Will we ever adjust?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Hannibal 2

Re: Will we ever adjust?

Post by Hannibal 2 » Sun Mar 05, 2017 7:41 am

Tahera1979 wrote:You are absolutely right and I really can't wait for the day this is sorted.
He assured me that he will go and see the doctor again soon so I hope that it can get adjusted and fixed once and for all as it's not a great condition to be in for us both.

Due to the lack of sleep he will be sleeping in a different bed till we fix the issue as unfortunately we hardly had any sleep again last night. It certainly takes a toll on us and I feel like a zombie. I will try and encourage him to read all these posts and even if he doesn't it really helps me to understand the whole concept better.

Thank you all for the support!
You are welcome, we have all been there and understand. In time you may realize that nobody cares about his therapy as much as you both do, and once you understand the basics, the therapy is not that complex and quite easy to manage with the help of experienced users. I felt unsure about moving away from my doctors care and taking more control myself but now I know it's the best thing I ever did - I just feel so much more alert, energized, focused and awake! Used to snore like a drain - nothing now, so my partner (and anyone else staying at the house) has also benefited big time!

Please do put your DH's equipment profile on so that we don't have to ask what he is using, it makes it so much easier for people to guide you.

Where have you been? It's alright we know where you've been!"
(You've been in the pipeline...)

OkyDoky

Post by OkyDoky » Sun Mar 05, 2017 8:03 am

Tahara, what has your husband's AHI been running on the machine? Have you thought about SleepyHead so your husband can see what is happening at night? All it does is read the information on the card. It doesn't change anything. By seeing it, he might be a little more curious about how it works.
ResMed Aircurve 10 VAUTO EPAP 11 IPAP 15 / P10 pillows mask / Sleepyhead Software / Back up & travel machine Respironics 760

Tahera1979

Post by Tahera1979 » Sun Mar 05, 2017 9:37 am

Hi there!

I have tried signing up and creating a profile but for some reason it's not working. I will keep trying and in the meantime please see below the details:

CPAP: Dreamstation CPAP Pro w/ HUM INX400H15

Mask: Amara View Full Face Mask

Please excuse my ignorance but what is AHI and also Sleepyhead? I need to get used to the terms used.

@ Hannibal, I am so pleased to hear that it is working well for your and your spouse. That's absolutely wonderful and I am sure it makes a great difference in your quality of life. A good reason to hang in there.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Sun Mar 05, 2017 9:41 am

Tahera1979 wrote:I need to get used to the terms used.
This contains many definitions - wiki/index.php/Category:CPAP_Definitions

Sleepyhead is a free software that we recommend for optimizing and managing CPAP therapy - https://sleep.tnet.com/resources/sleepyhead

Tahera1979

Post by Tahera1979 » Sun Mar 05, 2017 9:43 am

Thank so much!! This is very helpful!

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Sun Mar 05, 2017 9:43 am

Tahera1979 wrote:I have tried signing up and creating a profile but for some reason it's not working.
What is the error message?

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sun Mar 05, 2017 10:15 am

Here's another glossary of terms in case the Wiki is missing something.
http://sleepyhead.sourceforge.net/wiki/ ... p/Glossary

If you have a screen ID...did you created a password? You have to log in to the screen ID and enter the password and be "logged in" for your screen ID to show up like mine does now on the left of this post.
At what step are you getting stopped at for the log in process?

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Hannibal 2

Post by Hannibal 2 » Sun Mar 05, 2017 10:23 am

Tahera1979 wrote:
@ Hannibal, I am so pleased to hear that it is working well for your and your spouse. That's absolutely wonderful and I am sure it makes a great difference in your quality of life. A good reason to hang in there.
Thank you Tahera! it certainly does make a big difference and yes, definitely hang in there! it will all become clearer to you and will hopefully change both of your lives for the better.

Where have you been? It's alright we know where you've been!"
(You've been in the pipeline...)

Tahera11979

Post by Tahera11979 » Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:12 am

Hi all,

I finally managed to sign up for a forum. I think it was blocked on my work computer but it works fine now.

I have locked at the glossary you sent and it has been very helpful. We will definetly download sleepy head.

I don't have the data yet but my husband went to the doctor today and apparently there was a mask leak and they also increased the pressure to 9. The doctor told him that this would be done manually. So we should try it for a few days and if he still snores he needs to go back again. Out of experience does a pressure increase of 1 make any change?

I really hope that this time it will work out. Fingers crossed!!

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:17 am

Tahera11979 wrote:Out of experience does a pressure increase of 1 make any change?
It can make a substantial difference in some cases and not much of a change in others. It depends on just how sub optimal the original pressure was.

Once you get SleepyHead up and running we will have a better idea what to expect from that change.
It might be all he needs...it might not.
When I was finding my optimal pressures the difference between 9 and 10 starting point on apap was significant.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Tahera11979

Post by Tahera11979 » Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:52 pm

Thanks Pugsy, we will definitely do that.

Unfortunetly he has been snoring again tonight and it seemed really loud too. Sighhhh

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:15 am

Next time his snoring bothers you make a note if he is on his back or not.

Tahera11979

Post by Tahera11979 » Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:54 am

Hi Pugsy, Great to hear from you!

He was on his back when he snored.

Furthermore, he has started using the humidifying option and his nose was very congested in the morning. Is there any rule that he has to use that option?

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:01 am

Not surprised to hear that he is snoring when on his back. Very common...he needs more pressure when on his back.

And no, he doesn't have to use the humidifier at all if he feels the added moisture is causing problems.
What I suggest that he try is put some water in the humidifier but turn the heat off. See how he does with just a tiny bit of added moisture from just the air passing over the water.

I suggest this because sometimes having the humidifier attached with water in it will buffer the machine sound so that you don't hear the machine motor or blowing so much.
I discovered this quite by accident the other day. Machine without water was loud and breathing noise was loud and very annoying...with water it was silent.

But you don't have to use the humidifier if you don't want to but if a heated hose is needed...it can't be used without the power from the humidifier.

Tahera11979

Post by Tahera11979 » Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:34 am

Thank you Pugsy, your advise is really appreciated.

We will try and just add little water. It's great to know that it decreases the sound which is a big plus.

In terms of pressure the doctor has changed it from 8 to 9 but we will go back to the doctor if it's still low.

Would you know by any chance in what range it is normal for a 6.1 ft average weighing person? Is there such thing?