Some Fitbit devices to start tracking sleep stages

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
kong

Re: Some Fitbit devices to start tracking sleep stages

Post by kong » Tue May 02, 2017 11:17 am

I used a Fitbit Blaze with a heart rate monitor. However, it's rare for the heart rate shown on the Blaze to come remotely close to the heart rate shown by using a chest strap monitor.

I'd be quite skeptical of getting a Fitbit device (or any user operated device) to check sleep stages.

It's probably best to focus right now on the sleep data that a good CPAP machine is able to record.

tedtomato

Post by tedtomato » Mon Jun 12, 2017 2:03 pm

As I was the OP, and there was a lot of skepticism on whether the technology would be accurate:

http://gadgetsandwearables.com/2017/06/ ... leep-data/

"The results of Fitbit’s study, which were scored independently by polysomnography technicians, demonstrate that these devices can be used to track sleep stages with a reasonable degree of accuracy in normal adult sleepers"

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Mon Jun 12, 2017 2:18 pm

Fitbit--still more than I would spend.

TASmart

Post by TASmart » Mon Jun 12, 2017 2:27 pm

Of course the scientist in me asks what exactly does "reasonably accurate" mean? And if my fitbit shows my sleep to still be deficient in REM and Stage 3/4 sleep should I go back to the Sleep Dr? Generally I get both REM and deep phase sleep somewhat lower than desirable, so does that mean despite AHI in the 1-5 range, and feeling so much better, can I get even better? I do have a diagnosis of mild PLMD, but am hesitant to take any medication for it. Maybe it is time to start that?
All posts reflect my own opinion based on my experience and reading.
Your mileage may vary
Past performance is no guarantee of future results
Consult with your own physician as people very

tedtomato

Post by tedtomato » Wed Jun 14, 2017 3:39 pm

I have been on CPAP for about 6 months, for mild OSA. I am now getting an AHI below 1, so that issue can be considered treated.

However, I still don't feel that refreshed in the mornings, still moving a lot during the nights, and Fitbit band is reporting very low REM and deep sleep hours, compared to normal/expected durations.

I had a PSG sleep study last week (without and with my CPAP mask), and due to get the results this week. As I was wearing my Fitbit band, I will hopefully be able to compare results.

TASmart

Post by TASmart » Wed Jun 14, 2017 5:55 pm

tedtomato wrote:I have been on CPAP for about 6 months, for mild OSA. I am now getting an AHI below 1, so that issue can be considered treated.

However, I still don't feel that refreshed in the mornings, still moving a lot during the nights, and Fitbit band is reporting very low REM and deep sleep hours, compared to normal/expected durations.

I had a PSG sleep study last week (without and with my CPAP mask), and due to get the results this week. As I was wearing my Fitbit band, I will hopefully be able to compare results.
Please post when available, I for one would be very interested in a comparison.
Your mileage may vary

Cowboyup

Post by Cowboyup » Thu Jun 15, 2017 12:03 am

Me too Ted

tedtomato

Post by tedtomato » Fri Jun 16, 2017 5:25 pm

Well, it's not looking bad at all. The sleep doctor was actually truly impressed, when we compared the chart from the PSG sleep study (top) with the chart produced by the Fitbit Charge 2 wrist band (bottom).

Deep sleep seems to be quite accurately reported, as well as most REM sleep.

...and before we get the usual negative comments, we are comparing here the output of a consumer device costing only $150 with a full PSG with many electrodes and sensors (equipment costing $$$$), so accuracy is not going to be the same.

One benefit of the PSG study is that it highlighted that OSA was more important than originally thought: home sleep study only showed an AHI of 8 (I only tolerated the machine and sensors for 3 hours), while the PSG study (without CPAP first) showed an AHI of 16 (so twice as much). However, since OSA is apparently worse during the later stages of the night / higher REM stages, and I was wearing CPAP at that time, I suspect the AHI through the whole night would have been even higher.
Last edited by tedtomato on Sat Jun 17, 2017 3:36 am, edited 5 times in total.

TASmart

Post by TASmart » Fri Jun 16, 2017 6:42 pm

Damn, not too bad. Guess I will need to start tracking that too. Thanks for sharing this.
Your mileage may vary

Uncle_Bob

Post by Uncle_Bob » Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:11 pm

palerider wrote: zeo, found on ebay, still the most reliable home device for determining sleep states.

Bad advice, the Zeo has been discontinued and the headband/sensors are not freely available.

If I am mistaken then please advise.