Will we ever adjust?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Tahera11979

Re: Will we ever adjust?

Post by Tahera11979 » Sat Apr 15, 2017 10:19 am

Hi all,

We are still waiting for feedback from the Philips dealer in the Middle East on if he can exchange the CPAP to the upgraded Auto version. Since it's been two weeks I am s bit nervous and I am considering to contact the HQ in the US directly.

Does anyone of you by any chance have their contact details?

yaconsult

Post by yaconsult » Sat Apr 15, 2017 11:39 am

Tahera11979 wrote:Hi all,

We are still waiting for feedback from the Philips dealer in the Middle East on if he can exchange the CPAP to the upgraded Auto version. Since it's been two weeks I am s bit nervous and I am considering to contact the HQ in the US directly.

Unfortunately, the manufacturers of cpap equipment do not provide any support to cpap users. We are not their customers - the Durable Medical Equipment suppliers are their customers. Even in the case of problems covered by the warranty, it has to go through the DME/dealer. Even here in the U.S., we can not contact anyone at Resmed or Respironics for any issues with equipment.

Respironics sold the machine to your DME so he is the one that you have to work with. If they are local, you might get better results by going to visit them in person as I had to do. It is much harder to ignore someone standing in front of you!

Tahera11979

Post by Tahera11979 » Sun Apr 16, 2017 1:34 am

yaconsult wrote:
Tahera11979 wrote:Hi all,

Unfortunately, the manufacturers of cpap equipment do not provide any support to cpap users. We are not their customers - the Durable Medical Equipment suppliers are their customers. Even in the case of problems covered by the warranty, it has to go through the DME/dealer. Even here in the U.S., we can not contact anyone at Resmed or Respironics for any issues with equipment.

Respironics sold the machine to your DME so he is the one that you have to work with. If they are local, you might get better results by going to visit them in person as I had to do. It is much harder to ignore someone standing in front of you!
Thank you very much for your feedback. I will do that. I have finally spoken to them today and they assured to give us feedback soon. I really hope to sort this out soon as its been months and I feel that the therapy isn't working for us. That being said, I am still hopeful that we will manage to sort it all out at the end.

Jimmycrackhorn

Post by Jimmycrackhorn » Sun Apr 16, 2017 7:59 am

Tahera1979 wrote:Hi all,

I am the spouse of a CPAP user and I am having a very hard time adjusting to the noise that is coming from the CPAP machine.

My husband has recently started using the machine and his snoring has improved a lot but he still snores when laying on his back. Is this normal? It's very frustrating as I keep having to turn him at night and it disturbs both of our sleep.

When he first started using the machine he had a major leak and his mask has been exchanged to a bigger model which is better but I feel that breathing in is still very noisy and especially with the filters in there is a squirking sound we can't get rid of.

I am a very light sleeper and I would be so happy to hear any advise, if any on how to improve the noise the machine and mask makes.

I would highly appreciate any suggestions.

Many thanks!

Try having to adjust to therapy for 3 years that's not working. I'd gladly trade places with you in a second.

Hannibal 2

Post by Hannibal 2 » Sun Apr 16, 2017 8:19 am

Jimmycrackhorn wrote:

Try having to adjust to therapy for 3 years that's not working. I'd gladly trade places with you in a second.
Try saying something positive to help a newbie, if therapy isn't working there's a reason for it, you just haven't managed to find that reason.

Where have you been? It's alright we know where you've been!"
(You've been in the pipeline...)

Tahera11979

Post by Tahera11979 » Sun Apr 16, 2017 11:54 pm

Hannibal 2 wrote:
Jimmycrackhorn wrote:

Try saying something positive to help a newbie, if therapy isn't working there's a reason for it, you just haven't managed to find that reason.

I completely agree with Hannibal. It is easy to out your head into the sand and do nothing (We were inclined to do so too) but I can personally see that really trying to find the optimal therapy might take a while but will certainly pay off in the long run. My dh's therapy is sill not working the way we want to but I decided not to give up and you shouldn't either. The doctors will make you feel like you are doing something wrong, when in fact quiet a few of them don't really know what they are doing. Keep going back if you have to.

Hannibal 2

Post by Hannibal 2 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 2:52 am

Hi Tahera,
The point I was trying to make is that it's not just about the machine and the therapy, we are not robots so there are many other things to consider that could compliment or damage our sleep quality.
We may have to make lifestyle changes that do not appeal to us, it could be losing some weight, getting more exercise, drinking less alcohol or caffeine, eating a healthier diet, getting to bed earlier, trying different sleeping positions, trying some of the many tips offered by people on this forum. And even then, you're not going to get consistently good sleep because we're human and are affected by the same things as those who do not have a sleep disorder.
You just need to experiment and find what works for you, but whatever you change, give it a few nights for your body to adjust before dismissing it.
Good luck!

Tahera11979

Post by Tahera11979 » Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:07 am

Hannibal 2 wrote:Hi Tahera,
The point I was trying to make is that it's not just about the machine and the therapy, we are not robots so there are many other things to consider that could compliment or damage our sleep quality.
We may have to make lifestyle changes that do not appeal to us, it could be losing some weight, getting more exercise, drinking less alcohol or caffeine, eating a healthier diet, getting to bed earlier, trying different sleeping positions, trying some of the many tips offered by people on this forum. And even then, you're not going to get consistently good sleep because we're human and are affected by the same things as those who do not have a sleep disorder.
You just need to experiment and find what works for you, but whatever you change, give it a few nights for your body to adjust before dismissing it.
Good luck!
Thanks for the reminder Hannibal. That is very true. It's an entire lifestyle change rather than just using the machine. We are still struggling to find the balance but I am hopeful.

Tahera11979

Post by Tahera11979 » Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:54 am

Hi all, I would need your urgent advise on the Auto machine which hopefully by the end of the week we will receive. Since we won't see the doctor again but only the respitory department I would like to make sure that this time the settings are correct. Out of experience, what settings would you guys recommend the auto machine to be on? And is there anything else we should be insisting on when visiting the hospital?

Thanks a lot in advance!

Hannibal 2

Post by Hannibal 2 » Tue Apr 18, 2017 5:56 am

Tahera11979 wrote:Hi all, I would need your urgent advise on the Auto machine which hopefully by the end of the week we will receive. Since we won't see the doctor again but only the respitory department I would like to make sure that this time the settings are correct. Out of experience, what settings would you guys recommend the auto machine to be on? And is there anything else we should be insisting on when visiting the hospital?

Thanks a lot in advance!
That's great news he is finally getting an APAP machine, hopefully now we can get a better idea of what is needed.
I would definitely set the maximum pressure to 20cm, that's as high as it will go, you can then see on Sleepyhead where it wants to be to treat most of the events. As for the minimum, I'm thinking no lower than 10cm as you want to reach the effective treatment pressure as quickly as possible. Again, whatever you decide to set on the machine, stick with it for a few days at least - unless he finds it intolerable.

SunnyBeBe

Post by SunnyBeBe » Tue May 16, 2017 5:23 pm

Can someone advise IF there is snoring while using cpap, will there be indicators on the nightly results, such as Events, leak in seal, etc. OR would it not show up on info and only be detected by sound?
Machine: ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet (contains humidifier)
Nuance Pro Gel Pillow and headgear

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Tue May 16, 2017 5:32 pm

SunnyBeBe wrote:Can someone advise IF there is snoring while using cpap, will there be indicators on the nightly results, such as Events, leak in seal, etc. OR would it not show up on info and only be detected by sound?
Your AirSense 10 machine will show some snore data in the form of a graph if very much snoring is going on.
Snores may or may not always be present or absent when events or flagged and leaks have nothing to do at all with snores.

So you can see something in the form of a graph with your ResMed machine.
Respironics machines don't do snore graphs...instead they flag snores up on the Events graph and makes it a bit easier to see and evaluate.

Snore graph below from a ResMed S9 machine...so yours would look similar.
Not much snoring going on. The taller the little line the louder...and as you can tell with the AHI...a little bit of snoring doesn't really mean much. This is one of mine...not very exciting in terms of snores. I don't snore anything like I used to pre cpap..
This tiny bit of snoring isn't a big deal..doesn't disturb anyone's sleep and doesn't mean much and I don't even give it but a millisecond glance.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

SunnyBeBe

Post by SunnyBeBe » Mon May 22, 2017 12:38 pm

I appreciate that info Pugsy. Please let me confirm. Are you saying that My Air Sense 10 machine has a snore graph? Must I download it through a program like SleepyHead program? I have searched and can find no graph info. Just basic info with a smiley face for seal, etc. I am registered with ResMed MyAir and they send me a daily chart breakdown of hrs, events, leaks, and a score, but, that is about it. They provide no graphs. It doesn't seem to offer anything else and I have searched their site and left a message to call me about it.

I also tried to view the info on the machine itself, but cannot find any graphs. Do I remove the machine's card to get that info?

SunnyBeBe

Post by SunnyBeBe » Mon May 22, 2017 12:57 pm

UPDATE:

My ResMed Air rep just returned my call and said that the graphs are available, but, the only way that I can read them is to take the SD card to my dealer and have them read it. I can't see that happening. Are there other options?

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Mon May 22, 2017 1:05 pm

SunnyBeBe wrote:UPDATE:

My ResMed Air rep just returned my call and said that the graphs are available, but, the only way that I can read them is to take the SD card to my dealer and have them read it. I can't see that happening. Are there other options?

Sleepyhead software: https://sleep.tnet.com/resources/sleepyhead

Examples: viewtopic/t103468/Need-help-with-screen-shots.html

SunnyBeBe wrote:Air Sense 10 machine
Which machine do you actually have? ------>
AirSense 10 AutoSet
AirSense 10 AutoSet for Her
AirSense 10 CPAP
AirSense 10 Elite
Please fill out your equipment profile, so no one has to ask again.
Last edited by ChicagoGranny on Mon May 22, 2017 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.