Does anyone have a good DME experience?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
jds2001

Does anyone have a good DME experience?

Post by jds2001 » Sun Feb 19, 2017 5:20 pm

Just wondering, really. Everything I see here is horror stories about DME's, but mine has been fairly awesome. I use Landauer Medstar in NYC, which is a branch of QMES (a large East Coast DME company) and I've had nothing but positive experiences interacting with them - save for the time that they dropped off my machine and it seemed more like a glorified delivery service than anything else.

But through my mask problems, they did a "mask swap" (which is really a "give you a new mask" - they don't want the old one back). They just called me on Friday to say "congrats on 100% compliance for your first 30 days, everything going OK?" and when I mentioned some minor mask issues that I was having, they were like "well, take a look online and see if there's any you want to try. Give us a call back and we'll send it to you. You get to try 3 in your first 90 days, so there's really no risk". I called them back and told them I wanted to try an AirFit F20, and they're sending one out on Monday!

Additional Comments: SleepyHead and EncorePro software

bmanley

Re: Does anyone have a good DME experience?

Post by bmanley » Sun Feb 19, 2017 7:52 pm

I wish I had your DME here local. I've used two different ones and no real luck. Got screwed on my machine and then the humidifier after that. Didn't have the doctor order it with the machine so they got me for the add on. Going to be dealing with my 3rd on this next week I think and will see how it goes. Would love to find one that helps and not charge me for everything they can

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Sun Feb 19, 2017 8:17 pm

jds2001 wrote:Just wondering, really. Everything I see here is horror stories about DME's, but mine has been fairly awesome. I use Landauer Medstar in NYC, which is a branch of QMES (a large East Coast DME company) and I've had nothing but positive experiences interacting with them - save for the time that they dropped off my machine and it seemed more like a glorified delivery service than anything else.

But through my mask problems, they did a "mask swap" (which is really a "give you a new mask" - they don't want the old one back). They just called me on Friday to say "congrats on 100% compliance for your first 30 days, everything going OK?" and when I mentioned some minor mask issues that I was having, they were like "well, take a look online and see if there's any you want to try. Give us a call back and we'll send it to you. You get to try 3 in your first 90 days, so there's really no risk". I called them back and told them I wanted to try an AirFit F20, and they're sending one out on Monday!
And of course they gave you a APAP that collects full data, so you can take control of your own treatment. That would be a good DME. Jim

If you are looking for good DME's it will be a short list.
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

Okie bipap

Post by Okie bipap » Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:21 pm

My first DME, a local company, was very good. I would still be with them if I could, but, they lost their medicare contract last summer. I then went on the medicare web site to see which DME companies service my zip code. I found an on-line company that accepts medicare and tricare, so I have switched to them. So far, I haven't had any trouble with them. When I first had my records sent to them, they sent me a box of supplies I didn't request. I notified them, and they arranged to have it picked up. I ordered what I actually needed, and it was at my house within three days. I haven't ordered anything since, and probably won't for at least a year as I have plenty of supplies on hand.

Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional.

bmanley

Post by bmanley » Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:42 pm

My first DME even kept the extra cushions for my nasal mask after they sized me. Would have been nice to have the extras in case I wanted to try them

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:52 pm

My first FOUR local DME's were either unvarnished crooks or shady enough to
make me zip my purse shut before entering their office.
The current one seems to be OK.
I still check the Medicare providers site just to be sure they still have the green "M".

bmanley

Post by bmanley » Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:45 pm

Well it looks like the 3rd DME is not going to be much better then any of the rest. When I called them a week and a half ago I asked if they had the Resmed Airsense 10 Auto and they said yes. With that I told them my doc had ordered a new machine and a mask. They told me to have my doc fax the orders and they would get it together. Well I called last Wed to see how it was going and they had not received anything so I called the doc, they sent it to the wrong place. Told me if they could get it they could bring it out the next day since Thursday was the day in my area. Well it took until Friday afternoon before they could get it together and said it would be next Wed before they were in my area. I could come pick it up if I wanted so I told them I would call Monday if I could get there. Even talked to them about getting the climateline tubing, she said she was not sure which machine they were going to give me but both were the same price. Called first thing this morning and they could see me if I came right in. 32 miles one way. Got to the office and sat down in the office and she starts unpacking a dream station. Asked her about the resmed and was told they don't let them stock them but could order one. But not until tomorrow when the normal girl was in to do it. Said it looked like I wasted a trip. So I decided to talk about masks while I was there. They told me on the phone I could have any I wanted. Doc office only had a few to look at but said I should get the amara view. They told me I would never get a seal with it and facial hair. Asked about the Airfit F20 and was told it would never seal. Recommended some mask I had never seen and it had the piece that sat on my forehead. I hate anything like that. So I wasted a 64 mile drive and not sure when I will have a new machine. Doctor wanted a report a month from my appt and that will be next week. Not sure I want to wait for this outfit to order a machine since they didn't know how long it takes. Guess I should start looking around for somebody that stocks the right stuff and go get all the right paper work I need.

Pap-Daddy

Post by Pap-Daddy » Mon Feb 20, 2017 1:44 pm

bmanley wrote:they could see me if I came right in. 32 miles one way. Got to the office and sat down in the office and she starts unpacking a dream station. Asked her about the resmed and was told they don't let them stock them but could order one. But not until tomorrow when the normal girl was in to do it. Said it looked like I wasted a trip.
Unfortunately this seems to be extremely commonplace in the DME industry.

I had a similar experience with American Home Patient where I called them to ask and mentioned they should put in my record that I will not accept anything but a Respironics cpap, no exceptions for any reason. They agreed. When they tried the bait n switch they lost that part of my business.

Then they refused to order a mask I wanted they lost my business for life. Not a good way to run any business, IMO, esp when it means a lifetime of supplies AND referrals too.

It seems that DME's feel they have a captive audience and will say anything to get you in the door or even to place an order.
BUT .. if someone else bills your insurance first they will get denied if it is a duplicate within the allotted time.

So I went to another provider and told them if they can get me what I want first they are in. Kinda like going out for a competitive bid. 5 weeks after I got my cpap AHP called to say my cpap was in - how nice.

Too bad...soo sad.

bmanley

Post by bmanley » Mon Feb 20, 2017 2:00 pm

Yep it sure seems like they are all the same. So sad but I bet they get a deal since they only stock on brand. If I had all the paperwork they needed I would start calling around to find somebody that stocks what I want. Guess I should call the hospital and get all that so I can do what ever I want. Think these places just assume nobody knows anything and will take what ever makes them more money. If I had a full data machine maybe I would not have been blind for 5 years and know what is going on and be able to fix it.

ThisGuy

Post by ThisGuy » Mon Feb 20, 2017 2:09 pm

I am using Home Health Depot in Indiana and have been very happy with them. Small operation, one person does the cpap stuff. The have a store close to my work. I haven't had any problem getting what I needed. I don't pay until after insurance clears. They even ship to my house. I get check up called every 6-8 weeks asking if I need anything. After reading all the bad stories here I was worried, but have been pleasantly surprised.

Wulfman...

Post by Wulfman... » Mon Feb 20, 2017 2:15 pm

I've NEVER used a local brick & mortar DME. I've used online sellers ( primarily https://www.cpap.com ) and have purchased from a few private individuals ( mostly forum members ).......and have never had a problem with any of them. I never had to worry about meeting a deductible and could buy lots of extra items for what I saved by not having to meet a deductible.
Consequently, I'm a strong proponent of using online sellers. They ARE "DMEs", too.
So, "YES", I've had great DME experiences.

Den

(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

bmanley

Post by bmanley » Mon Feb 20, 2017 2:21 pm

I have a great place online where I get all my replacement supplies from but they can't do the machine. Says medicare requires a face to face meeting.

Post by Guest » Mon Feb 20, 2017 2:52 pm

bmanley wrote:I have a great place online where I get all my replacement supplies from but they can't do the machine. Says medicare requires a face to face meeting.
Yes Medicare does require a face to face but that is not the DME's problem. The problem for online DME's is Medicare requires the cpap be delivered and setup with instructions how to use - makes sense.

I use Verus online for supplies cuz they take Medicare (unfortunately cpap dot com doesn't) - mailed to the house - no problems there. I just email compliance to the doc for the face to face NP there either.

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Mon Feb 20, 2017 3:07 pm

bmanley wrote:Yep it sure seems like they are all the same. So sad but I bet they get a deal since they only stock on brand. If I had all the paperwork they needed I would start calling around to find somebody that stocks what I want. Guess I should call the hospital and get all that so I can do what ever I want. Think these places just assume nobody knows anything and will take what ever makes them more money. If I had a full data machine maybe I would not have been blind for 5 years and know what is going on and be able to fix it.
They are NOT all the same...my small local DME stocks and displays everything. If they don't have something it can be ordered with delivery within 5 days. When dealing with Medicare, DMEs make very little money.

Post by Guest » Mon Feb 20, 2017 3:14 pm

LSAT wrote:When dealing with Medicare, DMEs make very little money.
Which means they should provide poor service?
Maybe they should go into another line of service if they are not happy with cpap supplies.