Which mask with facial hair

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
bonjour

Re: Which mask with facial hair

Post by bonjour » Mon Feb 20, 2017 4:11 pm

Guest wrote:
bonjour wrote:The Avatar is me with an Amara View (Medium) with a seal and high pressure. Guess what? I have a significant beard!!!
Knowing the pressure, expected leak, and actual leak rates would be helpful.
At the time it was 25/21 straight BiPAP, with a leakrate under ResMed's Flag rate which is around 25.

That said solutions are very individual, I had tried 5 or 6 FFM that leaked badly first.

The Latinist

Post by The Latinist » Mon Feb 20, 2017 6:22 pm

Do you have reason to believe that you're mouthbreathing? My own experience with a FFM and beard was not positive, to say the least, so I would really recommend against that struggle unless you really need it.

bmanley

Post by bmanley » Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:18 pm

The Latinist wrote:Do you have reason to believe that you're mouthbreathing? My own experience with a FFM and beard was not positive, to say the least, so I would really recommend against that struggle unless you really need it.
I don't think that I'm breathing thru my mouth but my doc wanted me to try a full mask to see. But without full data from my machine it's hard to tell what is going on. My mouth is not dry in the morning and my lips are a little crusty like they not been open at all. I still stop breathing and snore, wife wakes me up enough to get me to breath again or move

bmanley

Post by bmanley » Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:24 pm

Until I get a new machine with data how can I tell if I breath thru my mouth? Not sure unless I try another DME when I'm going to get a new machine

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:38 pm

bmanley wrote:Until I get a new machine with data how can I tell if I breath thru my mouth?
You can't.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

palerider

Post by palerider » Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:42 pm

bmanley wrote: she still said I should try a new mask.
because PROFIT.

keep using your old mask, get some data, make an informed, or at least, more informed, decision.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

palerider

Post by palerider » Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:44 pm

bonjour wrote:The Avatar is me with an Amara View (Medium) with a seal and high pressure. Guess what? I have a significant beard!!!
I'd never have guessed... *squints*

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

palerider

Post by palerider » Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:45 pm

bmanley wrote:The one thing I have said is since I started CPAP I have never felt rested and not sure why. One thing could be poor fit on the swift RX.
you're just guessing, it's more likely that your pressures are just *wrong*.

palerider

Post by palerider » Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:47 pm

Pugsy wrote:
bmanley wrote:Until I get a new machine with data how can I tell if I breath thru my mouth?
You can't.
could set up a good high def camera pointed at the face, and a microphone, and record the night...

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:01 pm

palerider wrote: could set up a good high def camera pointed at the face, and a microphone, and record the night...
Yeah...I guess that might work but even that has some potential pitfalls.

I am still wondering how a full face mask can fix cessation of breathing as witnessed by a spouse...so I assume mouth breathing would also be witnessed.

He needs to get the full data machine and then once the data is available then decide if a different mask needs to be used.
For all we know the leak line is flat at 0.0 for the bulk of the night and it's not leak that is the problem.
I hate guessing games.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Rob K

Post by Rob K » Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:36 pm

I've had a beard since I started therapy. I've since shortened the length to 1/8 to 1/4" at the most before I get too many leaks with a nasal cushion.

It's been my experience that nasal pillows are easiest to get a seal, followed by nasal cushion and lastly full face mask. This is true even if you don't have a beard. In other words the smaller the seal is the easier it is to avoid leaks and the bigger the seal is the more leaks you will have. Of course there are exceptions and work arounds, but that's not the norm.

Personally a nasal cushion and chin strap has worked the best for me. I toss and turn a lot and was always getting leaks with the nasal pillows. Basically they didn't have enough straps in my case to keep the cushions where they needed to be throughout the night. I gave up early on full face masks, too much surface area to deal with. I keep one around though for when I have a cold and can't breath through my nose. Colds with apnea suck majorly.

If you need to have a full face mask, other members will help you get it figured out. Otherwise I would lean toward some type of nasal mask and look to get some data posted on the forum so the members can see if your getting the proper treatment. I personally had two different sleep studies at different places with different doctors and still did not get the proper treatment.

Have been on therapy for nearly 3 years and relatively new to the game. Hopefully my advise is good.

Last edited by Rob K on Fri Feb 24, 2017 12:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post by Guest » Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:56 pm

Guest wrote:
D H. wrote:If at all possible, it's best to use a nasal mask, as it is so much easier to fit.
Also much easier to seal esp. with facial hair. Nasal pillows are even easier to seal.
Is shaving the facial hair out of the question? At least until you figure out what is going on. I mean it will grow back if that is more important than your health and feeling well. With a clear head you may decide that hair is not all that important. Try the new look, prob will look younger too.

bmanley

Post by bmanley » Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:39 pm

Guest wrote:
Guest wrote:
D H. wrote:If at all possible, it's best to use a nasal mask, as it is so much easier to fit.
Also much easier to seal esp. with facial hair. Nasal pillows are even easier to seal.
Is shaving the facial hair out of the question? At least until you figure out what is going on. I mean it will grow back if that is more important than your health and feeling well. With a clear head you may decide that hair is not all that important. Try the new look, prob will look younger too.
Well I've had this since I started cpap over 5 years ago so I don't see how it has changed anything but who knows.

palerider

Post by palerider » Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:44 pm

Pugsy wrote:
palerider wrote: could set up a good high def camera pointed at the face, and a microphone, and record the night...
Yeah...I guess that might work but even that has some potential pitfalls.

I am still wondering how a full face mask can fix cessation of breathing as witnessed by a spouse...so I assume mouth breathing would also be witnessed.

He needs to get the full data machine and then once the data is available then decide if a different mask needs to be used.
For all we know the leak line is flat at 0.0 for the bulk of the night and it's not leak that is the problem.
I hate guessing games.
you're absolutely right.

Hexfly

Post by Hexfly » Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:39 am

I have a full beard that I keep trimmed. I have had great success with both the Resmed Quattro and F20. Both give me a good seal.