Upgrading firmware for better data collection, Dreamstation

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
skanson

Upgrading firmware for better data collection, Dreamstation

Post by skanson » Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:59 pm

So as many of us now, there are various models of the Phillips Dreamstation. The auto-CPAP model collects a whole lot more data than the normal 'brick' model.

Being a newbie, I purchased the normal CPAP model not knowing this and now I'm interested in quantifying my sleep apnea.

Anyway, my question.

If I upgraded my Dreamstation firmware to the auto-CPAP firmware, do you all think that would enhance the machine's data capability? I don't want to use my machine AS an auto, just want the upgraded data collection.

Would there be any risks or things to look out for if using the normal CPAP with Auto-CPAP firmware? (other than the normal risks of upgrading firmware).

Dunno if anyone has tried this, but there is info out there on how to tinker with the firmware on these devices:

http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread ... ion?page=3

Would appreciate any advice

jtravel

Re: Upgrading firmware for better data collection, Dreamstation

Post by jtravel » Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:38 pm

Their is good reason to believe that they have the same hardware and it's only the Firmware version that makes it a full time Auto instead of a 30 day trial auto.
You would however need access to the different firmware versions and whatever hardware interface they were using to download and update the firmware.
This is very common in many consumer electronic devices.
I have not seen the same type of interest however in hacking of Cpap Machines.
That is not to say that some are not doing it.

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:50 pm

How many spare XPAPs do you have? I'd start by doing the one with the highest hours first, saving the lowest hour machine for last, that way you will still have one to use. Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

gosman

Post by gosman » Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:36 pm

This brings up a good point. When you get your Dreamstation, can you ask for the latest firmware? What is the latest firmware right now on the Dreamstation?

Wulfman...

Post by Wulfman... » Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:05 pm

skanson wrote:So as many of us now, there are various models of the Phillips Dreamstation. The auto-CPAP model collects a whole lot more data than the normal 'brick' model.

Being a newbie, I purchased the normal CPAP model not knowing this and now I'm interested in quantifying my sleep apnea.

Anyway, my question.

If I upgraded my Dreamstation firmware to the auto-CPAP firmware, do you all think that would enhance the machine's data capability? I don't want to use my machine AS an auto, just want the upgraded data collection.

Would there be any risks or things to look out for if using the normal CPAP with Auto-CPAP firmware? (other than the normal risks of upgrading firmware).

Dunno if anyone has tried this, but there is info out there on how to tinker with the firmware on these devices:

http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread ... ion?page=3

Would appreciate any advice
If you currently have a non-data-capable (aka "brick") machine, it's doubtful that any firmware upgrade would convert it to a fully-data-capable machine. I doubt that the true bricks have the required sensors inside them to work with the firmware.

Den

(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

palerider

Post by palerider » Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:27 pm

Wulfman... wrote:If you currently have a non-data-capable (aka "brick") machine, it's doubtful that any firmware upgrade would convert it to a fully-data-capable machine. I doubt that the true bricks have the required sensors inside them to work with the firmware.
thus spake the voice of ignorance.

required sensors: pressure and flow.

can't very well do anything without those two, unless talking about a machine that gets set with a knob and a manometer.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Wulfman...

Post by Wulfman... » Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:41 pm

palerider wrote:
Wulfman... wrote:If you currently have a non-data-capable (aka "brick") machine, it's doubtful that any firmware upgrade would convert it to a fully-data-capable machine. I doubt that the true bricks have the required sensors inside them to work with the firmware.

can't very well do anything without those two, unless talking about a machine that gets set with a knob and a manometer.
If you don't have the service manuals, don't expose YOUR ignorance.

There are three different PCA boards (part numbers) for the CPAP/APAP models......CPAP, CPAP Pro and CPAP Auto.
Two different PCA boards (part numbers) for the BiPAP models......Pro and Auto.

Den

(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:52 pm

I'll wait until the firmware that bluetooths to the included 50 inch video screen projection screen with the free subscription to netflix and HBO. Jim

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

palerider

Post by palerider » Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:39 pm

Wulfman... wrote:
palerider wrote:

There are three different PCA boards (part numbers) for the CPAP/APAP models......CPAP, CPAP Pro and CPAP Auto.
well, having taken apart a variety of machines, something I know your managerial self hasn't.... I do know more about what is inside them than you do.

but, hey... you'll think what you want.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

greyhound

Post by greyhound » Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:40 pm

Goofproof wrote:I'll wait until the firmware that bluetooths to the included 50 inch video screen projection screen with the free subscription to netflix and HBO. Jim
Jim, if you ever do upgrade, you might have to tape over the 50" screen at night so the light doesn't keep you awake.

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:38 pm

greyhound wrote:
Goofproof wrote:I'll wait until the firmware that bluetooths to the included 50 inch video screen projection screen with the free subscription to netflix and HBO. Jim
Jim, if you ever do upgrade, you might have to tape over the 50" screen at night so the light doesn't keep you awake.
It's a built in projector, i'll just paint one wall black! In reality I have a 48 inch on the wall by my bed I run all night every night, running the same series all night "Monroe" every night. Jim.

jtravel

Post by jtravel » Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:49 pm

Wulfman... wrote: If you currently have a non-data-capable (aka "brick") machine, it's doubtful that any firmware upgrade would convert it to a fully-data-capable machine. I doubt that the true bricks have the required sensors inside them to work with the firmware.
Den
They have the Hardware and sensors. That is why they can operate in auto mode for a 30 day trial. It's the firmware/software that is loaded into a memory chip in the machine that Turns on and off different capabilities.
This is very common and often referred to as Software rights in the electronics industry.
The hardware can support many additional functions but unless you pay for the upgraded software rights you don't get it.
It makes perfect sense for the Manufacture to keep the hardware build the same across the product line.
They use the same hardware platform and then The controlling Feature is the Firmware/software they install at the end of the assembly-line.

jtravel

Post by jtravel » Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:07 pm

Wulfman... wrote: If you don't have the service manuals, don't expose YOUR ignorance.
Den
Example: The Resmed manual is the same for Airsense Autoset 1o, auto set for her,Elite and Cpap.
The hardware is the same. The board part number will be different based on what Firmware is installed into the Memory Chip on the board.
The board part number will be different based on the firmware programmed into the memory chip on the board.
This is the way the industry works.

palerider

Post by palerider » Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:37 pm

jtravel wrote:
Wulfman... wrote: If you don't have the service manuals, don't expose YOUR ignorance.
Den
Example: The Resmed manual is the same for Airsense Autoset 1o, auto set for her,Elite and Cpap.
The hardware is the same. The board part number will be different based on what Firmware is installed into the Memory Chip on the board.
The board part number will be different based on the firmware programmed into the memory chip on the board.
This is the way the industry works.
indeed, and speaking for resmed, the components on those differentially part numbered boards are the same, since it costs them less to have one production line for them, and just flash a different firmware at the end (and stamp on a part number) than it would be to make a variety of different boards.

the cost of a pressure sensor, and/or flow sensor is an insignificant cost of the overall parts list.

palerider

Post by palerider » Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:42 pm

Wulfman... wrote:
palerider wrote:

as a matter of fact, I *DO* have a service manual for the system one 50 series.
REMstar and BiPAP Sleep Therapy Device
Service & Technical Reference Manual

© 2010 Koninklijke Philips Electronics N.V.

The schematics on pages 9-2 through 9-6 are for the
following device model numbers:
• 45X
• 55X
• 65X
• 75X
The schematics on pages 9-7 through 9-11 are for the
following device model numbers:
• 15X
• 25X
etc.