New travel size machine- Resmed Air-Mini- coming soon

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
WindyCity76

Re: New travel size machine- Resmed Air-Mini- coming soon

Post by WindyCity76 » Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:17 am

I'm on the fence with this one. I've tried the Z1 and it was a total let down. Loud whiny blower, crappy feel, had way too many parts to manage and it fell off the nightstand constantly. This Mini looks pretty comparable to the Z1 in size so I worry about the added parts they aren't showing us. To me it's about the total package and how easily it stows!

Not sure if you all know, but Philips has the DreamStation Go coming out before the AirMini.

https://www.sleepapnea.com/products/dev ... tation-go/

I saw a demonstration of the device on facebook.

https://www.facebook.com/MommyTravels/v ... 326005709/

Looks really cool. ultra-slim unit, built-in power supply (major bonus. I lost my brick once. terrible), built-in USB charging port (bonus for me when I travel. convenient outlets can be hard to find sometimes) and the best part was the micro tubing. I think they said 12mm and super flexible. It looked awesome. Can't wait to hear the reviews.

I'm going to learn more, but if the Go can deliver on performance, I'm in the "consolidated" camp over small cpap with a power brick. Doesn't hurt that I'm used to the Philips family of products. Gotta have my A-Flex.

Anyone else see the DreamStation Go?

Hannibal 2

Post by Hannibal 2 » Thu Apr 06, 2017 6:14 am

Looks interesting too, not sure if it has something for those who need a humidifier, the ResMed has a new gismo that hopefully deals with that. Also it doubles in size once you add the battery pack so not quite so portable.

Where have you been? It's alright we know where you've been!"
(You've been in the pipeline...)

WindyCity76

Post by WindyCity76 » Thu Apr 06, 2017 6:51 am

Yeah, I think CPAP batteries are tough for these manufacturers. I think the guy said in the video that it's hard to shrink lithium ion cells. If it lasts 2-3 nights I really don't care if it doubles the size...I just want the capacity. My Z1 battery looked great, but had almost no capacity and costed a fortune...not to mention it took 8 hours to recharge!

Too be honest, I don't have a need for a battery all that often. I'd say 99% of my travel is in a hotel or staying with friends. Just give me a CPAP system that packs well and performs well. Having a battery that can get me through a weekend on one charge is a bonus.

I've used those Heat-Moisture Exchange sponges before (I assume this is the AirMini thing on the hose). There are off the shelf versions that work with any mask. In my opinion they are nothing like real humidification. I gave up on buying them. I use saline spray before bed and manage.

Curious if others have used the HME sponges and what their experiences were.

palerider

Post by palerider » Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:30 am

WindyCity76 wrote:Not sure if you all know, but Philips has the DreamStation Go coming out before the AirMini.
I saw a demonstration of the device on facebook.
wow, typical respironics... make a TRAVEL DEVICE, travel bag is 30$ extra.

also amused by the pic on the web page... "just throw your cpap in the bucket with phones and keys and stuff"

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

ColinP

Post by ColinP » Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:36 pm

WindyCity76 wrote:Looks really cool. ultra-slim unit, built-in power supply (major bonus. I lost my brick once. terrible), built-in USB charging port (bonus for me when I travel. convenient outlets can be hard to find sometimes) and the best part was the micro tubing. I think they said 12mm and super flexible. It looked awesome. Can't wait to hear the reviews
It looked like there was something left on the table when he plugged the battery in, was that the power supply?

I don't like the look of that 12mm hose. That'll seriously reduce the airflow, and I suspect it's not going to last very long either.

palerider wrote:wow, typical respironics... make a TRAVEL DEVICE, travel bag is 30$ extra.
And the bag has no space for the battery, or even the mask. Possibly even the power cord.

Post by Guest » Thu Apr 06, 2017 2:21 pm

I am a Respironics user but....
ColinP wrote:I don't like the look of that 12mm hose.
I don't like the small hose either. Those mini me cpaps may not be able to generate enuff pressure in a standard hose. And they may not have enuff volume for some of us either.

Also the comment he made about putting the mask and hose in checked luggage is senseless. I thought the whole point of carry-on was to ensure you arrived with your cpap. What good is the cpap if your mask and hose are lost somewhere? I wouldn't check parts I would need - suppose you get stuck at the airport (w/o your luggage) which seems to happen more & more lately.

palerider

Post by palerider » Thu Apr 06, 2017 3:08 pm

ColinP wrote:It looked like there was something left on the table when he plugged the battery in, was that the power supply?

I don't like the look of that 12mm hose. That'll seriously reduce the airflow, and I suspect it's not going to last very long either.
looks like that thing he unplugged is the 'power brick'. removed to substitute with the battery.

you can get enough air through a smaller tube, but it'll have to go flow a lot faster which will probably make it noisier.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

wenestvedt

Post by wenestvedt » Thu Apr 06, 2017 6:33 pm

palerider wrote:you can get enough air through a smaller tube, but it'll have to go flow a lot faster which will probably make it noisier.
Would a fabric sleeve around the hose help muffle that?

- Will

P.S. Anyone who hates their Z1 is welcome to send it to me to be safely re-homed!

palerider

Post by palerider » Thu Apr 06, 2017 6:46 pm

wenestvedt wrote:
palerider wrote:you can get enough air through a smaller tube, but it'll have to go flow a lot faster which will probably make it noisier.
Would a fabric sleeve around the hose help muffle that?
stranger things have happened, but I wouldn't bet on it.

paddington

Post by paddington » Thu Apr 06, 2017 7:31 pm

They are releasing the Resmed Airmini CPAP tonight in Australia at a big launch.

gosman

Post by gosman » Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:30 am

Now the real question will be: will insurance pay for it? I suspect it will not.

palerider

Post by palerider » Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:52 am

gosman wrote:Now the real question will be: will insurance pay for it? I suspect it will not.
insurance typically doesn't pay for luxury items. though some may.

RogerSC

Post by RogerSC » Fri Apr 07, 2017 3:28 pm

Make or break for me (in addition to price *smile*) is noise level. If I can sleep with it on, then I'd consider it. The price may be prohibitive, though.

The other thing that I heard was that there isn't a separate humidifier, but there is a way to get humidity into the system. Not sure what it is, or why ResMed is being so secretive about it at this point, especially after their Australian launch yesterday. Guess I'm just a naive non-marketing guy.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Fri Apr 07, 2017 8:04 pm

RogerSC wrote:The other thing that I heard was that there isn't a separate humidifier, but there is a way to get humidity into the system. Not sure what it is,
It's probably going to be the little gadget thing shown in one of the images (that image link won't work now) at the end of the hose near the mask hose.
It's going to work along the lines of this
https://www.cpap.com/productpage/heat-m ... -unit.html
ResMed seems to call it HumidX' humidification ...or they did on the document and image I saw but the link is now broken.

Something to catch the moisture in our exhaled breath and the air coming from the blower passing through the little gadget that should be "moist" from the moisture in our exhaled breath. Now how much moisture is going to be picked up and transferred back to the patient...that's going to be a question to be answered later.
I doubt it will be nearly enough for me since I like to snort water as it is.

The lack of adequate moisture would be a deal breaker for me for sure.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

gosman

Post by gosman » Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:45 pm

Oh my! If you are sick, you will keep re-infecting yourself. I don't think ResMed would do that!