New User 2nd post

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
mrbreezeet1

New User 2nd post

Post by mrbreezeet1 » Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:54 am

Hi, I'm Anthony.I did post yesterday, But don't see my Post?
have not slept well since even as a child.
I had my sleep tests, and got my CPAP machine yesterday.
boy, I sure didn't sleep very well for having that machine on.
Don't know if It's WHY I woke Up, But I kept waking up with a super SUPER dry mouth.
Again, don't know if that's what was waking me up.
I think I actually slept worse last night.
I will keep trying, for a week or so, before I call the home health care provider, But I have a feeling they are not going to be much help.
I have the mask that covers my nose and mouth.
My machine is set on 12, and she said I could push that ramp thing, and that takes me down to 5.
think she said it takes a 1/2 hour to ramp up to 12.
Maybe I need one of the chin straps to keep my mouth closed.
somebody said you could use and ace bandage under my chin, to try it. (keeping my mouth closed)
I feel like the strap might be uncomfortable.
Thanks, I hope this post don't get lost.
Anthony

Hannibal 2

Re: New User 2nd post

Post by Hannibal 2 » Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:14 am

Hi Anthony and welcome!
Could you fill out your equipment details in your profile so that folk can see straight away what you're using and guide you better.

Where have you been? It's alright we know where you've been!"
(You've been in the pipeline...)

Julie

Post by Julie » Tue Mar 07, 2017 1:50 pm

Hi - you might want to try a soft cervical collar that keeps your head off your chest, your airway more open and your jaw closed (if not lips). A lot prefer it to straps or full face masks.

Plus, do you realize that taking half an hour to ramp up to 12 means you're not getting fully treated for all that time? Most of us stopped using the ramp altogether very early on, or at least shortened the ramp time to a much lower #, and only a few who's settings are very high tend to use it t all.

mrbreezeet1

Post by mrbreezeet1 » Tue Mar 07, 2017 3:44 pm

No, I didn't know that about the ramp setting I don't fall asleep right away though, sometimes I am on the Internet a while.
Or should I leave the machine off, while I'm on the Internet, and just put the machine on when I am really trying to get to sleep?

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

mrbreezeet1

Post by mrbreezeet1 » Tue Mar 07, 2017 3:48 pm

I really don't know how to shorten the ramp time, maybe I'll just try without it. So 12 is not very high?
I will get the kind of machine and add it to my profile.
Do I get the collar off of the doctor, or buy it at a drug store.

linuxman

Post by linuxman » Tue Mar 07, 2017 3:51 pm

mrbreezeet1 wrote:I really don't know how to shorten the ramp time, maybe I'll just try without it. So 12 is not very high?
I will get the kind of machine and add it to my profile.
Do I get the collar off of the doctor, or buy it at a drug store.

The ramp is just for your comfort. Just trying turning it off and see how it goes. Most stop using the ramp after a while once they gets used to the pressure. I never used the ramp so never missed it .

Additional Comments: Sleepyhead software

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Tue Mar 07, 2017 3:54 pm

The potential ineffective therapy during ramp only applies to if/when you go to sleep.
If you are on the computer while in bed put the mask on and use the machine. Don't risk falling asleep without the mask which is worse then maybe a little sub optimal pressure during ramp IF you fall asleep before ramp ends.

Later when you get more used to therapy pressures you can decide if you want to shorten or eliminate ramp.

Besides...depending on the machine brand, model and mode you are using there may not be any sub optimal therapy during ramp because of lower pressures not getting the job done. There are some machines that do respond in ramp to apnea events if they should happen.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

mrbreezeet1

Post by mrbreezeet1 » Tue Mar 07, 2017 3:54 pm

Julie wrote:Hi - you might want to try a soft cervical collar that keeps your head off your chest, your airway more open and your jaw closed (if not lips). A lot prefer it to straps or full face masks.

Plus, do you realize that taking half an hour to ramp up to 12 means you're not getting fully treated for all that time? Most of us stopped using the ramp altogether very early on, or at least shortened the ramp time to a much lower #, and only a few who's settings are very high tend to use it t all.
Oh, your saying I would not need the full mask, if I have the collar?
The girl that did the sleep studies insisted the full mask was the best.
I don't know.
I do know I'm sick E'n tired of waking up sick E'n tired.

mrbreezeet1

Post by mrbreezeet1 » Tue Mar 07, 2017 4:01 pm

I know my younger brother snores, so I assume his mouth is opening.
But he has just the nose one, and says it works just fine.
He has had the machine for about 10 years, and said it made a big difference.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Tue Mar 07, 2017 4:12 pm

Do you have chronic nasal congestion day and night that you can't clear up enough so that you can comfortably breathe only through your nose? If you can't comfortably only breathe through your nose you need a full face mask because you would most likely do so much mouth breathing the bulk of the cpap pressure would blow right out your open mouth.

Now if the nasal congestion is intermittent and you mostly breathe through your nose just fine....using a nasal mask is certainly an option.

Sometimes a cervical collar can be used in conjunction with a nasal mask if the mouth opening is just from the jaw dropping down and not from nasal congestion causing you to just have to mouth breathe. A cervical collar won't stop you from opening your mouth though but it can support the chin/jaw and help people whose main problem is just jaw dropping mouth breathing.

Minor mouth breathing with a nasal mask...there are ways to reduce the problem it might cause.

So if your nose works well most of the time and you want to try a nasal mask...by all means give it a try because it might just work well for you.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Tue Mar 07, 2017 4:15 pm

A good fitting FFM is the best if you can control the leaks. Using a FFM, bypass concerns of mouthbreathing and mouthleaking, keep your treatment pressure inside your airway where it's needed. No fuss or muss!

A FFM also is needed when your nose gets plugged, and for COLDs.

As far as treatment pressure, it seem for most about 10cm of water pressure is a good starting place, but it really only your body you have to be concerned about. Using software to monitor your progress is a must APAP is the best for most, as our pressure need change during the night, we change positions as we sleep.
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

Julie

Post by Julie » Tue Mar 07, 2017 5:21 pm

But yes, you can get a collar from the pharmacy - more likely one that carries other types of devices vs just prescriptions and candy. Do a forum search here to find out more about them.
Last edited by Julie on Tue Mar 07, 2017 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mrbreezeet1

Post by mrbreezeet1 » Tue Mar 07, 2017 5:21 pm

I have some nasal congestions, not 100 percent stuffed up.
I think I'll try a neck collar with the mask.
The mask does not seem to bother me too much.
I don't think Walmart has the collar, I may try making a temporary one from cardboard and a towel, and taping it in place.
From what I'm reading, about 3" wide under my neck.

Julie

Post by Julie » Tue Mar 07, 2017 5:33 pm

If you use a humidifier, make sure your setting isn't higher than you need - if you need it at all relative to where you live, because some don't need it at all and high settings can cause congestion.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Tue Mar 07, 2017 5:41 pm

Lower humidifier settings can also cause congestion.
It all depends on what your nasal mucosa need to make them happy.
Google "cpap rhinitis" if you are experiencing nasal congestion worse with cpap use and you are using a relatively low humidity setting.