SOCLEAN 2

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Re: SOCLEAN 2

Post by chunkyfrog » Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:26 am

Goof, you SLAY me!

flightco

Post by flightco » Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:36 am

archangle wrote:
chunkyfrog wrote:The levels of ozone needed to truly kill enough microbes to be useful would be far too DANGEROUS
to be used anywhere but IN A LAB. No one is allowed to have these deadly levels of ozone in a home.
In my opinion, SoClean is nothing but an expensive TOY--created only to capitalize on mental illness.
They should be ASHAMED of themselves!
Not true. You wouldn't be allowed to have germ-killing levels of ozone in the air in the room with something like a home room air cleaner/sanitizer. The SoClean has a small confined space mostly sealed off from the room air. It's entirely possible to get ozone in such a space to germ killing levels without endangering the humans around the machine. I suspect if you could somehow climb into the SoClean chamber while running, you'd get really sick or die fairly quickly.

The SoClean confines the ozone into a closed air system and doesn't leak much ozone into the air. It tries to destroy the ozone at the end of the cycle. Even if it didn't confine and destroy the ozone, it probably doesn't produce ozone fast enough to make the room air harmful.

I'm not saying SoClean is actually effective, but it's entirely possible to safely generate enough ozone to kill germs in a device like that. To me, the big question is can you generate enough ozone to kill germs without harming the rubber or plastic CPAP parts. Plus ozone doesn't clean much, at best it kills germs.
Not so sure you are correct about it generating enough ozone to sterilize. So Clean talks about ozone being used in hospitals, that is true. The process is very complicated and not all devices are able to be sterilized in the TS03 Sterilizer. The article below is the patent information for the TS03 Sterilizer and describes its cycle; what it does not say is that there is a "tank farm" full of full size O2 tanks that is used to produce the ozone, it doesn't pretend to whip it up out of thin air in qtys great enough to sterilize. Also notice the cycle

Notice that the first thing that happens is the temp of the item being sterilized is raised (not done at room temperature). Next a vacuum is pulled and the entire sterilization process is done in a vacuum. The vacuum accomplishes two things.
1. It removes the air which is a barrier to sterilization
2. By pulling a vacuum and removing the atmosphere surrounding the device, when the ozone is injected it rushes to the device filling all nooks and crannies with ozone.

So, lets notice what this sterilizer does that the SoClean does not.

It raises the temperature of the device being sterilized
It pulls and holds a vacuum throughout the entire cycle to eliminate the "air barrier' and allow the ozone to reach instantly into the device
It uses oxygen, lots of oxygen to create the required volume of ozone.

If TSO3 could have achieved true sterilization without adding all these expensive and complicated elements to the process, they would have but they were necessary for ozone sterilization.

Method and apparatus for ozone sterilization

Patent number: 7588720

Abstract: The present invention provides a method and apparatus for sterilizing articles using an ozone-containing gas, where condensation of water from the sterilization atmosphere during the sterilization process is substantially prevented. The inventive sterilization method includes providing a sterilization chamber and placing an article into the sterilization chamber. The sterilization chamber is sealed prior to equalizing the temperature of the article and the atmosphere in the sterilization chamber. A vacuum is applied to achieve a preselected vacuum pressure in the sterilization chamber. Once the vacuum pressure is set, water vapour is supplied to the sterilization chamber. Ozone-containing gas is then supplied to the sterilization chamber and the sterilization chamber remains sealed for a preselected treatment period, where the sterilization chamber remains sealed throughout the whole process.
Type: Grant

Filed: October 31, 2006

Date of Patent: September 15, 2009

Assignee: TSO3, Inc.

Inventors: Richard Turcot, Simon Robitaille, Sylvie Dufresne

palerider

Post by palerider » Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:52 pm

flightco wrote:
archangle wrote:
chunkyfrog wrote:The levels of ozone needed to truly kill enough microbes to be useful would be far too DANGEROUS
to be used anywhere but IN A LAB. No one is allowed to have these deadly levels of ozone in a home.
In my opinion, SoClean is nothing but an expensive TOY--created only to capitalize on mental illness.
They should be ASHAMED of themselves!
Not true. You wouldn't be allowed to have germ-killing levels of ozone in the air in the room with something like a home room air cleaner/sanitizer. The SoClean has a small confined space mostly sealed off from the room air. It's entirely possible to get ozone in such a space to germ killing levels without endangering the humans around the machine. I suspect if you could somehow climb into the SoClean chamber while running, you'd get really sick or die fairly quickly.

The SoClean confines the ozone into a closed air system and doesn't leak much ozone into the air. It tries to destroy the ozone at the end of the cycle. Even if it didn't confine and destroy the ozone, it probably doesn't produce ozone fast enough to make the room air harmful.

I'm not saying SoClean is actually effective, but it's entirely possible to safely generate enough ozone to kill germs in a device like that. To me, the big question is can you generate enough ozone to kill germs without harming the rubber or plastic CPAP parts. Plus ozone doesn't clean much, at best it kills germs.
Not so sure you are correct about it generating enough ozone to sterilize.
archangle has a long history of sauntering into the room, hitching up his overalls, and going on at length about things he doesn't really know anything about, but of course, he's got 'opinions'.

Last edited by palerider on Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Get OSCAR

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:43 pm

---but he has the cutest avatar . . .

archangle

Post by archangle » Sat Apr 01, 2017 1:23 am

palerider wrote:archangle has a long history of sauntering into the room, hitching up his overalls, and going on at length about things he doesn't really know anything about, but of course, he's got 'opinions'.
Well, as long as you keep disagreeing with me, I know I'm doing something right.

Please enter your equipment in your profile so we can help you.
Click here for information on the most common alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check for yourself.

Useful Links.