Still snoring with CPAP on, newbie here

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Carlover

Still snoring with CPAP on, newbie here

Post by Carlover » Sun Feb 19, 2017 3:34 pm

But machine says my mask seal is ok? Having lots of issues so far. Welts on face, leaks (on 4th mask trial) need a full mask as I'm a mouth breather. Mask slipping off, dryness, bloated stomach sometimes
Loosing hope that I'll find some results with this thing. Sleep study place gets my results wireless, if they see issues should they not call? I don't realize some of these things as my wifes telling me. What if I was alone? Feeling frustrated! Help pls!

D.H.

Re: Still snoring with CPAP on, newbie here

Post by D.H. » Sun Feb 19, 2017 3:49 pm

First of all. I don't know what kind of machine you have or whether you're using a humidifier. If you have not already done so, please fill in your equipment profile. The profiles are not showing at the moment, so please state what you have in the reply.

Also, for contact irritation, soak the face piece in 50% vinegar solution for two hours before first (or next) use. That worked wonders for me.

Carlover

Post by Carlover » Sun Feb 19, 2017 3:59 pm

D.H. wrote:First of all. I don't know what kind of machine you have or whether you're using a humidifier. If you have not already done so, please fill in your equipment profile. The profiles are not showing at the moment, so please state what you have in the reply.

Also, for contact irritation, soak the face piece in 50% vinegar solution for two hours before first (or next) use. That worked wonders for me.

machine: Resmed airsense 10
Mask: Fisher and paykel simplus
Humidity: yes with heated tube

What does the vinegar do?

Julie

Post by Julie » Sun Feb 19, 2017 4:04 pm

What are your pressure settings - it's important. And DH gives his vinegar recipe to everyone... feel free to ignore it (it could deteriorate the silicon). Your welts may be due to either overtightening of the mask (it's supposed to hover on your face not be squished) or an allergy... but look up Padacheek.com as a member here has designed 'liners' and pads to avoid such problems. And vinegar won't fix allergies.+

OkyDoky

Post by OkyDoky » Sun Feb 19, 2017 4:09 pm

ResMed Airsense 10 has different models. Which do you have? It should be stated on the front of the machine (CPAP, Elite, Autoset or Autoset for Her).
Check out here for liners. http://padacheek.com/ or you can get free RemZzz samples here and then cut out your own liners. http://www.remzzzs.com/
ResMed Aircurve 10 VAUTO EPAP 11 IPAP 15 / P10 pillows mask / Sleepyhead Software / Back up & travel machine Respironics 760

Carlover

Post by Carlover » Sun Feb 19, 2017 4:16 pm

Julie wrote:What are your pressure settings - it's important. And DH gives his vinegar recipe to everyone... feel free to ignore it (it could deteriorate the silicon). Your welts may be due to either overtightening of the mask (it's supposed to hover on your face not be squished) or an allergy... but look up Padacheek.com as a member here has designed 'liners' and pads to avoid such problems. And vinegar won't fix allergies.+
I can't find them? I looked. OK I'll try to let it hover, but find pillow pushes it off of not more tight wife wakes me and says it's blowing away lol. Thx for the info, I'll look into those! Wish this was much easier than it has been.

bonjour

Post by bonjour » Sun Feb 19, 2017 4:16 pm

Great, you have a data capable machine.
The graphs that you can get will help us help you more than you could believe.
Please download Sleepyhead,
Organize your charts (very important to provide the needed data)
Take a screenshot of your graphs,
Open an acconut at IMGUR.COM
Place your screenprint in your folder on IMGUR
Click on Large Thumbprint and the the copy to Board
Past the code in your post here

Please see my signature for how to do this.

Mouth Breathing
Mouth Breathing is when you open your mouth and the air pressure from your PAP is venting out your mouth typically showing on your charts as a large leak which can substantially negate the effectiveness of your therapy. It is generally not good. The solution varies depending on the person

How to manage Mouth Breathing, not in any particular order. Realize that ALL of these solutions fail for some people. Nothing will work for everyone

FFM – Full Face Mask. This is a very traditional solution to mouth breathing and it is generally effective.
Practice nose breathing with your tongue at the roof of your mouth with the tip behind your top teeth. This helps close the path to the mouth which can stop mouth breathing.

Chin Strap. A chin strap is to manage mouth leaks from a variety of causes. Most result from the jaw dropping or opening either partially or wider. The chin strap is to gently keep the jaw closed. If you have to crank it shut to make it work this is not the correct solution. This is the “standard” solution for users who desire to keep their non-FFM or are adverse to using a Full Face Mask. Note that your jaw is strong enough to open against a chinstrap if it wants to.

Cervical collar. A Cervical Collar may also be used to keep the jaw from dropping. This is a non-traditional solution suggested by PAP users. These come in a variety of sizes and can be found in many pharmacies. The purpose of a cervical collar is to immobilize the head and neck when neck, back or spinal cord trauma is suspected. This is NOT the purpose here, look for a looser fit, all we want is to prevent the jaw from dropping, kind of a reminder, to prevent mouth breathing.

Mouth Guard. The concept here is a closed mouth guard to keep the air from leaking out.

Taping. The purpose of taping is to seal the lips and prevent mouth leaks / mouth breathing. It is not to stop the mouth from opening. This method is the most controversial. The fear some have is that you will not be able to quickly remove the tape and you may suffocate. Try to use as little tape as possible. I make sure that I can easily open my mouth, when taped, if I need to. I have a very full mustache and beard, almost Santa Clause like (little kids have mistakenly identified me as Santa). Try placing the tape on the lips, it doesn’t have to go over the mouth, I tape so you can see the shape of my lips.

Carlover

Post by Carlover » Sun Feb 19, 2017 4:17 pm

OkyDoky wrote:ResMed Airsense 10 has different models. Which do you have? It should be stated on the front of the machine (CPAP, Elite, Autoset or Autoset for Her).
Check out here for liners. http://padacheek.com/ or you can get free RemZzz samples here and then cut out your own liners. http://www.remzzzs.com/
Autoset for her lol, is there one for him

Oh great thx for info!

Carlover

Post by Carlover » Sun Feb 19, 2017 4:23 pm

bonjour wrote:Great, you have a data capable machine.

Mouth Breathing
Mouth Breathing is when you open your mouth and the air pressure from your PAP is venting out your mouth typically showing on your charts as a large leak which can substantially negate the effectiveness of your therapy. It is generally not good. The solution varies depending on the person

How to manage Mouth Breathing, not in any particular order. Realize that ALL of these solutions fail for some people. Nothing will work for everyone

FFM – Full Face Mask. This is a very traditional solution to mouth breathing and it is generally effective.
Practice nose breathing with your tongue at the roof of your mouth with the tip behind your top teeth. This helps close the path to the mouth which can stop mouth breathing.

Chin Strap. A chin strap is to manage mouth leaks from a variety of causes. Most result from the jaw dropping or opening either partially or wider. The chin strap is to gently keep the jaw closed. If you have to crank it shut to make it work this is not the correct solution. This is the “standard” solution for users who desire to keep their non-FFM or are adverse to using a Full Face Mask. Note that your jaw is strong enough to open against a chinstrap if it wants to.

Cervical collar. A Cervical Collar may also be used to keep the jaw from dropping. This is a non-traditional solution suggested by PAP users. These come in a variety of sizes and can be found in many pharmacies. The purpose of a cervical collar is to immobilize the head and neck when neck, back or spinal cord trauma is suspected. This is NOT the purpose here, look for a looser fit, all we want is to prevent the jaw from dropping, kind of a reminder, to prevent mouth breathing.

Mouth Guard. The concept here is a closed mouth guard to keep the air from leaking out.

Taping. The purpose of taping is to seal the lips and prevent mouth leaks / mouth breathing. It is not to stop the mouth from opening. This method is the most controversial. The fear some have is that you will not be able to quickly remove the tape and you may suffocate. Try to use as little tape as possible. I make sure that I can easily open my mouth, when taped, if I need to. I have a very full mustache and beard, almost Santa Clause like (little kids have mistakenly identified me as Santa). Try placing the tape on the lips, it doesn’t have to go over the mouth, I tape so you can see the shape of my lips.
Ok I will do! Thx everyone. This should get me started and I will be back after I figure it all out.

OkyDoky

Post by OkyDoky » Sun Feb 19, 2017 4:28 pm

Learn here how to download Sleepyhead.https://sleep.tnet.com/resources/sleepyhead
Then here how to organize your graphs, take a screenshot, and use Imgur to post. There are 3 pages so when you get to the bottom be sure and click on the next link. https://sleep.tnet.com/resources/sleepyhead/shorganize
If you have questions just ask.
ResMed Aircurve 10 VAUTO EPAP 11 IPAP 15 / P10 pillows mask / Sleepyhead Software / Back up & travel machine Respironics 760

Carlover

Post by Carlover » Sun Feb 19, 2017 5:08 pm

Do I take SD card out to get data? Maybe getting ahead of myself. Just asking before you guys retire for the day

bonjour

Post by bonjour » Sun Feb 19, 2017 5:09 pm

Yes
You have to read the SD card into the computer that you install Sleepyhead into.

Carlover

Post by Carlover » Sun Feb 19, 2017 5:33 pm

bonjour wrote:Great, you have a data capable machine.

Mouth Breathing

The chin strap tape the lips as the mask on just my nose I'm choking and can't breath so for closed mouth that's a no

Okie bipap

Post by Okie bipap » Sun Feb 19, 2017 6:10 pm

If you are interested in making your own mask liners, here is a link to where I got the pattern I used for my mask liners when I was using the Simplus:
http://montfordhouse.com/cpap/diy-cotton-mask-liner.pdf

I made my liners out of an old well-worn tee shirt. My wife crocheted a small bag with a drawstring on it. We throw the liners in the bag and put it in with the whites when we do laundry. We then iron the masks dry after they are laundered. The pattern will work with either a small or medium sized mask. It can be enlarged to fit a large mask.

Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional.

Julie

Post by Julie » Sun Feb 19, 2017 6:12 pm

Google Pappillow.com...