Question for those who don't wash their equipment

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
palerider

Re: Question for those who don't wash their equipment

Post by palerider » Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:02 pm

Jack Burton wrote:I got pink mold once and that was using distilled water and washing everything in hot soapy water once a week.
I now add a cup of vinegar to the soapy water and have not had a recurrence of pink mold.
it's not mold, it's a bacteria.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Madalot

Post by Madalot » Thu Feb 23, 2017 7:03 am

We wash our hoses, filters, hubby's humidifier tank and masks once a month, giving them a good bath in baby shampoo (my preference). I wipe the masks down daily with a baby wipe.

We have found that not all distilled waters are equal. I don't remember why, but we began watching for distilled that is STEAM distilled because when we used other (Food Lion brand for example), we got that pink slime in the humidifier tanks. Since being careful about making sure it is steam distilled (and washing monthly) we haven't had any recurrence of the pink junk.

bmanley

Post by bmanley » Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:19 am

I know with bottled water it's anybody guess if it really any better the tap so I can also see that distilled water might not be any different. Not sure if there are any regulation on what has to be in the bottle to have the distilled label on it. We had got some distilled water from the dollar store because I was out and the only thing near us. Noticed some slim in the water tube right away.

Madalot

Post by Madalot » Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:39 am

bmanley wrote:I know with bottled water it's anybody guess if it really any better the tap so I can also see that distilled water might not be any different. Not sure if there are any regulation on what has to be in the bottle to have the distilled label on it. We had got some distilled water from the dollar store because I was out and the only thing near us. Noticed some slim in the water tube right away.
Check the label on the bottle and look for "Steam" distilled on it. We found Food Lion is NOT, but Walmart, Target and Family Dollar brands all list "steam" on the label. And we found a difference and no longer buy Food Lion brand.

palerider

Post by palerider » Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:16 pm

Madalot wrote: distilled that is STEAM distilled because
what other kind is there?
Distilled water is water that has had many of its impurities removed through distillation. Distillation involves boiling the water and then condensing the steam into a clean container.
now, there's a difference in distilled and purified... perhaps that's what you were getting?

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Madalot

Post by Madalot » Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:34 pm

palerider wrote:
Distilled water is water that has had many of its impurities removed through distillation. Distillation involves boiling the water and then condensing the steam into a clean container.
now, there's a difference in distilled and purified... perhaps that's what you were getting?
Apparently, there are different methods for distilling water. I read somewhere (and I do not remember where - maybe even here) that STEAM distilled is better. And I can attest to that because when I used Food Lion brand (not listed on the label as steam distilled) I ended up with pink sludge. If I make sure the label says "Steam Distilled" or something along those lines, I don't get the pink sludge.

Like I said - Food Lion brand does NOT say steam, whereas Walmart, Target and Family Dollar brands all list it as using steam.

As far as other method - I haven't researched it since I read it months ago.

palerider

Post by palerider » Thu Feb 23, 2017 1:39 pm

Madalot wrote:
palerider wrote:
Apparently, there are different methods for distilling water. I read somewhere (and I do not remember where - maybe even here) that STEAM distilled is better. And I can attest to that because when I used Food Lion brand (not listed on the label as steam distilled) I ended up with pink sludge. If I make sure the label says "Steam Distilled" or something along those lines, I don't get the pink sludge.

Like I said - Food Lion brand does NOT say steam, whereas Walmart, Target and Family Dollar brands all list it as using steam.

As far as other method - I haven't researched it since I read it months ago.
well, if anybody can come up with any other way of distilling water besides condensing steam, I'd be interested. because , by definition, distilling water requires steam in the process. like I said, maybe the water you had problems with wasn't distilled at all.

Madalot

Post by Madalot » Thu Feb 23, 2017 2:01 pm

It appears that you are correct. But I have purchased water labeled "distilled" that does not specifically say "steam distilled." The conclusion I come to is there are people selling purified water under the false label of distilled.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Wulfman...

Post by Wulfman... » Thu Feb 23, 2017 2:12 pm

Apparently, there are multiple ways/methods to make it. (first link)
I didn't take time to read it in depth, but I think the objective is still the same......converting (heated) water vapor back into liquid by cooling it.

http://www.wikihow.com/Make-Distilled-Water

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Distilled_water

https://www.google.com/search?q=distill ... 8&oe=utf-8

Den

(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

tedtomato

Post by tedtomato » Thu Feb 23, 2017 7:29 pm

My understanding is that we only breathe vapour from the humidifier chamber, and that bacteria or dirt can't get through via vapour, so therefore how clean the chamber is doesn't actually matter to what you breathe...

HoseCrusher

Post by HoseCrusher » Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:00 pm

In theory, that is correct...

However when I measured my machine I came up with something different. My machine seems to form some aerosols that disperse a little more than just water vapor.

I clean my equipment once a week and never have observed slime or mold. I use distilled water + salt in my humidifier and have had no problems there as well.

Uncle_Bob

Post by Uncle_Bob » Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:25 pm

You're are going to get all the oldies up in the air regarding cleaning.

mcl3086

Post by mcl3086 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:56 pm

I've not been the best at cleaning my machine regularly. I've used an S9 BiPap for 4 years now, and have routinely gone 2-3 months between thorough cleanings. I always clean my water chamber when I do clean, though, and was quite surprised that the paperwork accompanying a new water chamber stated, paraphrasing, "The water chamber is constructed such that it never needs to be cleaned". WHAT?!? i usually end up doing a good cleaning when something happens that "encourages" me to clean it; like when I get a cold, etc. My personal habits have always been that after a cold I always change toothbrushes, etc, and make sure I clean my cpap machine. The last time we noticed (wife and I) that there was a "slick, gel-like coating" inside the water chamber. Eww! Makes me want to clean it once a week since.
But, other than that, I've never noticed any mold, mildew, fungus, etc, on anything.

OkyDoky

Post by OkyDoky » Mon Feb 27, 2017 1:08 pm

mcl3086 wrote: was quite surprised that the paperwork accompanying a new water chamber stated, paraphrasing, "The water chamber is constructed such that it never needs to be cleaned". WHAT?!?
Paperwork from who? Certainly not ResMed.
ResMed Aircurve 10 VAUTO EPAP 11 IPAP 15 / P10 pillows mask / Sleepyhead Software / Back up & travel machine Respironics 760