New Machine Next Month

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
pratzert

New Machine Next Month

Post by pratzert » Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:54 pm

H All.

My 5 years since my last machine is up next month and I will be ordering a new APAP.

I have the S9 Autoset now and have been happy with it.

Look like the most highly recommended machine now-a-days is the Airsense 10 Autoset.

How does one clean the "built-in" humidifier chamber? Is it removable?

My S9 Autoset has the "dishwasher safe" humidifier chambers and are a snap to clean.

Would I be better off to try to get another S9 Autoset, or get the current Airsense 10 Autoset?

Thanks for your input/opinions.

OkyDoky

Re: New Machine Next Month

Post by OkyDoky » Thu Feb 23, 2017 1:05 pm

pratzert wrote: Look like the most highly recommended machine now-a-days is the Airsense 10 Autoset.

How does one clean the "built-in" humidifier chamber? Is it removable?
Yes it pulls out.
pratzert wrote:My S9 Autoset has the "dishwasher safe" humidifier chambers and are a snap to clean.
The Airsense 10 has both regular and dishwasher safe humidifier chambers.
pratzert wrote:Would I be better off to try to get another S9 Autoset, or get the current Airsense 10 Autoset?
You might find a bargain on the S9 if you are looking to save money. On the other hand Airsense 10 Autoset for Her (even for men) has a 3rd mode and might be nice to have available when the price is the same as the Autoset.
ResMed Aircurve 10 VAUTO EPAP 11 IPAP 15 / P10 pillows mask / Sleepyhead Software / Back up & travel machine Respironics 760

bmanley

Post by bmanley » Thu Feb 23, 2017 1:18 pm

What is the extra mode in the "For Her" model on the airsense 10? Getting a new machine and looking at the normal model but wonder what the extra mode is so I'd know if it could help me. If you read my other posts I'm going from the S9 escape so I don't have data to figure out what my problem is.

pratzert

Post by pratzert » Thu Feb 23, 2017 1:27 pm

Hi okeydokey.

Thanks for that info.

It will be paid for by insurance. Since they are the same price, perhaps I will get the Airsense 10 autoset "for her".

Thank goodness it's not Pink !

I kinda recall some posts a while back where someone said that there were drawbacks to the 10 Autoset vs the S9, but I cant' recall what the objections were.

It may have had something to do with the auto reporting feature. I believe that feature can be turned off anyway.

Last edited by pratzert on Thu Feb 23, 2017 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Thu Feb 23, 2017 1:32 pm

It's a different auto adjusting mode using a different auto adjusting algorithm.
Explained in the manual
https://sleep.tnet.com/home/files/resme ... -guide.pdf

Have no idea if it would benefit you or not. I have my doubts since you need pressures in the teens and this "for Her" algorithm is being touted as kinder and gentler and sounds a lot like the old ResMed A 10 algorithm (not to be confused with the A 10 machines) which means it doesn't respond the same when pressures are above 10.
It's always nice to have another option if at all possible.
bmanley wrote:What is the extra mode in the "For Her" model on the airsense 10?

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

OkyDoky

Post by OkyDoky » Thu Feb 23, 2017 1:38 pm

The For Her mode was designed to respond to flow limitations by increasing sensitivity to flow limitation and optimizing the response to these events. By responding to each flow-limited breath. Not needed by everyone but why not have in case you do?
The Autoset can be placed in airplane mode if you do not want reporting. It will question you each time you turn it on, to see if you want to leave it in airplane mode.
ResMed Aircurve 10 VAUTO EPAP 11 IPAP 15 / P10 pillows mask / Sleepyhead Software / Back up & travel machine Respironics 760

pratzert

Post by pratzert » Thu Feb 23, 2017 1:45 pm

Pugsy wrote:It's a different auto adjusting mode using a different auto adjusting algorithm.
Explained in the manual
https://sleep.tnet.com/home/files/resme ... -guide.pdf

Have no idea if it would benefit you or not. I have my doubts since you need pressures in the teens and this "for Her" algorithm is being touted as kinder and gentler and sounds a lot like the old ResMed A 10 algorithm (not to be confused with the A 10 machines) which means it doesn't respond the same when pressures are above 10.
It's always nice to have another option if at all possible.
bmanley wrote:What is the extra mode in the "For Her" model on the airsense 10?
Thanks Pugsy !

pratzert

Post by pratzert » Thu Feb 23, 2017 1:46 pm

OkyDoky wrote:The For Her mode was designed to respond to flow limitations by increasing sensitivity to flow limitation and optimizing the response to these events. By responding to each flow-limited breath. Not needed by everyone but why not have in case you do?
The Autoset can be placed in airplane mode if you do not want reporting. It will question you each time you turn it on, to see if you want to leave it in airplane mode.
Thank you OkyDoky.

Good info to know....

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Thu Feb 23, 2017 2:35 pm

pratzert wrote:My 5 years since my last machine is up next month
pratzert wrote:It will be paid for by insurance.
Has your insurance company told you that? Or, are you just assuming?

pratzert

Post by pratzert » Thu Feb 23, 2017 3:28 pm

Chicago Granny,

No guesswork or assumptions.

This will be my 3rd machine paid for by insurance. No Co-Pay.

They follow Medicare guidelines for the time period between machines, which is 5 years.

SewTired

Post by SewTired » Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:50 pm

Unless you are going for the For Her algorithm, there really isn't any significant technological difference between the S9 Autoset and the Airsense Autoset. Most of the major advances and comfort features were in the S9.

Internal Modem - This feature annoys a lot of people because even when you turn it off, it reminds you, every time, to turn it back on. You can't permanently disable it until the warranty expires since disabling it voids the warranty.

Humidifier bin - Check with your DME. Mine doesn't stock the dishwasher safe humidifier bin for the Airsense. If I want it, I have to buy it out of pocket from an online supplier.

Screen - The S9 screen is a lot easier to read. I realize that I have vision damage, but I have to bring the Airsense unit almost to my face to read it while the S9 I can just look down on. Some features on the Airsense have to be reached via the clinical settings in the S9, but they are all there.

Separate - If something is wrong with the heater plate of your humidifier, you just send that in. You still have your cpap. If something is wrong with the heater plate of your Airsense, you have to send the whole unit in. Better have a backup. If you want to operate without humidity, you can just separate out the humidifier on the S9. On the Airsense, you can shut it off, but you need the humidifier bin to remain UNLESS you buy a separate cover for it. It's about $22.

Now, after saying all of this, I vaguely recall someone mentioned that some of the regular Airsense models now ALSO have the For Her algorithm, but I'm not sure about that. It's probably not a feature you need but if you are getting an Airsense, get one with all the algorithms, so that you can try options.

Finally, good for you that you get 100% pay on your cpap! My bro gets 100% pay on his bipap. I would whine, but he also pays a lot more for his insurance.

Airsense For Her; Settings: range 8-12, Airfit P10 (M)

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Fri Feb 24, 2017 8:12 am

pratzert wrote:Chicago Granny,

They follow Medicare guidelines for the time period between machines, which is 5 years.
Be careful. Medicare guidelines have changed:
The replacement of an item past the five-year lifetime will
be considered in cases of irreparable wear if the item has
been in continuous use by the patient, on either a rental
or purchase basis, for the equipment’s useful lifetime.
• Irreparable wear:
– I rreparable wear refers to deterioration sustained
from day-to-day usage over time and a specific
event cannot be identified.
– In cases involving irreparable wear, the Reasonable
Useful Lifetime (RUL) of the equipment is taken into
consideration, and in no case can it be less than
five years old.
– Computation of the useful lifetime is based on when
the equipment is delivered to the patient, not the
age of the equipment.
– A physician’s written order is needed to reaffirm
the medical necessity of the item.
• If a PAP machine is replaced following the five-year RUL,
there must be a face-to-face evaluation by the treating
physician documenting that the patient continues to
use and benefit from the PAP machine. There is no
requirement for a new sleep test or trial period. Note:
If a DME item reaches its five-year life expectancy, is
in good working order and meets the patient’s medical
needs, it should not automatically be replaced.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q ... LA&cad=rja
My doctor says she would have to certify my machine was not in good working order to get Medicare to pay for a replacement machine. Of course, if I bring her data showing my AHI was under 1.0 for the last six months, she cannot make such a claim.

pratzert

Post by pratzert » Fri Feb 24, 2017 8:22 am

SewTired wrote:Unless you are going for the For Her algorithm, there really isn't any significant technological difference between the S9 Autoset and the Airsense Autoset. Most of the major advances and comfort features were in the S9.

Internal Modem - This feature annoys a lot of people because even when you turn it off, it reminds you, every time, to turn it back on. You can't permanently disable it until the warranty expires since disabling it voids the warranty.

Humidifier bin - Check with your DME. Mine doesn't stock the dishwasher safe humidifier bin for the Airsense. If I want it, I have to buy it out of pocket from an online supplier.

Screen - The S9 screen is a lot easier to read. I realize that I have vision damage, but I have to bring the Airsense unit almost to my face to read it while the S9 I can just look down on. Some features on the Airsense have to be reached via the clinical settings in the S9, but they are all there.

Separate - If something is wrong with the heater plate of your humidifier, you just send that in. You still have your cpap. If something is wrong with the heater plate of your Airsense, you have to send the whole unit in. Better have a backup. If you want to operate without humidity, you can just separate out the humidifier on the S9. On the Airsense, you can shut it off, but you need the humidifier bin to remain UNLESS you buy a separate cover for it. It's about $22.

Now, after saying all of this, I vaguely recall someone mentioned that some of the regular Airsense models now ALSO have the For Her algorithm, but I'm not sure about that. It's probably not a feature you need but if you are getting an Airsense, get one with all the algorithms, so that you can try options.

Finally, good for you that you get 100% pay on your cpap! My bro gets 100% pay on his bipap. I would whine, but he also pays a lot more for his insurance.
SewTired,

Thanks a lot for the information. You may have talked me into trying to get another S9 instead of the Airsense.

Regards.

pratzert

Post by pratzert » Fri Feb 24, 2017 8:29 am

ChicagoGranny wrote:
pratzert wrote:Chicago Granny,

Be careful. Medicare guidelines have changed:
The replacement of an item past the five-year lifetime will
be considered in cases of irreparable wear if the item has
been in continuous use by the patient, on either a rental
or purchase basis, for the equipment’s useful lifetime.
• Irreparable wear:
– I rreparable wear refers to deterioration sustained
from day-to-day usage over time and a specific
event cannot be identified.
– In cases involving irreparable wear, the Reasonable
Useful Lifetime (RUL) of the equipment is taken into
consideration, and in no case can it be less than
five years old.
– Computation of the useful lifetime is based on when
the equipment is delivered to the patient, not the
age of the equipment.
– A physician’s written order is needed to reaffirm
the medical necessity of the item.
• If a PAP machine is replaced following the five-year RUL,
there must be a face-to-face evaluation by the treating
physician documenting that the patient continues to
use and benefit from the PAP machine. There is no
requirement for a new sleep test or trial period. Note:
If a DME item reaches its five-year life expectancy, is
in good working order and meets the patient’s medical
needs, it should not automatically be replaced.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q ... LA&cad=rja
My doctor says she would have to certify my machine was not in good working order to get Medicare to pay for a replacement machine. Of course, if I bring her data showing my AHI was under 1.0 for the last six months, she cannot make such a claim.
ChicagoGranny,

Thank you for that update on Medicare guidelines. I wasn't aware of those changes. But I did talk to my insurance company several weeks ago and confirmed I could get a new machine next month when I pass my 5 years since the last machine. They didn't mention anything about testing my old machine.

I have a really great Sleep Doc and I don't' think he would have any problem stating my machine was not functioning up to standards either, if that is what it comes down to.

This would be a good question to pose on the forum asking members to report if they had any difficulties getting a new machine after 5 years, or had to have their machines tested after 5 years to see if they had fulfilled their useful life.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:35 am

pratzert wrote:I have a really great Sleep Doc and I don't' think he would have any problem stating
A "really good" sleep doctor does not commit fraud.