Will we ever adjust?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Pugsy

Re: Will we ever adjust?

Post by Pugsy » Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:52 am

Tahera11979 wrote:Would you know by any chance in what range it is normal for a 6.1 ft average weighing person? Is there such thing?
There is no such thing.
Also the pressures needed have nothing at all to do with the level of severity of the OSA (high vs low diagnostic AHI).
It all has to do with the patency of the tissues in the airway and nothing to do with how short or tall or skinny or fat or how severe the AHI is or isn't.
Some people just have airway tissues that need more pressure and some don't.
I have seen people with a diagnostic AHI of 80 plus get by with 6 cm pressure and I have seen people with AHI of 15 need 20 cm.

When we sleep on our backs the airway tissues tend to collapse more easily and be harder to keep open...hence the need for more pressure when on our backs.
Same thing can happen in REM sleep.
Now not everyone will have a marked difference in pressure needs with supine sleeping or REM sleep but it's very common if they do.
My OSA is 5 times worse in REM. Documented on my sleep studies and sometimes in REM I have some fairly significant changes in pressure needs. What works in non REM doesn't always work so great in REM.
I did do some experimenting to see if supine sleeping made a difference with my pressure needs and it didn't seem to. For some people it can be a significant difference. I built a wall that forced me to stay on my side with no chance of rolling over onto my back and I still saw the higher pressures in apap mode when what was probably REM sleep. So I said to heck with it and I sleep in whatever position I want and let the machine sort it out.

So your husband's snores increasing when he is on his back isn't unusual at all. The pressure just isn't doing a good enough job when he is on his back. Now how much more he might need...we don't know yet.
If it is a lot more he would be a good candidate for an apap capable machine. His DreamStation Pro will do limited APAP but not full time forever apap. Using apap mode might help figure out what he needs when he is on his back though.

Finally...some people will just say "sleep only on your side" and that's all well and good but much easier said than done. Once we are asleep we tend to toss and turn and end up on our backs despite our good intentions.
Plus there are people who can't stay on their side for any number of reasons..like maybe they have pain when on their side that is relieved when they are on their back. I am of the opinion that unless someone just wants to try to stay on their side and they can do it...sleep in whatever position you want and let the machine do its job.
With optimal pressure settings the airway can still be held open when on our backs...just gotta figure out what those settings are and do we want to use them.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

mrbreezeet1

Post by mrbreezeet1 » Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:01 am

Tahera1979 wrote:Hi Julie,

Thank you very much and I will do so for any future posts. I don't see an edit button.

@ Pugsy, I will send you the information as soon as I have it. My DH is sleeping so I will send it to as soon as I can.

Thank you for all the advise. It is very helpful!
Is no one said, the edit button is up top, next to the quote button.
Not on the bottom, next to reply where most are.
would you be comfortable with ear plugs?
I know someone that wears them every-night, even though she sleeps alone on a quiet street.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:06 am

mrbreezeet1 wrote: Is no one said, the edit button is up top, next to the quote button.
Not on the bottom, next to reply where most are.
When someone posts here and isn't logged in...they don't have an edit button. I think that is what happened here. Tahera couldn't log in on her work computer and thus she was posting not logged in and the edit button wasn't available.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

mrbreezeet1

Post by mrbreezeet1 » Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:27 am

Pugsy wrote:
Tahera1979 wrote:We haven't yet found distilled water so he has been using the CPAP without water.
If you can drink your tap water you can use it in the humidifier.

The worst that will happen is you get some mineral buildup in the water chamber that you have to use a bit of vinegar to remove.
Distilled doesn't have all those minerals.
Now see, That lady that brought my machine here, (Tech?) , said not to use Tap water, as "You wouldn't want to be breathing the deposits".
I tend to agree with the folks here, That The worst that will happen is you get some mineral buildup in the water chamber

Tahera11979

Post by Tahera11979 » Sat Mar 11, 2017 7:16 am

Thank you for your replies. We found distilled water but I almost feel that it's better without water as my husband complained of a dry nose but it's trial and error for now.

In terms of the snoring, it has kept me awake again and I am so frustrated. We decided to keep trying for a few days but I personally suspect that it won't improve without a pressure increase. The doctor told my husband again that there was not sufficient data available and he needs to keep using it for a while.

I really don't know anymore. My DH sleeps on his back a lot lately and turning him has become a struggle so that I just took my pillow and escaped to the coach. Not a long term solution though.

Is there anything else we can try in the meantime?

Downloading Sleepy Head is certainly top priority!

Tahera11979

Post by Tahera11979 » Sat Mar 11, 2017 7:20 am

Pugsy, you have mentioned that we need to figure out the optimal pressure. Is this by going back and forth to the doctor?

I wouldn't l know of any way. I look forward to hearing your thoughts.

Tahera11979

Post by Tahera11979 » Sat Mar 11, 2017 7:26 am

if we could adjust the pressure at home, how would we do it?

I am so sorry for all these questions but I really hope that we can sort this out soon as it's really affecting us so much.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sat Mar 11, 2017 7:35 am

Tahera11979 wrote:Pugsy, you have mentioned that we need to figure out the optimal pressure. Is this by going back and forth to the doctor?
You don't have to go back but you would have to
Tahera11979 wrote:if we could adjust the pressure at home, how would we do it?
It's relatively easy but you and he would have to be comfortable doing it and willing and some people aren't comfortable doing things on their own.

First step is to use the available software so we can see what is going on.

Tahera11979

Post by Tahera11979 » Sat Mar 11, 2017 7:55 am

Ok, regarding the results I am on it We will start using the app tonight. Do you have any idea how long we need till we should interpret the results? Thanks again for your support!

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sat Mar 11, 2017 8:33 am

Has the SD card been in the machine all night since he started? If so we can start immediately because past data will show up in the software reports once you download.
No need to wait.

Tahera11979

Post by Tahera11979 » Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:05 am

That would be wonderful! I will check this evening and will revert to you as soon as I have the details. As far as I know the chip had been inserted since the very beginning. Fingers crossed!!

Tahera11979

Post by Tahera11979 » Sat Mar 11, 2017 12:06 pm

We extracted the results but I can't seem to attach the picture. Could anyone assist me with this? Thank you very much!

Hannibal 2

Post by Hannibal 2 » Sat Mar 11, 2017 12:35 pm

Tahera11979 wrote:We extracted the results but I can't seem to attach the picture. Could anyone assist me with this? Thank you very much!
You need to use Imgur (free online software), tutorial here:
https://sleep.tnet.com/reference/tips/imgur

Edit: I think it's easier if you create an Imgur account

Last edited by Hannibal 2 on Sat Mar 11, 2017 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Welcome my son, welcome to the machine!
Where have you been? It's alright we know where you've been!"
(You've been in the pipeline...)

palerider

Post by palerider » Sat Mar 11, 2017 12:36 pm

Tahera11979 wrote:We extracted the results but I can't seem to attach the picture. Could anyone assist me with this? Thank you very much!
https://sleep.tnet.com/resources/sleepyhead/shorganize
https://sleep.tnet.com/resources/sleepy ... screenshot Don't do the full screen, just drag the window to full size.
https://sleep.tnet.com/reference/tips/imgur

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Tahera11979

Post by Tahera11979 » Sat Mar 11, 2017 9:09 pm