with, so deal with them, don't let them ruin your life! Once you accept that the problem is there, must be dealt with and won't go away, you learn to live with it and try not to let it slow you down or prevent you from doing what you enjoy. In fact rejoice in the fact that you are HERE to enjoy the things that give you pleasure and that you find rewarding.

That kind of turned into a rant -- sorry. This is something that I feel very strongly about -- we all do -- it's our lives that are being affected!

I am off to Hawaii for a while -- CPAP in tow -- aloha!

Jane

Paul B

Post by Paul B » Tue Feb 01, 2005 4:20 pm

Jane, my wife and I are headed to Maui on Friday. I'm sure we'll have good weather and with my Autopap I'll sleep well every night. Have a great time!

glassgal

Post by glassgal » Tue Feb 01, 2005 4:54 pm

Thanks Paul -- you too! I'm off to Kauai -- the weather is good thru the 10 day forecast -- after today! The whales are usually active and fun to watch this time of year!

I am having my new autopap (420e) delivered to our family's condo there -- according to Titrator (Ted) it should ship on Friday (with the new humidifier). For now I am hauling my rather large S7 w/ humidifier on the plane. I will ship the non used one home. Better than going without! I definitely feel better on the hose!

Sleep well and enjoy the islands!

Jane

bozmon

Post by bozmon » Tue Feb 01, 2005 5:15 pm

Wow...all this vacation news sounds great! Which got me to thinking...how about a CPAP cruise???? We could call it...Hosers with Hangovers...or the SEA PAP CRUISE!

glassgal

Post by glassgal » Tue Feb 01, 2005 5:48 pm

Airplanes, cars, solid land -- ok -- no boats for this seasick hosehead! Good idea if it doesn't involve a boat! I guess that would make it a convention -- are there any such things out there -- sounds like fun!?

Got to pack -- happy hosing & aloha!

Jane

rested gal

Post by rested gal » Wed Feb 02, 2005 5:15 am

LOL, "Sea Pap Cruise"! Good one, bozmon!

Big Snore

Post by Big Snore » Wed Feb 02, 2005 12:05 pm

Sea pap cruise?? I love it!!

WHen where and what cruise line???? I have been on 2 carnival cruises and loved it, very casual. But should we have them up the wattage for all of our machines????
Its always breezy in here....

chrisp

Post by chrisp » Wed Feb 02, 2005 12:10 pm

Perhaps cpap.com could set up a cruise from Houston. If a church can do it so can they. We could all wear our masks to the costume ball. LOL

Cheers

bozmon

Post by bozmon » Wed Feb 02, 2005 12:16 pm

Somebody should contact the CPAP manufacturers. I'm sure they would sponsor it to help subsidize the cost of such an event. Just think of it, they could bring all the different types of masks, machines, etc. to try (and buy!)

Liam1965

Post by Liam1965 » Wed Feb 02, 2005 12:25 pm

bozmon wrote:Somebody should contact the CPAP manufacturers. I'm sure they would sponsor it to help subsidize the cost of such an event. Just think of it, they could bring all the different types of masks, machines, etc. to try (and buy!)
Yeah, because I can't think of ANYTHING more hygienic than a cruise full of people trying the same masks on over and over.

Liam, Licenced Killjoy.