Sore IN nose that won't go away!!

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
skicheer12

Post by skicheer12 » Sat Sep 02, 2006 4:21 pm

Is there a way to prevent the sores from nasal pillows? padding or something in the nose or around the pillow???

Thank you

apneaicinisrael

Post by apneaicinisrael » Sun Sep 03, 2006 1:16 am

I think we have two parallel discussions going here, 1: I already have a bad sore and it won't go away; and 2: my nasal pillows irritate me and cause sores but nothing seems "infected" yet...

I have been in both scenarios (though since changing to the CL-2 I've had happy nares). For the real bad painful won't go away sore, I think the best bet is prescription "nasal muciprocin", also called Bactroban or Bactoderm. You need to get the nasal formulation, though, to put it inside the nose. It is IMHO the best antibiotic ointment for a real sore.

Prevention or treatment of the milder sores, well, that is a discussion line in and of itself. Vaseline has lots of supporters, and also lots of people who have what to say against it. Personally, I am a supporter. Many other creams have been mentioned on the forum, maybe someone can recall a list of the options?

Good luck, and treat that nose. It is really unpleasant to have a sore.

AII

bdp522

Post by bdp522 » Sun Sep 03, 2006 7:17 am

Chapstick prevented the soreness for me. It also seemed to help the pillows seal a bit better.

Brenda

SusieQQ

Re: Nose sore

Post by SusieQQ » Wed Sep 15, 2010 2:08 pm

yieldstowe@aol wrote:I have had a sore in my nose for over a month now. It just won't heal. I've used neosporin, vaseline, regular lotion , peroxide. I've written down these items posted and will try these. Boy, it hurts, I can't even touch the outside of my nose without tearing up. Its not a pimple. Its raw skin inside and it bleeds and hurts. I have no idea what its from.

use chapstick! it works for me

Re: Sore IN nose that won't go away!!

Post by Guest » Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:06 pm

********* Here ya go went through this for 3 years on and off... cant believe no where on the net anyone gave this simple answer.. Im sure theres LOTS of you out there wondering wtf is going on.

ok first... VACUMME your home, DUST, and buy a AIR PURIFIER. I bought a True Air unit.. takes just ONE filter that is cleanable no replacement bs.. so this unit is pricey but in the long run it wont be an additional $40 every year for a new filter.. You just vacumme this one.

Next.. if anyone has painted recently.. this will dry your sinuses.

Ok... now the drumroll.... ready?? i bet your just thinkin about puttin your finger in your nose I know its fkn annoying...

********************************* SECARIS!!!! $3 at drugstore.. thats it folks! back to a normal life.
Squeeze a dab on a qtip.. swipe your painful area in your nose.. hell do the whole nostril first time.. just a small bead on the qtip. Will immediately feel like its workin. Keep doing it whenever you feel your nostrils get dry again.. but for me.. not even 2 applications in the first day. All the pain gone..

SECARIS!!!

Post by Guest » Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:07 pm

********* Here ya go went through this for 3 years on and off... cant believe no where on the net anyone gave this simple answer.. Im sure theres LOTS of you out there wondering wtf is going on.

ok first... VACUMME your home, DUST, and buy a AIR PURIFIER. I bought a True Air unit.. takes just ONE filter that is cleanable no replacement bs.. so this unit is pricey but in the long run it wont be an additional $40 every year for a new filter.. You just vacumme this one.

Next.. if anyone has painted recently.. this will dry your sinuses.

Ok... now the drumroll.... ready?? i bet your just thinkin about puttin your finger in your nose I know its fkn annoying...

********************************* SECARIS!!!! $3 at drugstore.. thats it folks! back to a normal life.
Squeeze a dab on a qtip.. swipe your painful area in your nose.. hell do the whole nostril first time.. just a small bead on the qtip. Will immediately feel like its workin. Keep doing it whenever you feel your nostrils get dry again.. but for me.. not even 2 applications in the first day. All the pain gone..

SECARIS!!!

jdm2857

Post by jdm2857 » Wed Oct 27, 2010 12:35 am

First, I'll warn you that what I am about to describe violates the warning on the product label. But despite that, I have found that liquid bandage works well on nasal sores. I tried it in desperation one night when a sore made using the nasal pillows (only type of mask I have that works) very uncomfortable. Dried the area, applied a small amount of the liquid, put up with the stinging sensation for a few seconds, and I was good to go. Using the pillows was painless. And the sore healed quickly. The liquid bandage contains acetone (which is a VOC) and nitrocellulose, which is the main ingredient in furniture lacquer.

The label warning is against using the liquid bandage on mucous membranes. Try at your own risk.
jeff

Slinky

Post by Slinky » Wed Oct 27, 2010 5:54 am

Ayr Saline Nasal Gel applied sparingly. It will help heal quickly AND it also toughens up the nasal membranes to prevent the chapping caused by the air pressure. Nasal pillows commonly cause chapping of the nasal membranes when someone uses them at first. The chapping can also be caused by no humidification or passover humidification for some people.

My computer says I need to upgrade my brain to be compatible with its new software.

amomslove

Post by amomslove » Mon Nov 08, 2010 3:45 pm

Ellen, do you place the non petro jelly on every night before you put your mask on?

Jersey Girl

Post by Jersey Girl » Mon Nov 08, 2010 3:53 pm

Dear Slinky,

I agree with you. I use just a tiny dab of AYR nasal gel and it sooths my nostrils right away. Very comfy!

Best regards,

Jersey Girl

Happiness is from the heart out, not the world in.

DannyPh

Post by DannyPh » Mon Nov 08, 2010 7:42 pm

When my nose was Irritated and sore I used Bacitracin oinment in the nose with No adverse effects. Bacitracin is also good for nose bleeds--speeds up the Healing Process.

stevesgrl98

Post by stevesgrl98 » Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:31 am

linda b wrote:I've had a sore in one side of my nose for quite some time now. Every night, in spite of using a heated humidifier, "gunk' dries on and around the little scab on this sore. I just have to get rid of this 'gunk' and in the process usually pull off the scab, making the sore bleed again. During the day it scabs up and then along comes another night and ...well, the process repeats itself.

My question is, does anyone know of a healing ointment or cream or something that I can safely apply to this spot inside my nose to keep it moist so it doesn't irritate me so much and that will promote faster healing?
I use A & D ointment. Just a dab. It keeps it moist and not so sore.
Hope that helps.
Shannon

Gerald?

Post by Gerald? » Wed Nov 10, 2010 4:24 pm

When I first started with Nasal pillows I used Nozoil. It's specifically designed for CPAP and oxygen users.

http://www.enttech.com.au/prod_nozoil.shtml

It is an Australian product, but I'm sure you would be able to get it in the US somewhere.

Once my nose got used to pillows I have not had to use it but it was great while I needed it.

jim2

Post by jim2 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 5:43 pm

Pick the hell outta it. If it takes pulling the scab off over and over again. More likely it's a wart and not a scab. Keep taking the layer off then put rubbing alcohol on a g-tip and dab it on after each layer comes off. Eventually, the wart will go away. Always let the wart layer develop before ripping it off and repeating process. WARTS!!! That's what they are.

SMfL

Post by SMfL » Sun Sep 18, 2011 3:28 pm

I recently had this problem, and after a month of putting Neosporin and hydrogen peroxide on the sore, I got fed up and went to the doctor. The sore turned out to be a STAPH INFECTION, and I am now using a special ointment and am taking antibiotics. When I first read this blog, I did not see any mention of staph, and so I didn't worry about my sore initially. I want future readers to see that a sore in the nose that won't heal is from a staph infection and that they should see a doctor as soon as possible.