Respironics Dream Station

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
gosman

Respironics Dream Station

Post by gosman » Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:38 pm

I am currently using a Resmed S9 and love it. But I am due a new machine. I've tried the Resmed Airsense 10 but I thought it was louder than the S9 and the water container was much less than the S9. Now my medical provider is recommending the Rispironics Dream Station. So I would like to shout out to the forum on those using the Dream Station. Have you found it to be extremely quite? Also is the water container as large as the S9?

Pugsy

Re: Respironics Dream Station

Post by Pugsy » Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:49 pm

DreamStation water chamber capacity is listed at 325 mL
https://www.cpap.com/productpage/pr-dre ... ifier.html

AirSense 10 water chamber capacity is listed at 380 mL/
https://www.cpap.com/productpage/resmed ... #specs-tab

S9 water chamber capacity is listed at 380 mL.
https://www.cpap.com/productpage/resmed ... ntrol.html

So your observation that the chamber on the AirSense held less water was incorrect.
Now I own both the S9 and an AirCurve (has the same water chamber as AirSense) and while visually it looks like it is less water in the AirCurve...it isn't and in fact I can cheat easier with the AirCurve and go a little over the max line without a problem.
I never could do that with the S9 because the air would blow air into the hose if I over filled the S9.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

linuxman

Post by linuxman » Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:53 pm

My Dreamstation is very quiet. My wife doesn't hear it at all on the other side of the bed, but we do have a fan running as well. I've never heard a Resmed machine so I can't compare the two. Maybe someone who's heard both will comment.

Additional Comments: Sleepyhead software

palerider

Post by palerider » Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:54 pm

gosman wrote:I am currently using a Resmed S9 and love it. But I am due a new machine. I've tried the Resmed Airsense 10 but I thought it was louder than the S9 and the water container was much less than the S9. Now my medical provider is recommending the Rispironics Dream Station. So I would like to shout out to the forum on those using the Dream Station. Have you found it to be extremely quite? Also is the water container as large as the S9?
how many times are you going to spam the same nonsense?

both the air10 and the s9 have a capacity of 380 ml.

you're going to be sorely disappointed when you head over to cpap.com and look at the capacity of the dreamstation water chamber though.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Thu Mar 16, 2017 2:03 pm

linuxman wrote:My Dreamstation is very quiet. My wife doesn't hear it at all on the other side of the bed, but we do have a fan running as well. I've never heard a Resmed machine so I can't compare the two. Maybe someone who's heard both will comment.
I haven't had a chance to compare the new DreamStation models but I have used past Respironics models (and currently own a S9 and AirCurve 10 and a PR S1 BiPap 760 model) and the 760 is maybe...maybe a teeny tiny bit more noisy in terms of motor noise.
My husband says they are all silent...he can't even tell any of them are on.
I can't really tell much difference between the S9 and the AirCurve...I thought initially I could but that was before water was added to the AirCurve chamber. With water they are both silent.
I have to wonder about people complaining about the AirSense/AirCurve models being noisy...unless they have a lemon I just can't understand it. ResMeds have always been virtually silent for me.

Now the hose/mask/breathing noise...that's a whole different thing and isn't related to the machine motor noise.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

linuxman

Post by linuxman » Thu Mar 16, 2017 2:11 pm

Pugsy wrote:
Now the hose/mask/breathing noise...that's a whole different thing and isn't related to the machine motor noise.
Amen to that. Fortunately I came way after the days of the basic non-diffused ports I see folks talking about. All of my masks seem reasonably quite, but the P10 ....golden. Wife won't let me use anything else now (not that I would... the P10 is just awesome for me).

Additional Comments: Sleepyhead software

gosman

Post by gosman » Thu Mar 16, 2017 2:49 pm

It may be possible that my A10 was defective. And I know the chamber was less than the S9. I could go for days with my heated line on the S9 and only get one day on the A10! Both set at 70 degrees!

As far as spamming several threads- what is wrong with asking around? Let the forum director determine this!

desiderata

Post by desiderata » Thu Mar 16, 2017 2:54 pm

Last edited by desiderata on Sun May 07, 2017 5:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.

gosman

Post by gosman » Thu Mar 16, 2017 2:56 pm

I guess I have a specially quite S9 and yes despite my aging- I have pretty good ears!

D.H.

Post by D.H. » Thu Mar 16, 2017 2:58 pm

I've posted it before, but I'll post it again. My review of the DreamStation, both the good an the bad. I have a Phillips Respironics Dream Station Auto CPAP. It’s my fourth machine since 1999; the others were all “bricks.”

Advantages:
• Automatic means that it will raise the pressure as needed when it senses distress. I think I fell more refreshed than before.
• Good statistics are generated, so you can see how you slept, and make adjustments as needed. In addition, stats are good for your doctor to see how you are doing.
• Machine is very quiet.
• Heated hose is very good, never had rainout despite full setting on humidity.
• Automatic altitude adjustment (good for travel).
• Leak compensation.
• Auto/on and auto/off can be activated and deactivated separately.
• Puts out the prescribed pressure more precisely than my old machine (yes, I verified this).

Disadvantages:
• Machine is a bit larger than the major competing machine.
• Sometimes, there is a burning smell, especially after a potty break. I’m pretty sure it’s harmless.
• Frequently, the water does not last the whole night. I generally wake up at least once overnight, so I refill it at that time. This might not work for everybody.
• Some have complained about the brightness of the display when you turn it off and back on, such as for a potty break. I don’t find this a problem. In fact, I use the light to reattach my mask to the hose.
• The power cord has a proprietary signal, so you cannot use a different cord, even if the voltage, wattage, amperage, and fitting are all identical. This means that if you need a replacement cord (or a spare cord), you have to get the cord specific to Dream Stations. If you want to use a battery (such as for camping and electrical outages), you have to buy an $80 proprietary device to generate this signal.

palerider

Post by palerider » Thu Mar 16, 2017 3:00 pm

gosman wrote:It may be possible that my A10 was defective. And I know the chamber was less than the S9.
so, you think that 380ml is less than 380ml?

maybe your s9 is defective and not heating the water enough... eh?

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Thu Mar 16, 2017 3:01 pm

gosman wrote:And I know the chamber was less than the S9. I could go for days with my heated line on the S9 and only get one day on the A10! Both set at 70 degrees!
No. The water chamber does NOT hold less but it is very possible that the AirSense 10 used more water depending on the settings chosen and the ambient humidity in the room.
380 mL for the S9 per the product specs...380 mL for the AirSense per the product specs.
380 equals 380....
Now water consumption..that's a totally different matter.
I am noticing that I am using more water with my AirCurve than I did with my S9 at close to the same humidity settings.

palerider

Post by palerider » Thu Mar 16, 2017 3:04 pm

Pugsy wrote:
gosman wrote:And I know the chamber was less than the S9. I could go for days with my heated line on the S9 and only get one day on the A10! Both set at 70 degrees!
No. The water chamber does NOT hold less but it is very possible that the AirSense 10 used more water depending on the settings chosen and the ambient humidity in the room.
380 mL for the S9 per the product specs...380 mL for the AirSense per the product specs.
380 equals 380....
Now water consumption..that's a totally different matter.
I am noticing that I am using more water with my AirCurve than I did with my S9 at close to the same humidity settings.
I saw a chart some time back that compared the humidity settings on the s9 to what they'd be on the air10... let's see...
ah, yes: http://www.resmed.com/us/dam/documents/ ... sa_eng.pdf

dunno if that helps make sense of things.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Thu Mar 16, 2017 3:16 pm

palerider wrote:I saw a chart some time back that compared the humidity settings on the s9 to what they'd be on the air10... let's see...
ah, yes: http://www.resmed.com/us/dam/documents/ ... sa_eng.pdf

dunno if that helps make sense of things.
Been using the "auto" setting on the AirCurve...so 85%.
On the S9 I wasn't on auto but manual 6 max for humidity and whatever temp I felt comfortable.
I would have thought max of 6 on the S9 would be more humidity than the 85% of Auto on the AirCurve.
(Shrugs)...I would rarely get close to running out of water on the S9...on the AirCurve it is more likely than not that I will run out of water. It is what it is though...so I deal with it.
As long as my nose is happy I really don't care how much water it wants to burn up.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Thu Mar 16, 2017 3:21 pm

gosman wrote:I guess I have a specially quite S9 and yes despite my aging- I have pretty good ears!

I don't know what to tell you about the noise level on the AirSense.
I assume you had water in the chamber when you were using it. I did find that with my AirCurve that it was noticeable louder without water...with water it is silent.