Side Sleeper needs mask help

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
jagreen34

Side Sleeper needs mask help

Post by jagreen34 » Mon Feb 06, 2017 1:36 pm

Hello,

I've been a very faithful user of my cpap for almost 7 years. During that time I wore the Quattro FF FX for 4 years then had another sleep study after a tonsillectomy and switched to the Mirage Quattro for another 3 years. Over the last year and as my weight has gone up about 20 pounds I have been sleeping very poorly. I had another study in December and received a new machine. I was fitted for a new mask at the time. I have been wearing, if you can call it that, the Resmed Air Fit 10 FF mask since. My machine, which is new to me, says I am getting a fit of about 60% leaks on avg. I don't like this mask and want to try another. I have found that many times when going to a fitting I end up with less than helpful advice or choices.

What should I try?

jtravel

Re: Side Sleeper needs mask help

Post by jtravel » Mon Feb 06, 2017 1:53 pm

why not go back to the Other FFM that worked for you in the past?

jagreen34

Post by jagreen34 » Mon Feb 06, 2017 1:59 pm

jtravel wrote:why not go back to the Other FFM that worked for you in the past?
I did for a week and the leaks were just as high. So maybe the technology that states leaks is wrong? I have a very low AHI under 1.2.

OkyDoky

Post by OkyDoky » Mon Feb 06, 2017 2:02 pm

jagreen34 wrote:
jtravel wrote:why not go back to the Other FFM that worked for you in the past?
I did for a week and the leaks were just as high. So maybe the technology that states leaks is wrong? I have a very low AHI under 1.2.
Or maybe your old machine didn't report leaks. What make and model of machine are you using now?
ResMed Aircurve 10 VAUTO EPAP 11 IPAP 15 / P10 pillows mask / Sleepyhead Software / Back up & travel machine Respironics 760

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Mon Feb 06, 2017 3:51 pm

It would really help to know what machine you are using. Where are you seeing the leaks? With an AHI of <1.2 your leaks can't be that bad.

englandsf

Post by englandsf » Mon Feb 06, 2017 5:48 pm

Can you trust an AHI with 60% leaks? I don't think I would.

Curious as to why the OP is using a FFM - is there a reason or was it just prescribed? P10 is excellent on side and when I'm congested I use an Amara View but it's nowhere near as comfortable and leaks bit more - often 2-4%.

jagreen34

Post by jagreen34 » Mon Feb 06, 2017 6:59 pm

Yes my old machine didn't report leaks. New machine is a Dream Station.

Any advice on a mask?

I wish I could do nasal pillows but I've tried those before and found them very difficult to get used to. Any suggestions on that or should I just stick with the full face mask since I've been using one for 7 years

palerider

Post by palerider » Mon Feb 06, 2017 7:01 pm

jagreen34 wrote: So maybe the technology that states leaks is wrong?
nope, leaks are one of the *easiest* things for the machine to figure.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

jagreen34

Post by jagreen34 » Mon Feb 06, 2017 7:02 pm

englandsf wrote:Can you trust an AHI with 60% leaks? I don't think I would.

Curious as to why the OP is using a FFM - is there a reason or was it just prescribed? P10 is excellent on side and when I'm congested I use an Amara View but it's nowhere near as comfortable and leaks bit more - often 2-4%.
Yes I've never used anything but a full face mask because that's just what I was given seven years ago. I did try pillows for a week a few years ago and couldn't sleep at all hardly I have pretty severe allergies and I'm congested a lot.

OkyDoky

Post by OkyDoky » Mon Feb 06, 2017 7:24 pm

If you are wanting to fix the leaks and try to use one of your FF masks we could try to offer suggestions. If you are wanting a different mask browse here and read the reviews. Some of the masks have free return insurance. So you can try one and return within 30 days if they don't work. https://www.cpap.com/cpap-masks.php
Finding a mask is very individual.
ResMed Aircurve 10 VAUTO EPAP 11 IPAP 15 / P10 pillows mask / Sleepyhead Software / Back up & travel machine Respironics 760

jagreen34

Post by jagreen34 » Mon Feb 06, 2017 7:48 pm

OkyDoky wrote:If you are wanting to fix the leaks and try to use one of your FF masks we could try to offer suggestions. If you are wanting a different mask browse here and read the reviews. Some of the masks have free return insurance. So you can try one and return within 30 days
Thanks I am already adept at using Google for searches. I can return mine with 30 days too... that is why I'm asking for suggestions. I've also spent a good deal of my life watching videos about how to get rid of masks and it never works for me. I also have a beard so maybe that has something to do with it. It's okay I'll just continue to struggle with a random mask
I came to this community because I thought you would be able to provide more insight but it appears it's about the same as I get from a respiratory technician. And I want to apologize that my frustration is coming through. I found this whole process of finding a mouse that works extremely frustrating. And I found there are very few people that actually help.

jagreen34

Post by jagreen34 » Mon Feb 06, 2017 7:49 pm

jagreen34 wrote:
OkyDoky wrote:If you are wanting to fix the leaks and try to use one of your FF masks we could try to offer suggestions. If you are wanting a different mask browse here and read the reviews. Some of the masks have free return insurance. So you can try one and return within 30 days
Thanks I am already adept at using Google for searches. I can return mine with 30 days too... that is why I'm asking for suggestions. I've also spent a good deal of my life watching videos about how to get rid of masks and it never works for me. I also have a beard so maybe that has something to do with it. It's okay I'll just continue to struggle with a random mask
I came to this community because I thought you would be able to provide more insight but it appears it's about the same as I get from a respiratory technician. And I want to apologize that my frustration is coming through. I found this whole process of finding a mouse that works extremely frustrating. And I found there are very few people that actually help.
Mask leaks that is... videos about reducing mask leaks.

jagreen34

Post by jagreen34 » Mon Feb 06, 2017 7:51 pm

jagreen34 wrote:
jagreen34 wrote:
Mask leaks that is... videos about reducing mask leaks.
So much for voice recognition.

OkyDoky

Post by OkyDoky » Mon Feb 06, 2017 8:14 pm

Are you wanting to try a nasal mask and try to use other options to keep your mouth shut? Have you looked at those options? Guess I'm having a difficult time understanding what you need. It can be frustrating and a beard with a FF mask is very difficult to seal. If you want to get suggestions for FF masks with a beard, you might try to put that in your topic title.
Last edited by OkyDoky on Mon Feb 06, 2017 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

palerider

Post by palerider » Mon Feb 06, 2017 8:26 pm

jagreen34 wrote:that is why I'm asking for suggestions. I also have a beard so maybe that has something to do with it.
shave or use a nasal mask, it's exceedingly difficult to get a ffm to seal on a beard.
jagreen34 wrote:I came to this community because I thought you would be able to provide more insight but it appears it's about the same as I get from a respiratory technician. And I want to apologize that my frustration is coming through.
'
maybe next time, check your attitude at the door.

mask selection is a very personal thing, just because something works great for 100 people online doesn't mean you'll like it, you have to try various masks.

and not even mentioning your beard until half way down the thread???

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.