Does anyone have a good DME experience?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
bmanley

Re: Does anyone have a good DME experience?

Post by bmanley » Sat Feb 25, 2017 11:09 am

Thinking about finding a good DME makes me wonder if there is a place that only does CPAP. Any DME around here does just about anything you need in medical equipment and a big part is selling O2 tanks. With that I think they deal with so many different things it's hard for them to know too much about cpap. How many people do they see say in a month and fit with masks? Do they do any follow up to see how these are working for people or just collect the data they need to make sure you are in compliance? The last place I was in was more like a small warehouse with a counter and small office all on a concrete floor, and a large area with O2 tanks. So I guess my question is there places out there that just do cpap? I know there are online places that just do this but because I don't live near a really big city is this all they have?

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Sat Feb 25, 2017 4:08 pm

Guest wrote:
LSAT wrote:
Guest wrote:
LSAT wrote:When dealing with Medicare, DMEs make very little money.
Which means they should provide poor service?
Maybe they should go into another line of service if they are not happy with cpap supplies.

Who said they were unhappy.....as Trump would say..."FAKE NEWS".
I think you misunderstood what was said again. I think what you quoted means for the DME's to get in a different service business if they
LSAT wrote:DMEs make very little money.
Instead you feel it's OK for them to provide poor service?
You are ASS uming again...Your "thinking" is making you sound stupid.

Post by Guest » Sat Feb 25, 2017 4:20 pm

LSAT wrote:
Guest wrote:
LSAT wrote:
Guest wrote:
LSAT wrote:When dealing with Medicare, DMEs make very little money.
Which means they should provide poor service?
Maybe they should go into another line of service if they are not happy with cpap supplies.

Who said they were unhappy.....as Trump would say..."FAKE NEWS".
I think you misunderstood what was said again. I think what you quoted means for the DME's to get in a different service business if they
LSAT wrote:DMEs make very little money.
Instead you feel it's OK for them to provide poor service?
You are ASS uming again...Your "thinking" is making you sound stupid.
"You are ASS uming again" like you were about why DME's provide poor service. I tried to give you the benefit of doubt but you are showing your "ASS uming again". Why don't you go tell BB what foul mouthed trucker she is again. I bet she can also beat you in arm wrestling the tatooed lady sure did.

"You are ASS uming again" and you are not good at it either. Find something you are good at if you can.

lwieland11

Post by lwieland11 » Sun Feb 26, 2017 5:04 am

When I went to pick up my new machine on Friday, the DME rep said that it was their policy as of Jan. 1 to require payment through bank draft or automatic withdrawal from a credit card on file only. I refused and said that the only way I feel comfortable paying is by check or electronic check. They pushed back and I pushed back again and said NO. They pushed back again and I said just not going to do it. She went and spoke to her manager, came back and gave in. Anyone else experience this aggressive stance toward payment by a DME. I've experienced this before. Unbelievable.

Rob K

Post by Rob K » Sun Feb 26, 2017 6:28 am

That's disturbing. I would never give anyone automatic access to my financial accounts. Find a different DME if possible.

Edit: And be sure to tell them why you are going elsewhere, because this trend needs to change.

Last edited by Rob K on Sun Feb 26, 2017 7:23 am, edited 2 times in total.

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Sun Feb 26, 2017 6:34 am

Rob K wrote:That's disturbing. I would never give anyone automatic access to my financial accounts. Find a different DME if possible.
I agree...NEVER

Post by Guest » Sun Feb 26, 2017 8:05 am

lwieland11 wrote:When I went to pick up my new machine on Friday, the DME rep said that it was their policy as of Jan. 1 to require payment through bank draft or automatic withdrawal from a credit card on file only.
Let me guess it was Apria? It is common knowledge that Apria will then double bill or over bill and then take forever to refund (if ever).

So if you must do business with Apria give them a pre-paid credit card. Or if you have already give them access to your bank acct or credit card close it. You can always say your card was lost. But you should find another DME before you need one as it takes time to get all the needed documents to them.

And I did find out even if you walk-in with a copy of your sleep study and a script for your equipment the DME will wait until they get a fax from who ever issued the original documents. Then they play the fax never came game.

btw - I found out that American Home Patient is owned by Lincare. That may explain some things eh.

zoglog

Post by zoglog » Mon Jul 10, 2017 5:07 pm

I've got nothing but horror stories from Apria.

Initial setup was pretty subpar but at least I got a machine i guess. For the first year it was fine but then the overbilling and overcharging started. They even submitted my insurance incorrectly one time for supplies and just decided to charge my card $200 without ever receiving an actual bill. That was really the last straw for me.

The issue is I don't find the whole process between picking a DME + Doctor's office + Insurance to be very easy to give you choice. Probably why these DME companies get by being total inept businesses because they don't have any incentives to treat customers well.

Honestly Insurance companies should just wisen up and let users bypass DME's altogether and buy from more online retailers.

robysue

Post by robysue » Mon Jul 10, 2017 6:41 pm

bmanley wrote:Thinking about finding a good DME makes me wonder if there is a place that only does CPAP.
Here in Buffalo, the DME I use (with my insurance) is called CPAPXpress. All they do is CPAP/bilevel/etc. They provide excellent service. Among other things, they set all their new CPAP patients up with their choice of a Resmed AirSense 10 AutoSet, PR DreamStation Auto CPAP, or the latest full data F&P APAP machine (I don't know the F&P machines.)

I'm not sure they take Medicare (I'm too young for Medicare).

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Mon Jul 10, 2017 6:56 pm

Talk about a short list, Called Lin-Don't-Care thursday, O2 pump blew it circuit breaker after 6 hours, woke the wife beeping. I unplugged it went back to bed, called them when I got back up, they said they would send someone out Friday afternoon. No show! No show Sat or Sunday! Called them today, they came out at 5 pm.

I looked it over, reset the machine breaker, turned it on it ran as normal, but for two days before it smelled like hot motor windings. The solution was turn it on leave it run all evening, then use it all night, if it failed call them again. tomorrow.

They did check the O2 output (95%), it ran as we knew it would. The bad part is if they change it out, the replacement will be a Medtronic used unit, and they are junk, before they put this used one in they tried two used Medtronic units one wouldn't run, and the other rattled all the windows in the room.

The bad news Lin-Don-t-Care, isn't the worst DME out there! Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire