Need help picking a new machine!

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
gasp

Need help picking a new machine!

Post by gasp » Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:35 am

I love my S9 Elite™ CPAP Machine with EPR™ so much I bought an extra, and it looks like the machine is no longer sold at CPAP.com, so I'm glad I did. However, I am helping a friend, new to apnea devices place an entire order on CPAP.com and don't know which machine I should choose.

I want It to allow the user to read the reports easily on a Windows 10 machine. Heated hose capability would be great Humidifier. All the things I've come to love about my machine.

So my beloved CPAPtalk community, what is the most beloved machine out there at this time?

Thanks
Gasp

Pugsy

Re: Need help picking a new machine!

Post by Pugsy » Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:48 am

Do you think she needs apap capabilites or will fixed pressure work?

In ResMed the AirSense 10 model line is the latest...really nice machines
Avoid anything with AirStart in the model line as they are total bricks and never heated hose capable.

Avoid the AirSense 10 CPAP (cpap is a model name)...it's a half assed brick fixed pressure machine

Full efficacy data
AirSense 10 Elite...fixed cpap pressure only
AirSense 10 Autoset...fixed and apap pressure modes available.
AirSense 10 AutoSet for Her...fixed and apap pressure modes available just like with the regular auto set but it also has an addition apap mode with a special algorithm targeting women...
All covered in the manual...it's a combo manual
https://sleep.tnet.com/home/files/resme ... -guide.pdf

If wanting Respironics
DreamStation CPAP (half assed brick so avoid it)

Full efficacy models
DreamStation Pro...fixed cpap
DreamStation Auto CPAP...has both modes (cpap and apap).

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:54 am

gasp wrote:I love my S9 Elite™ CPAP Machine with EPR™ so much I bought an extra, and it looks like the machine is no longer sold at CPAP.com, so I'm glad I did. However, I am helping a friend, new to apnea devices place an entire order on CPAP.com and don't know which machine I should choose.

I want It to allow the user to read the reports easily on a Windows 10 machine. Heated hose capability would be great Humidifier. All the things I've come to love about my machine.

So my beloved CPAPtalk community, what is the most beloved machine out there at this time?

Thanks
Gasp

If you love your S9 machine so much, why not have your friend get the same. S9 autosets ate still available on sale.
https://www.cpap.com/productpage/resmed ... ifier.html

D.H.

Post by D.H. » Wed Mar 08, 2017 12:51 pm

I have a Phillips Respironics Dream Station Auto CPAP. It’s my fourth machine since 1999; the others were all “bricks.”

Advantages:
• Automatic means that it will raise the pressure as needed when it senses distress. I think I fell more refreshed than before.
• Good statistics are generated, so you can see how you slept, and make adjustments as needed. In addition, stats are good for your doctor to see how you are doing.
• Machine is very quiet.
• Heated hose is very good, never had rainout despite full setting on humidity.
• Automatic altitude adjustment (good for travel).
• Leak compensation.
• Auto/on and auto/off can be activated and deactivated separately.
• Puts out the prescribed pressure more precisely than my old machine (yes, I verified this).

Disadvantages:
• Machine is a bit larger than the major competing machine.
• Sometimes, there is a burning smell, especially after a potty break. I’m pretty sure it’s harmless.
• Frequently, the water does not last the whole night. I generally wake up at least once overnight, so I refill it at that time. This might not work for everybody.
• Some have complained about the brightness of the display when you turn it off and back on, such as for a potty break. I don’t find this a problem. In fact, I use the light to put my mask back on.
• The power cord has a proprietary signal, so you cannot use a different cord, even if the voltage, wattage, amperage, and fitting are all identical. This means that if you need a replacement cord (or a spare cord), you have to get the cord specific to Dream Stations. If you want to use a battery (such as for camping and electrical outages), you have to buy an $80 proprietary device to generate this signal.

gasp

Post by gasp » Wed Mar 08, 2017 12:53 pm

"Her" is a he lol. I should have mentioned that. I LOVE my pink machine, but don't know of he would just ro get that machine.

Pugsy, I'm looking for APAP, full auto just like my pink beauty.

gasp

Post by gasp » Wed Mar 08, 2017 1:00 pm

Sorry for typos, on my smartphone. I'll check spelling before sending now.

He lives in an extremely dry climate part of the year, so a humidifier that runs out of water is no good. I still want him to have a heated hose for when he is in a very humid ocean climate part of the year.

Given all this, what machine do you recommend?

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Wed Mar 08, 2017 1:16 pm

Paying out of pocket with no insurance? Money is no object or money is tight?
Want new with full warranty and all that?
Prefer cpap.com or consider other source?

This machine if money is tight will do a great job. Humidifier and heated hose included in the price of $549
https://www.cpap.com/productpage/pr-sys ... tooth.html

The S9 AutoSet for Her..it's pink but you can't see the color at night with the lights out but if it bugs him too much I think that secondwindcpap.com might have a new open box S9 Autoset with humidifier....looks like $699

These are the options that are least expensive....the older models.

You can find the equivalent in the new AirSense and Dreamstation APAPs easily enough.

If money is really tight and warranty doesn't matter...you might check with forum member grayghost4 and see what he has. He's got some brand new machines as well as used.
He can't offer warranty of course but if the machine is still covered under warranty...acbio.com will do warranty work.

Of the 2 brands...I think ResMed's exhale relief is a little superior to Respironics when pressures are in the teens...if someone needs exhale relief...that might be a factor. It's not a huge difference but a little difference.
I have owned and still own both brands but I lean towards ResMed as being the one I like the best.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

gasp

Post by gasp » Wed Mar 08, 2017 1:25 pm

I am so not good at this anymore. I should have thought money Pugsy. Money no object.

gasp

Post by gasp » Wed Mar 08, 2017 1:27 pm

Want new machine. Cpap.com if possible. Recommended alternative would be appreciated!

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Wed Mar 08, 2017 1:34 pm

If it were me...money no object and using cpap.com.
the AirSense 10 AutoSet.
Since he is a guy he probably wouldn't like the flowers on the "for Her" AutoSet.

See that was easy.
You/he won't be sorry.
I am using the AirCurve 10 right now which is a bilevel version of the AirSense 10...and I am using the heated hose now...
I love it. The water chamber is slightly larger...not much but a tiny bit larger and I use a lot of water because my nose likes to snort water.
Humidity customization has a wide range available with the heated hose.
Heated hose has a swivel where it attaches to the back of the machine which takes the torque off the hose which is a minor pro but a pro nonetheless.

gasp

Post by gasp » Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:40 pm

Pugsy wrote:If it were me...money no object and using cpap.com.
the AirSense 10 AutoSet.
Since he is a guy he probably wouldn't like the flowers on the "for Her" AutoSet.

See that was easy.
You/he won't be sorry. . ..
So, he bought a couple of the AirSense 10 AutoSets, one for each location. Two questions remain:

1) Where do we get the software?
2) Will a 6 to 20 range work as a good starting range? It is his RX range. But the Dr wasn't all that familiar with auto vs straight CPAP, do left the range rather open.

palerider

Post by palerider » Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:56 pm

gasp wrote:1) Where do we get the software?
2) Will a 6 to 20 range work as a good starting range? It is his RX range. But the Dr wasn't all that familiar with auto vs straight CPAP, do left the range rather open.
1) see my sig.

2) that's an acceptable starting range, but pull the data after a day or two, and start tuning it.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:02 pm

If you want ResScan software send me a private message. It's Windows only though so if you want to use a computer other than Windows it won't work unless you put Windows on it. There's a brand new version...5.7

I second what PR said...6 to 20 is a good starting point and once you get a couple of nights of data you can then decide if further tweaking is needed based on what you see.

klv329

Post by klv329 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 7:42 pm

it would be nice if shopgoodwill.com sold more cpaps on auction, but...wishful thinking....$61 is current bid for an S9 autoset....

https://www.shopgoodwill.com/auctions/R ... 79169.html

Uncle_Bob

Post by Uncle_Bob » Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:05 am

palerider wrote:
gasp wrote:1) Where do we get the software?
1) see my sig.

2) that's an acceptable starting range, but pull the data after a day or two, and start tuning it.
3) Turn off the bells and whistles i.e ramp and EPR unless absolutely necessary.

If he goes with a pink S9 then he can skin it, looks like you have to upload your own designs now but they used to have several ones you could choose from including a good one with Arnold Schwarzenegger and "Get to da choppa"

http://www.skinit.com/create-your-own/c ... humidifier

I would not worry about the software to begin with, rather try to relax and get used to the therapy. The clinical menu will show you the most useful stats such as leak rate and usage hours before you get tempted to obsess over all the other data.
Last edited by Uncle_Bob on Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:48 am, edited 2 times in total.