Need help picking a new machine!

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Pugsy

Re: Need help picking a new machine!

Post by Pugsy » Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:31 am

prodigyplace wrote:I remember reading a thread where our moderator said children should not rant in help threads.
See viewtopic.php?f=1&t=114176&p=1104690#p1104690
Yeah...they shouldn't but they do and we try to deflect the ugliness when we can but it can't happen unless all the guilty parties are willing to take their fighting somewhere else...and no one wants to do that.

I happen to know Gasp from way back when I first started therapy...she's not a newbie at all and she can handle herself as well as the next person.
So in this situation I am not nearly as upset with the bickering as I would be if she was brand new to therapy.
Trust me...she has seen much worse from some of the old timers who are no longer with us and survived.

She knows that the bantering back and forth between me and PR is all in good fun. We are just joking around.
Now when she starts a new thread with her hubby's new information and reports...we will go back to business and put the joking aside.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

prodigyplace

Post by prodigyplace » Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:39 am

Pugsy wrote:
prodigyplace wrote:I remember reading a thread where our moderator said children should not rant in help threads.
Yeah...they shouldn't but they do and we try to deflect the ugliness when we can but it can't happen unless all the guilty parties are willing to take their fighting somewhere else...and no one wants to do that.
Isn't that what a "time out" (temporary ban) is for? Sometimes discipline is needed to restore order.

Please visit our sponsor, CPAP.com at https://www.cpap.com/ for all your CPAP needs.

palerider

Post by palerider » Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:50 am

prodigyplace wrote:
Pugsy wrote:
Isn't that what a "time out" (temporary ban) is for? Sometimes discipline is needed to restore order.
since you've hopped in to the 'derail the thread' group, I'll respond...

"if you don't like the way things are here, there are other forums you might like better". perhaps apneaboard, where they're more concerned with feelings than making sure the best information is given.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:06 am

prodigyplace wrote:Isn't that what a "time out" (temporary ban) is for? Sometimes discipline is needed to restore order.
Yeah...originally and idea for someone to just take their fighting out of a newbie helping thread.
There was no "temporary ban"...just the wish for people who want to do nothing but sling mud for 2 or 3 pages of the thread to take the mud slinging somewhere else. Didn't have to be my Duke it out thread...that was just an example.

In this thread there was a couple of barbed comments...I think we all know who said what but it didn't evolve into 2 or 3 pages of barbs and Gasp isn't a newbie at all.

My main problem when things would get derailed with the bickering was in newbie threads where there was 2 or 3 really helpful posts and 15 or 20 mud slinging barbs which would totally derail the newbie thread.
Forum veterans...they can handle things well enough themselves so I don't worry about them.
My main concern has always been with the newbies getting the help they needed and not have their entire thread become a cesspool of bickering.
Pointing out the bickering....not needed...we all see it for what it is and the guilty parties already know it.
When we point it out...it's like pouring gasoline on a fire. It sure doesn't put the fire out.

If UB and PR had continued with their mud slinging here to the point of many, many ugly barbs and this thread had been a newbie thread.....maybe I would have suggested politely that they take the fight elsewhere but they didn't or haven't yet and Gasp has seen much worse from some of the old timers here that were a lot testier than PR and UB here...I saw no need to do anything here and she has joined in the fun with her bantering...so she is okay with what has been said. If she had not been okay with it...I wouldn't be joking around.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

jnk...

Post by jnk... » Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:42 am

If anyone can handle herself in this saloon, it's gasp.

This has been a very helpful thread for me to read. Thanks for the question (gasp) and the especially well-worded answers (particularly Pugs).
-Jeff (AS10/P30i)

Accounts to put on the foe list: Me. I often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Uncle_Bob

Post by Uncle_Bob » Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:25 pm

gasp wrote:
Uncle_Bob wrote: 3) Turn off the bells and whistles i.e ramp and EPR unless absolutely necessary.
Why?
Starting with basic therapy and gradually adding changes to see what works over time works best for most. Throwing in all unnecessary variables from the get go can cause confusion and delay.

Making a single change and observing the results in data over a period of week worked well for myself and others when I started out. Making changes every day or two expecting results in a week or two is highly likely to result in one chasing their own tail.
gasp wrote: I'm no pro, but knowing the full data from the beginning of my therapy helped me lower my AHI significantly. The forum helped me. I had high leaks from everything from using the wrong mask for my face, mouth open, mask being unseated. I saw that it was always the early morning hoursthe leaks were the worst. I figured out that was when I turned into my stomach, my old default sleeping position.

But more importantly, I had more events when the pressure got too high, which I wouldn't have learned unless I could see the data. I lowered my max range and my AHI came right down.
Yes a full data is essential, my point was you can get your leak and events directly from machines that support it. Obsessing over all the graphs in software until you have leaks under control and thus accurate event data can be a waste of time.

I hope things go well with whatever machine your friend decides to go with

gasp

Post by gasp » Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:16 am

Pugsy wrote:

I happen to know Gasp from way back when I first started therapy...she's not a newbie at all and she can handle herself as well as the next person.
So in this situation I am not nearly as upset with the bickering as I would be if she was brand new to therapy.
Trust me...she has seen much worse from some of the old timers who are no longer with us and survived.

She knows that the bantering back and forth between me and PR is all in good fun. We are just joking around.
Now when she starts a new thread with her hubby's new information and reports...we will go back to business and put the joking aside.
Well said Pugsy! Btw not my husband, rather a really good friend of ours.

I edited this post. Originally we thought the order was sent to wrong address, it appears it was "our bad" as the kids say, we didn't check our email to clarify the order. It is on its way now. I will post our impressions of the AirSense S10 when it arrives in a new thread.

Last edited by gasp on Tue Apr 04, 2017 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gasp

Post by gasp » Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:20 am

jnk... wrote:If anyone can handle herself in this saloon, it's gasp.

This has been a very helpful thread for me to read. Thanks for the question (gasp) and the especially well-worded answers (particularly Pugs).
You're welcome By the way, nice avatar jnk!

jnk...

Post by jnk... » Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:30 am

gasp wrote:
jnk... wrote:If anyone can handle herself in this saloon, it's gasp.

You're welcome By the way, nice avatar jnk!
Thanks, gasp.

It was a gig in NC last year for someone's wedding anniversary.

I like it because it makes me laugh. A bass player I know tells me that whenever I play that Mini Martin, it looks to him like I'm playing my tie tack.
-Jeff (AS10/P30i)

Accounts to put on the foe list: Me. I often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Morbius

Post by Morbius » Sat Jun 24, 2017 6:13 am

Pugsy wrote:Sludge aka whoever he was using at the time...was an asshole a good bit of the time but he knew his shit about this sleep apnea therapy stuff.
My, haven't we developed a bad case of potty mouth!

Post by Guest » Sat Jun 24, 2017 8:04 am

Morbius wrote:
Pugsy wrote:Sludge aka whoever he was using at the time...was an asshole a good bit of the time but he knew his shit about this sleep apnea therapy stuff.
My, haven't we developed a bad case of potty mouth!
Just like work where they blame everything on the last person to leave only this is some delayed reaction festering up.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sat Jun 24, 2017 8:06 am

Morbius wrote: My, haven't we developed a bad case of potty mouth!
Ah Shucks,....no didn't develop it...always had it but try not to show it too much.
Here lately it's been a tough go.

Good to see you again.

jnk...

Post by jnk... » Sat Jun 24, 2017 8:14 am

Moribus!

I accidentally say "darn" sometimes. But I'm working on it.
-Jeff (AS10/P30i)

Morbius

Post by Morbius » Sat Jun 24, 2017 8:31 am

jnk... wrote:Moribus!
"Morbius."

Looked for you in DUMBO at the Bike Tour. Guess you ain't there no more...

jnk...

Post by jnk... » Sat Jun 24, 2017 8:48 am

Morbius wrote:
jnk... wrote:Moribus!
"Morbius."

Looked for you in DUMBO at the Bike Tour. Guess you ain't there no more...
Oops. Didn't mean to use a Latin euphemism for your name.

Left DUMBO September 28. Been on the lake since then. Still feels odd living in America instead of NYC.

You and yours doin' well? How many miles this morning?
-Jeff (AS10/P30i)