How can they do this?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
LSAT

How can they do this?

Post by LSAT » Mon Feb 13, 2017 8:47 am

How can Amazon afford to sell CPAP machines at these prices and without prescriptions?

https://www.amazon.com/Respironics-dx50 ... ap+machine

https://www.amazon.com/Dream-Station-Au ... ap+machine
Last edited by LSAT on Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

linuxman

Re: How can they do this?

Post by linuxman » Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:02 am

Well, those are both third party sales, so it's not actually Amazon selling it. The first link says in the product details that it's imported, so that may be the reason they avoid trouble with regard to needing a prescription (not that that's legal either..but maybe less likely to get caught/prosecuted). The second link however is apparently a US company ( https://www.cpapstoreusa.com/pages/about-us-1). They mention their 800 number near the bottom of the page,and that's who's at that number. Their actual web site says prescription required. Maybe they're trying to pull a fast one on Amazon? I guess it's possible that the actual company name listed on Amazon (Twilight Products) is another company that fronts cpapstoreusa..possibly shipping from outside of the country? Not sure..but certainly interesting.

On the price.. I just have to assume that the wholesale price for these machines is lower than that price (probably a very little amount lower). That wouldn't surprise me.

Additional Comments: Sleepyhead software

knothead

Post by knothead » Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:45 am

Looks like they are selling masks without scripts too...

https://www.amazon.com/61203-Mirage-Qua ... tro+medium

Post by Guest » Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:15 am

LSAT wrote:How can Amazon afford to sell CPAP machines at these prices and without prescriptions?
You say that like it's a bad thing?
Unless you have gone thru all of the steps to buy these things how do you know they don't request one somewhere along the process?

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:31 am

Guest wrote:
LSAT wrote:How can Amazon afford to sell CPAP machines at these prices and without prescriptions?
You say that like it's a bad thing?
Unless you have gone thru all of the steps to buy these things how do you know they don't request one somewhere along the process?
If you take the time to read the entire ad....it says.......

Question: Do I need a prescription to purchase machine?
Answer: You do not necessarily need a prescription to purchase a machine but you do need to know a few things from your provider. First, what pressure setting (a fixed or range). Next, what type of mask (a full face, nasal or nasal pillow). Thirdly, do you need a CPAP or BiPAP unit. And lastly, do you need a heated hose or not… see more
By CPAP Sales and Supplies USA SELLER on December 18, 2016

Post by Guest » Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:00 am

LSAT wrote:If you take the time to read the entire ad....it says.......
and so you just want to ruin it? How nice.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:12 am

Black or gray market. "Law" is sometimes irrelevant, but there are trade-offs . . .

palerider

Post by palerider » Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:57 am

because markups.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Hang Fire

Post by Hang Fire » Mon Feb 13, 2017 12:15 pm

LSAT wrote:How can Amazon sell CPAP machines without prescriptions?
Trump has gotten rid of regulations.

That's a good thing. No one ever hurt themselves because they didn't have a script for their CPAP.

LSAT, Don't make a fuss about this good thing.

SleepyMcgee

Post by SleepyMcgee » Mon Feb 13, 2017 2:39 pm

Hang Fire wrote:

That's a good thing. No one ever hurt themselves because they didn't have a script for their CPAP.

Incorrect.

I bought a brand new CPAP off of amazon 6+ months ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post by Guest » Mon Feb 13, 2017 3:50 pm

SleepyMcgee wrote:Incorrect.

I bought a brand new CPAP off of amazon 6+ months ago.
What are you saying is incorrect?

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Mon Feb 13, 2017 5:20 pm

Hang Fire wrote:

That was not my quote...I was questioning their low prices...I wasn't making a fuss.....Here is what I said...
"How can Amazon afford to sell CPAP machines at these prices and without prescriptions?"

D.H.

Post by D.H. » Mon Feb 13, 2017 5:27 pm

Hang Fire wrote:

That's kind of nonsensical, since I don't think he'll be touching this kind of regulation. Also, it's still harmful to breathe polluted air and drink polluted water. Dodd-Frank was enacted to protect society against the greedy practices that led to the meltdown of 2008. Removing these regs is a very bad thing!

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Mon Feb 13, 2017 5:33 pm

LSAT wrote:That was not my quote...I was questioning their low prices...I wasn't making a fuss.....Here is what I said...
"How can Amazon afford to sell CPAP machines at these prices and without prescriptions?"
Amazon just gets a piece of the pie for allowing the 3 rd party seller to list the product.
I don't know how big of a piece of the pie they get but it's probably like EBay..as small percentage of the purchase price.
Amazon isn't going out and buying these machines in bulk wholesale or anything like that. Amazon is just a go between in this situation. I don't know what all is involved with becoming a 3 rd party seller on Amazon.

Now as to how this 3rd party seller can sell them for this amount...I would have to assume they are making money which means that however they bought the machines...it was at a price lower than the asking price shown in the listing. Most of these 3rd party sellers also seem to be some sort of home health aid business if you take the time to go digging into their information. I would assume that these 3rd party sellers have opted to ignore the RX thing or have decided to look the other way or maybe they interpret things differently as in "a RX might be needed but we don't have to keep a copy"...who knows what goes on in their minds.

How can they sell them so cheap? Low overhead maybe? Obviously a low wholesale cost point because they aren't going to be losing money...maybe they are happy with a smaller profit margin.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Sheriff Buford

Post by Sheriff Buford » Mon Feb 13, 2017 7:39 pm

I was shopping online for a heating element for my dryer. Got several quotes between $60 - $70. I looked on Amazon and the same element sold for $19.

Sheriff