Just Curious: Do any long term CPAP users like the ramp?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Lucyhere

Re: Just Curious: Do any long term CPAP users like the ramp?

Post by Lucyhere » Fri Feb 24, 2017 12:24 am

kteague wrote:Agree with Den that while this may be a "tired" topic it is new to newbies.

+1
Resmed AirSense 10 Autoset for her w/humid air/heated Humidifier
Bleep/P10

D.H.

Post by D.H. » Fri Feb 24, 2017 8:44 am

chunkyfrog wrote:D.H., are you saying you still do not know how to set your own machine?
And you seemed so . . .
Ah, forget it!
I know exactly how to disable the ramp on every machine I ever had. It's just that every time I go a new CPAP (I'm on #4 now), I was always told how important a feature it was.

The point is that despite being told this, I have no interest in a ramp. In fact, I found it most annoying when the machine was delivered with it enabled (I disabled it right away).

D.H.

Post by D.H. » Fri Feb 24, 2017 8:47 am

LSAT wrote:
D.H. wrote:I decided early that I couldn't stand it and demanded that my DME supplier disable it. I always made sure that the replacement units did not have this feature enabled.

Do any long term users like the ramp (newbies should not answer)?
Do you sit up nights trying to think up questions that have no relevance? How would it help anyone to know whether someone likes or dislikes ramp.
If they need it they use it...if they don't they don't. Anyone with intelligence can turn on or off the ramp in seconds.
It's easy enough on the current machines. It was trickier on the machine I had in 1999.

bmanley

Post by bmanley » Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:01 am

Been using cpap for over 5 years and I use the ramp on my machine. Not because I don't know how to change it but I don't like the air on at full pressure from the start. As for time it is set to 5 minutes

Sheriff Buford

Post by Sheriff Buford » Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:25 am

If you are adamant on using ramp or not, who cares if other folks are using it or not, or... what other folks think?
Aside from the comfort it provides, the big argument is that if do go to sleep during the ramp mode... and you have an apnea event... in CPAP mode, the apnea event won't be treated. In the autoset mode, I'm believing the machine won't treat the apnea event either, because the autoset mode won't overide the ramp mode (if I remember right from the last discussion). You can look at your Sleepyhead readouts and see if you are prone to having apnea events early on. I suspect most folks don't, so there should be no issue. Besides the comfort factor, that's the only issue.
Sheriff

palerider

Post by palerider » Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:46 am

Sheriff Buford wrote: In the autoset mode, I'm believing the machine won't treat the apnea event either, because the autoset mode won't overide the ramp mode (if I remember right from the last discussion).
it depends on the brand.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Fri Feb 24, 2017 12:16 pm

palerider wrote:it depends on the brand.
and depends on the mode used as well.
Sheriff Buford wrote:I'm believing the machine won't treat the apnea event either, because the autoset mode won't overide the ramp mode (if I remember right from the last discussion)
It's true for your ResMed machine UNLESS you are using one of the new A 10 machines in auto smart ramp mode AND the machine thinks you are asleep where it suspends ramp because it thinks you are asleep and we assume that you don't have any apnea events unless you are asleep. Lot of ifs there...if you are using smart ramp (or whatever it is called) in auto mode and IF it can really determine if you are asleep or not.

Not true for a Respironics machine....in auto mode Respironics machines will suspend ramp if it thinks an apnea event is trying to happen or has happened and it warrants trying to kill...it will suspend ramp and go try to kill it like it would under normal auto adjusting pressures with the same algorithm...increase the pressures or whatever.
Once things are cleared up if there is ramp time remaining the machine goes back to wherever it is in the ramp timing cycle.
Must be in auto/apap mode though.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

D.H.

Post by D.H. » Fri Feb 24, 2017 12:41 pm

Thanks for all the responses (except for the rude and condescending ones).

The consensus is that most long-term users don't like the ramp and have it disabled. However, there also seems to be a minority who does still like the ramp feature.

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:05 pm

D.H. wrote:Thanks for all the responses (except for the rude and condescending ones).

The consensus is that most long-term users don't like the ramp and have it disabled. However, there also seems to be a minority who does still like the ramp feature.
What does that prove ...that some like it and some do not. You can say that about every mask too...some like it and some do not. What does it prove????

D.H.

Post by D.H. » Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:26 pm

LSAT wrote:
D.H. wrote:Thanks for all the responses (except for the rude and condescending ones).

What does that prove ...that some like it and some do not. You can say that about every mask too...some like it and some do not. What does it prove????

It proves that most long-term patients don't like it or use it as I thought. It also proves that there is a minority that do. That I really didn't expect.

Krelvin

Post by Krelvin » Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:33 pm

D.H. wrote:The consensus is that most long-term users don't like the ramp and have it disabled. However, there also seems to be a minority who does still like the ramp feature.
DH you might be on to something.

Possible range of topics:

How to define long-term users. 1 year, 5 year, 10 year or more
Use a CPAP humidifier, don't use a humidifier
Use a CPAP humidifier with heat or use it in passover mode.
Best room temperature to keep.
What setting on the CPAP humidifier
Heated hose or no heated hose
Regular hose length, or longer hose length
Distilled water from the store, big box store, your own distiller, imported from mexico
Best time to sleep, before 9pm, before midnight, sometime around 1am. Only when you are tired.
When is the best time to eat food. How do you eat it, with fingers, tools, alone, with company
Let the DME program your CPAP, program it on your own.
Use a sleep doctor, don't use a sleep doctor. Use a primary doctor or vet

This could be endless.. Perhaps you should start a blog
Current Settings PS 4.0 over 10.6-18.0 (cmH2O) - Resmed S9 VPAP Auto w/h5i Humidifier - Quattro Air FFM
TNET Sleep Resource Pages - CPAP Machine Database
Put your equip in your Signature - SleepyHead v1.0.0-beta-1
Kevin... alias Krelvin

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:33 pm

D.H. wrote:It also proves that there is a minority that do. That I really didn't expect.
Why does that surprise you?
Haven't you learned by now that everything, and I mean everything, about cpap therapy comes with a really big YMMV sticker.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

nanwilson

Post by nanwilson » Fri Feb 24, 2017 4:09 pm

Krelvin wrote:
D.H. wrote:The consensus is that most long-term users don't like the ramp and have it disabled. However, there also seems to be a minority who does still like the ramp feature.
DH you might be on to something.

Possible range of topics:

How to define long-term users. 1 year, 5 year, 10 year or more
Use a CPAP humidifier, don't use a humidifier
Use a CPAP humidifier with heat or use it in passover mode.
Best room temperature to keep.
What setting on the CPAP humidifier
Heated hose or no heated hose
Regular hose length, or longer hose length
Distilled water from the store, big box store, your own distiller, imported from mexico
Best time to sleep, before 9pm, before midnight, sometime around 1am. Only when you are tired
When is the best time to eat food. How do you eat it, with fingers, tools, alone, with company
Let the DME program your CPAPke , program it on your own.
Use a sleep doctor, don't use a sleep doctor. Use a primary doctor or vet

This could be endless.. Perhaps you should start a blog
Krevlin, now you've gone and done it, I don't think he needed any more suggested topics to start
Started cpap in 2010.. still at it with great results.

Okie bipap

Post by Okie bipap » Fri Feb 24, 2017 4:14 pm

PLEASE don't give any more ideas for unnecessary questions.

Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional.

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Fri Feb 24, 2017 4:15 pm

D.H. wrote:
LSAT wrote:
D.H. wrote:I decided early that I couldn't stand it and demanded that my DME supplier disable it. I always made sure that the replacement units did not have this feature enabled.

Do any long term users like the ramp (newbies should not answer)?
Do you sit up nights trying to think up questions that have no relevance? How would it help anyone to know whether someone likes or dislikes ramp.
If they need it they use it...if they don't they don't. Anyone with intelligence can turn on or off the ramp in seconds.
It's easy enough on the current machines. It was trickier on the machine I had in 1999.
Did you ever find someone to do it for you? Are you planning to sell it to someone, but forgot who you got to set it? Or are you just saving the old machine until you figure out how to set it yourself. Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire