Remove air filter, feel better

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Re: Remove air filter, feel better

Post by chunkyfrog » Wed Mar 01, 2017 8:58 pm

Imagine how dreadful if Jim were SERIOUS,

palerider

Post by palerider » Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:41 pm

chunkyfrog wrote:Imagine how dreadful if Jim were SERIOUS,
what makes you think he's not???

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

papzombie

Post by papzombie » Thu Mar 02, 2017 3:15 am

palerider wrote:
papzombie wrote:And it feels just great without filter: this morning I have enough energy to finish already 9 items in my 12 todo items today, after 100 minutes.

Normally, I would need 8 hours to finish only half of the items.
has your machine been making a lot of noise?

ever look inside a computer that's been running for a while?

Looks terrifying,
My machine makes more noise than 10 months ago, but probably due to the some accidents: 3 times falling from 80cm.

I understand the concern of all members here, but forgive me to want to try something new, for 1-2 weeks. After that I'll have data to analyze when I come back to using the black filter.

Post by Guest » Thu Mar 02, 2017 3:59 am

papzombie wrote:I understand the concern of all members here, but forgive me to want to try something new, for 1-2 weeks. After that I'll have data to analyze when I come back to using the black filter.
Exactly what do you hope to prove?
Will you have another cpap to use?

papzombie

Post by papzombie » Thu Mar 02, 2017 4:30 am

Guest wrote:
papzombie wrote:I understand the concern of all members here, but forgive me to want to try something new, for 1-2 weeks. After that I'll have data to analyze when I come back to using the black filter.
Exactly what do you hope to prove?
Will you have another cpap to use?
No, but I think 2 weeks without filter under a humid weather and air quality of around 40 does not harm my machine too much.

linuxman

Post by linuxman » Thu Mar 02, 2017 8:02 am

papzombie wrote:
palerider wrote:
papzombie wrote:And it feels just great without filter: this morning I have enough energy to finish already 9 items in my 12 todo items today, after 100 minutes.

Normally, I would need 8 hours to finish only half of the items.
has your machine been making a lot of noise?

Looks terrifying,
My machine makes more noise than 10 months ago, but probably due to the some accidents: 3 times falling from 80cm.

I understand the concern of all members here, but forgive me to want to try something new, for 1-2 weeks. After that I'll have data to analyze when I come back to using the black filter.

So if you want to get some data that is meaningful, do the following:

1. Have another adult in your home randomly put the (clean) filter in, or not, each night. Have them record what they do. Do this for at least two weeks. If the filter is visible to you, find some way to hide it so you can't tell if it's there or not (without blocking the port of course ).
2. You record how you feel each day.
3. At the end of the two weeks, compare how you felt to what your partner did with the filter the night before.

If your "feel good" days correlate to the previous nights where no filter was used, then maybe you have something here and it's not just placebo effect. My bet will be that you'll do no better than random chance at determining days that the filter was absent.

Additional Comments: Sleepyhead software

palerider

Post by palerider » Fri Mar 03, 2017 12:48 am

jamess101 wrote:
Guest wrote:fwiw - I routinely replace my filters once a month use the 1st day of the month as a reminder.
this is indeed right. I agree.
and, just how do you know this to be right and true? are you conducting surveillance? are you with the cpap police?

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Uncle_Bob

Post by Uncle_Bob » Fri Mar 03, 2017 1:18 am

crestifer wrote:I appreciate the advice of folks in the big leagues.

I often wondered if I was eventually cured of sleep apnea if I should tape a filter to my mouth ...

Uncle_Bob

Post by Uncle_Bob » Fri Mar 03, 2017 1:29 am

palerider wrote:
unless the air in your room is highly filtered, all you're doing is harming your machine by running it without a filter.

that's what you're turning your cpap into.
The filter is for the air intake provided for therapy, it is not intended for the internal working parts of the machine. The posted picture is ridiculous, you may have been joking, its hard to tell.

palerider

Post by palerider » Fri Mar 03, 2017 1:38 am

. wrote:
palerider wrote:
unless the air in your room is highly filtered, all you're doing is harming your machine by running it without a filter.

The filter is for the air intake provided for therapy, it is not intended for the internal working parts of the machine. The posted picture is ridiculous, you may have been joking, its hard to tell.
you clearly know nothing of the interior workings of a cpap machine, have you ever taken one apart? I have taken apart several.

it might surprise you to learn that there is a *FAN* inside that little box, and if that fan, like any fan, is exposed to a flow of unfiltered room air for too long, then DUST will start to collect on the fan blades, just like it has on the fan blades and other structures inside that computer, pictured.

everyone else who's posted realizes that the coarse filter on the cpap intake is there primarily to keep dust out of the inner workings of the machine.... what's your mental defect preventing you from understanding this simple principle?

Uncle_Bob

Post by Uncle_Bob » Fri Mar 03, 2017 2:10 am

palerider wrote: you clearly know nothing of the interior workings of a cpap machine, have you ever taken one apart? I have taken apart several.

it might surprise you to learn that there is a *FAN* inside that little box, and if that fan, like any fan, is exposed to a flow of unfiltered room air for too long, then DUST will start to collect on the fan blades, just like it has on the fan blades and other structures inside that computer, pictured.

everyone else who's posted realizes that the coarse filter on the cpap intake is there primarily to keep dust out of the inner workings of the machine.... what's your mental defect preventing you from understanding this simple principle?

I've never taken a machine apart. I would however recommend a filter for your computer. Hypoallergenic if its in your bedroom.

papzombie

Post by papzombie » Fri Mar 03, 2017 3:46 am

Last 3 nights, the first time since 11 month CPAP that I was well aware that I wake up a lot at night: although I have been waking up 2-3 times per hour without the clear reason (which was observed by a Watch-PAT 200), I was never aware of those awakenings.

I am following a CBT-I, with a Sleep/Awakening calender. Last 3 nights I was able to remember about 4-6 awakenings at night.

You ask what change could that be that caused this remembering ? Answer is

- Air filter is removed (it's still placebo according to some comments here, time will tell)

- CBT-I is started since 5 nights (started to note down the sleep / awakening times). Someone might want to comment that since my brain is aware that I need to note down the awakenings at night, it seems to be activated around some awakenings to be able to remember them).

Last night, it was so funny: before sleeping I made a plan to wake up at 7 to start a new habit in my family: that the parents and kids would have breakfast together. I have planned every thing before going to sleep. Somehow this sticks to some subconscious part of my brain, to the point that several times at night I wake up and wonder if it's already 7 AM, no it was only 3 AM (I looked at the clock), then there were 3 other awakenings with full remembering until it did hit 7 AM

Probably Pugsy wants to comment on this.

linuxman

Post by linuxman » Fri Mar 03, 2017 7:05 am

Uncle_Bob wrote:
palerider wrote:

On the picture, I have seen computers that looked almost identical to that after running for a year or two without cleaning. Even in lab/raised floor environments with air filtering you see dust accumulation (not to the this level of course). Machines in homes can get this dirty quite easily.

Additional Comments: Sleepyhead software

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Fri Mar 03, 2017 7:31 am

LSAT and PR...how come you all missed the spam....
link in the signature on this yahoo.
jamess101 wrote:this is indeed right. I agree.
Do you want me to clean it up or leave it?

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Fri Mar 03, 2017 7:33 am

papzombie wrote:Probably Pugsy wants to comment on this.
Probably not. Sorry.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.