Have not used my machine in almost 2 years....

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
cowboy90

Have not used my machine in almost 2 years....

Post by cowboy90 » Fri Jan 27, 2017 6:58 am

New to the group.

I stopped using my Resmed S9 almost 2 years ago. I know this was a terrible decision. I've had some sleep issues the last few weeks and I know I need to get back on my machine. My question is... do I just need to give my machine, tubing, etc.. a good cleaning before using? Thanks in advance.

Pugsy

Re: Have not used my machine in almost 2 years....

Post by Pugsy » Fri Jan 27, 2017 8:15 am

Yeah..a good cleaning is all that is needed. Wipe any dust off the machine with damp cloth. Give the water chamber and hose a bath.
I would put in a new filter even though it might not be technically needed. I would just feel better starting with fresh filter.

The only thing I might worry about would be the mask. Once a mask is out of the package the silicone starts to degrade and the mask silicone might be a bit brittle or less flexible. So might not be as comfortable or seal as well. Depends a lot on the mask type and how you stored it.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

cowboy90

Post by cowboy90 » Fri Jan 27, 2017 8:29 am

Thanks for responding

I have the nasal pillows. I believe they have been in the travel bag.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Fri Jan 27, 2017 8:31 am

The nasal pillows should be fine but it wouldn't hurt to put on a new one if you happen to have one.
If you don't have one...which nasal pillow mask and what size nasal pillow?

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

palerider

Post by palerider » Fri Jan 27, 2017 10:50 pm

get a spare of everything.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

cowboy90

Post by cowboy90 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:15 am

I've been using my original nasal pillows/ tubing, etc... The only thing I originally bought extra of was air filters when I originally purchased my machine a few years back. I've noticed that it's common to change some of this stuff out pretty frequently. My question is do most of you order your masks/nasal pillows online somewhere or do you go to a nearby store. How often do you change out the tubing and the head straps? Sorry for all the dumb questions.

D.H.

Post by D.H. » Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:04 am

cowboy90 wrote:I've been using my original nasal pillows/ tubing, etc... The only thing I originally bought extra of was air filters when I originally purchased my machine a few years back. I've noticed that it's common to change some of this stuff out pretty frequently. My question is do most of you order your masks/nasal pillows online somewhere or do you go to a nearby store. How often do you change out the tubing and the head straps? Sorry for all the dumb questions.
Many who post on this forum don't replace things until they break, get brittle/dirty/discolored, or just stop working. I do recommend replacing the mask after six months, but even that's probably not critical. My sleep doc says to replace stuff as often as the insurance will pay for it, but I haven't been doing that.

Julie

Post by Julie » Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:07 am

Hoses can last decades. Really!

Change the filter, dust the machine (tho' it probably wouldn't matter if you didn't) and check the pillows.

palerider

Post by palerider » Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:33 pm

cowboy90 wrote:I've been using my original nasal pillows/ tubing, etc... The only thing I originally bought extra of was air filters when I originally purchased my machine a few years back. I've noticed that it's common to change some of this stuff out pretty frequently. My question is do most of you order your masks/nasal pillows online somewhere or do you go to a nearby store. How often do you change out the tubing and the head straps? Sorry for all the dumb questions.
*sigh* does nobody read before posting?

WHEN THE STUFF WEARS OUT. it's wasteful to change it more often, and it just lines the pockets of whoever you're buying stuff needlessly from.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

cowboy90

Post by cowboy90 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:02 pm

I guess my question was really if insurance says I can get new supplies every x every months, what is the easiest way to go about getting them.

I will probably need to replace nasal pillows in the next few weeks. If I were to order online do I just pay out of pocket?

OkyDoky

Post by OkyDoky » Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:06 pm

cowboy90 wrote:I guess my question was really if insurance says I can get new supplies every x every months, what is the easiest way to go about getting them.

I will probably need to replace nasal pillows in the next few weeks. If I were to order online do I just pay out of pocket?
Talk with your insurance. Usually they don't pay for online orders, because they have their own approved DME's that they contract with, but some might. Insurance controls where you can buy and who they pay. Every policy is different so you have to get your answers from them.
ResMed Aircurve 10 VAUTO EPAP 11 IPAP 15 / P10 pillows mask / Sleepyhead Software / Back up & travel machine Respironics 760

palerider

Post by palerider » Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:12 pm

OkyDoky wrote:
cowboy90 wrote:I guess my question was really if insurance says I can get new supplies every x every months, what is the easiest way to go about getting them.

Talk with your insurance. Usually they don't pay for online orders, because they have their own approved DME's that they contract with, but some might. Insurance controls where you can buy and who they pay. Every policy is different so you have to get your answers from them.
or, buy them out of pocket, and don't scrub the silicone to death... most people that I've talked to that have to replace mask parts often are vigorous cleaners.

cowboy90

Post by cowboy90 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:34 am

Thanks for all your help.

One last question. How often do you check in with your sleep dr.? Are following up sleep studies just needed when issues occur? Just curious if I should try and get in and make sure my settings are accurate.

bonjour

Post by bonjour » Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:42 am

Post your Sleepyhead graphs here, we will be able to tell you if your treatment is effective. In general we will be able to see if you need your Doctors intervention. This is not meant to discourage you from seeing your Dr.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:45 am

Doctor visits are most useful when you are having trouble. They are essential if needed for insurance.
Otherwise, you are paying greens fees just to sit in a waiting room next to people coughing tbeir lungs out.