machine turned off on its own last night

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Jack Burton

Re: machine turned off on its own last night

Post by Jack Burton » Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:22 am

Sheriff Buford wrote:Turn off the smart start. When I said in previous posts my S9 "crapped out" ... that's what it was doing... stopping in the middle of the night. I never used smart start. Turn off the smart start and see if it stops.

Sheriff
Feeling very foggy this morning so maybe I am missing something that you are trying to tell me.
I am not ignoring the folks who have advised me to disable smart start.

Less likely but maybe I am not getting my point across.
The 95% leak rate was 25-35 with pillows and is ~10 with the nasal mask and the large leaks have all but disappeared since going back to the mask.
Since I understand that the large leaks can interfere with therapy I'm holding off on testing the smart start feature in hopes of feeling better.
The machine has powered off during therapy 2 times and on those 2 occasions I was wearing nasal pillows.
Since my %95 pressure is ~18-19 I wonder if the pillows can be expected to deliver in this regime.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:28 am

Jack Burton wrote:Since my %95 pressure is ~18-19 I wonder if the pillows can be expected to deliver in this regime.
I routinely see pressures over 20 cm...the nasal pillows work fine...all are rated for 20 cm and some are rate for up to 30 cm pressure.

Most likely the machine turned off because of a leak that was big enough that it couldn't sense you were on the other end.

If your 95% leak was 25 to 35 then we know it went higher and at 40 the machine can shut itself off because it doesn't have a clue what is going on.
Something isn't right if you get that much leak with the nasal pillow and don't have that much with the nasal cushion.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

OkyDoky

Post by OkyDoky » Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:37 am

I was going to ask you to fill in your equipment profile but it looks like all of the equipment profiles have disappeared. Maybe they are working on them.
If you have different pillow sizes to try go to the next larger size to see if that helps.
ResMed Aircurve 10 VAUTO EPAP 11 IPAP 15 / P10 pillows mask / Sleepyhead Software / Back up & travel machine Respironics 760

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:53 am

OkyDoky wrote:I was going to ask you to fill in your equipment profile but it looks like all of the equipment profiles have disappeared. Maybe they are working on them.
I got some weird errors last night on the forum..so I think there is something going on with the board software.
When this has happened in the past the equipment profiles seem to go AWOL...may take a few days for them to come back...or at least that has been the way it was in the past.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Jack Burton

Post by Jack Burton » Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:59 am

Pugsy wrote: Something isn't right if you get that much leak with the nasal pillow and don't have that much with the nasal cushion.
I typically use the large pillows because they are most comfortable but I did try the medium size and the results were not conclusive.
Now that I am using Sleepyhead I want to build up a good baseline of data before I experiment again with the pillows.
I have been feeling very tired and making some bonehead mistakes lately so I want my therapy to be effective right now.

My hypothesis is that the elastic strap has stretched, so my next test would be a new strap.
What would you test first?

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:07 pm

If you are talking about the elastic strap headgear on the nasal pillow mask being stretched out...it can sure cause some big leaks.
You might try washing it in really hot water to see if it will shrink. I have to do that with my P10 after a few months of use.

In terms of feeling crappy...if you are having a large number of leaks there's a good chance that leaks are disturbing sleep and when our sleep gets disturbed we feel like crap and don't function well.

If it were me I would work on wearing the mask that I liked the most because overall comfort is very important to me.
If I had a choice between a mask that I didn't particularly like but it gave me a decent leak rate
or a mask I really liked but the leak rate was bad...I would work on fixing the bad leak before I made the switch to a mask that I didn't particularly care for.
But that's me. My overall comfort is really important to my sleep quality...the best leak rate in the world is useless if a person doesn't sleep so great with a mask.

palerider

Post by palerider » Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:15 pm

Jack Burton wrote:
Pugsy wrote: Something isn't right if you get that much leak with the nasal pillow and don't have that much with the nasal cushion.
I typically use the large pillows because they are most comfortable but I did try the medium size and the results were not conclusive.
Now that I am using Sleepyhead I want to build up a good baseline of data before I experiment again with the pillows.
I have been feeling very tired and making some bonehead mistakes lately so I want my therapy to be effective right now.

My hypothesis is that the elastic strap has stretched, so my next test would be a new strap.
wash the strap in hot water, if it's a p10 mask.

I too use a p10 pillow mask and have pressures that hit 20, and low leaks. maybe you don't have the mask assembled properly, so it's leaking where the frame joins the pillows.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Jack Burton

Post by Jack Burton » Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:57 pm

palerider wrote:
Jack Burton wrote:

wash the strap in hot water, if it's a p10 mask.

I too use a p10 pillow mask and have pressures that hit 20, and low leaks. maybe you don't have the mask assembled properly, so it's leaking where the frame joins the pillows.
Yes its the p10.
I wash it every Monday in hot water with dish detergent.
The S9 has a mask leak test which shows a happy face but I will double check the frame/pillow connection.
My wife noticed the pillows leaking and woke me to fix it a few times.
It could be that I notice the mask leaking and adjust it but don't notice the pillows leaking so I don't adjust it.
I would guess that most of us adjust our masks and hoses semi-automatically.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Fri Feb 17, 2017 1:16 pm

How old is the headgear...the elastic part?
I found that after a while no amount of hot water washing could bring it back enough so it wouldn't leak like crazy.

Jack Burton

Post by Jack Burton » Fri Feb 17, 2017 1:17 pm

Pugsy wrote:How old is the headgear...the elastic part?
I found that after a while no amount of hot water washing could bring it back enough so it wouldn't leak like crazy.
~8 months.
I think I will get my wife to help me do the mask test laying down, maybe that will be revealing.

palerider

Post by palerider » Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:03 pm

Jack Burton wrote:Yes its the p10.
I wash it every Monday in hot water with dish detergent.
The S9 has a mask leak test which shows a happy face but I will double check the frame/pillow connection.
My wife noticed the pillows leaking and woke me to fix it a few times.
It could be that I notice the mask leaking and adjust it but don't notice the pillows leaking so I don't adjust it.
I would guess that most of us adjust our masks and hoses semi-automatically.
the elastic is the part that wears out first for me, I'm still using the same frame, and pillows that I got almost three years ago... I'm still waiting to use one of these spare pillows I got. I swapped in a brand new one recently, it made no difference in the leaks, or feel, so i went back to the original one, I just want to see how long it'll last.

I am on my second or third headgear though.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Jack Burton

Post by Jack Burton » Sat Feb 18, 2017 11:13 am

Tried the pillows again last night.

The machine did not turn off even though smart start is enabled.

In broad strokes the leak rate is less for the pillows than for the mask.
However I did have 2x 5 minute large leaks as opposed to none with the mask.
I feel less foggy today.
I think I will stay with the pillows for the rest of the month unless something comes up.