Husband starting PAP therapy, machine suggestions?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
magentapolkadots

Husband starting PAP therapy, machine suggestions?

Post by magentapolkadots » Wed Jan 25, 2017 10:56 am

My husband finally agreed to a sleep study! Have to let that sink in, I am just so happy that he took the plunge

It was a home study done over 3 nights last week. We do not have results yet, but I will be SHOCKED if he doesn't have OSA. The last time I replaced my machine, the S9 and the PR S1 were the newest on the market. Now I see there is a DreamStation and an AirSense. I know that newer is not always better, so I'm asking for y'alls help. (I've purposely limited my query to ResMed & Respironics because I have already owned/used and have software for their biPAPs and am hoping to keep hubby's machine in one of those families.) I am trying hard to be ready when it is time to sit down with the DME.

Also worth mentioning is that I plan to lobby for an APAP. Even if we run it in CPAP mode, I'd like to have the option if he needs it.

I would appreciate any feedback on preferences, nuances, algorithm differences, bugs/quirks (even if it seems insignificant) that any of you have regarding the following machines:
AirSense 10 Autoset
S9 Autoset
DreamStation Auto
PR S1 60series Auto

My example of a seemingly insignificant detail has to do with filter placement/does it have a cover? I have to remove the filters from my PR S1 every morning because my cat takes great pleasure in removing them from the machine and shredding them if I ever forget and leave them in there.

Also, will Sleepyhead allow us to track 2 different users??

Any pointers, links, advice, whatever that y'all can share would be appreciated. Trying hard to get my ducks in a row quickly.
Many thanks!

Pugsy

Re: Husband starting PAP therapy, machine suggestions?

Post by Pugsy » Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:25 am

magentapolkadots wrote:Also, will Sleepyhead allow us to track 2 different users??
Yes..easily. You just create a new user profile for him. Just remember to change users with SD cards.

I haven't seen the latest and greatest in the ResMed and Respironics line so I can't really compare those but the algorithms didn't change except the ResMed added the "for her" special apap mode only in the AirSense 10 AutoSet for her.
So in general how either brand went about doing its job never really changed but what they offer is maybe a change in data available (like the ResMed now flags CSR breathing if it happens) and of course new packaging.
Some minor differences in the settings available...like Smart ramp or not which I don't know how big of a deal that really is.

I would further target the latest and greatest models in either brand unless you are paying out of pocket and money is a big consideration. If insurance is paying...get the latest and greatest of whichever brand you decide you want.

I don't know if the ResMed AirSense has a cover for the filter...but the S9 does.
The manual might show it.
https://sleep.tnet.com/home/files/resme ... -guide.pdf
Without knowing what pressure will be ultimately used...I lean toward recommending the ResMed because I think that at higher pressures the EPR exhale relief might be a little better in terms of comfort. Just a little better...I have used both brands and Respironics AFlex is still pretty sweet.

I think that the DreamStation comes already heated hose capable...the PR S1 60 series you had to have a special lid to the humidifier and special power brick.
ResMeds...both the S9 and AirSense are heated hose capable without anything special other than the heated hose.

Is insurance involved or are you paying for it out of pocket?

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

magentapolkadots

Post by magentapolkadots » Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:38 am

Our insurance pays 100% for DME, no deductible, no out of pocket whatsoever.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:46 am

Target the latest and greatest models since insurance is paying.

While the changes with the latest and greatest might be minor (since the algorithms didn't change) they are still changes and for the better and some features are a definite plus and might end up really helping.

It may come down to whatever brand your DME happens to keep in stock. Not all will keep multiple brands in stock.
I still lean towards ResMed.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

OkyDoky

Post by OkyDoky » Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:53 am

magentapolkadots wrote:
I would go for the Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset For Her and have the 3rd mode if needed. And it has a filter cover.

Now if you were going to use battery power for camping or be off the grid, I would look at the Respironics. You can use ResMed's converter with battery power but it is just a little easier with Respironics being 12 volt and ResMeds being 24 volt.
Last edited by OkyDoky on Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
ResMed Aircurve 10 VAUTO EPAP 11 IPAP 15 / P10 pillows mask / Sleepyhead Software / Back up & travel machine Respironics 760

magentapolkadots

Post by magentapolkadots » Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:56 am

I still lean towards ResMed.
I personally lean towards Respironics but only because of aerophagia issues. Their machine manages to keep me at lower pressures while still keeping things under control which means I fill up with air far less often then I used to. On the other hand, the cat couldn't get to the filter on my old ResMed S8 and the carrying case was FAR superior to the flimsy thing that came with my PR S1.

Thank you Pugsy, appreciate your thoughts very much.

magentapolkadots

Post by magentapolkadots » Wed Jan 25, 2017 3:05 pm

OkyDoky wrote:
magentapolkadots wrote:
I would go for the Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset For Her and have the 3rd mode if needed. And it has a filter cover.

Now if you were going to use battery power for camping or be off the grid, I would look at the Respironics. You can use ResMed's converter with battery power but it is just a little easier with Respironics being 12 volt and ResMeds being 24 volt.
I like your thinking OkyDoky, I like options. I think the hubby would prefer the black machine to the white/gray, but if I could get him to overlook that part... Thank you for the suggestion.

Looking at all of these machines makes me want to get a new one too even though mine does its job perfectly.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Wed Jan 25, 2017 3:13 pm

magentapolkadots wrote:Looking at all of these machines makes me want to get a new one too even though mine does its job perfectly.
That's what I call "new machine envy". I have it myself. I get it every time a new model line in machines gets released. Even though I know my current machine is working quite nicely I just can't help but wonder "what if"...like what if it is quieter and what if I like it better or what if I sleep better with it.

I have also wanted to test out the "for Her" algorithm just to see what the difference feels like but so far I haven't wanted to test it out bad enough to spend the money.

magentapolkadots

Post by magentapolkadots » Wed Jan 25, 2017 3:28 pm

Pugsy wrote:
magentapolkadots wrote:Looking at all of these machines makes me want to get a new one too even though mine does its job perfectly.

I have also wanted to test out the "for Her" algorithm just to see what the difference feels like but so far I haven't wanted to test it out bad enough to spend the money.
No kidding! After reading about the "for her" I thought the same thing. Sadly there are no "for her" products in the auto adjusting bipap arena. Probably a good thing, no need to spend money on stuff I don't need, especially not expensive stuff.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Wed Jan 25, 2017 3:38 pm

Well if it is any consolation to you the "for Her" algorithm is supposed to be a kinder gentler algorithm and not as aggressive so if a person needs a bilevel machine...kinder gentler probably won't work so great anyway.

klv329

Post by klv329 » Wed Jan 25, 2017 8:10 pm

Aircurve 10 ASV vs, the S9 Adapt? I'm hoping whatever comes after the Aircurve line is a real improvement.

I guess if I really had to take one or the other, I'd choose the S9 Adapt -- works great, parts everywhere, not as complicated, seems sturdier, works with the humidifier detached without the need for an extra part, detachable modem most don't need anyway...

I'm ready for the Aircurve line to go away, and maybe the next line will just be improved computer processors on the old S9 line with additional information features.

Not sure about the Airense10 Autoset vs. the S9 Autoset, though.

JOEPAP

Post by JOEPAP » Mon Jan 30, 2017 5:23 pm

First of all you have to find out what he really needs. CPAP or BIPAP. Also there are Auto and non auto. If he only needs a CPAP I suggest an Resmed Autosense 10. with a heated hose and also is he a mouth breather or nose breather. If he is a mouth breather get the the Resmed Airfit F20 Mask. He needs to get the right size, small. medium or large. Don't get the Mirage Quatro. nice mask but heavy and cumbersome. If he needs a Bipap, the Autocurve 10 Vauto. This is the cadilac of the BIpap and run about $1700 to $1800. If you need one I have one for sale with only 4 hour usage and willing to sell it for half price. Non-smoking home. Brand new and excellent condition. Don't need it any more. Lost weight and got off it. Joseph

OkyDoky

Post by OkyDoky » Mon Jan 30, 2017 5:41 pm

JOEPAP wrote: If you need one I have one for sale with only 4 hour usage. Don't need it any more. Lost weight and got off it. Joseph
With 4 hour usage it looks like you were never on it.
ResMed Aircurve 10 VAUTO EPAP 11 IPAP 15 / P10 pillows mask / Sleepyhead Software / Back up & travel machine Respironics 760

palerider

Post by palerider » Mon Jan 30, 2017 7:13 pm

JOEPAP wrote: I suggest an Resmed Autosense 10.
there's no such thing.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

MrGrumpy

Post by MrGrumpy » Mon Jan 30, 2017 7:26 pm

I'd choose a plain old but higher end CPAP machine if I had to go back to the very very beginning and do it all over again. Either a Resmed or a Phillips and Respironics CPAP. The Resmeds have the smallest adjustments and are usually the most "dead on" correct pressure, sometimes they are off by a .1 or .2 or even .3 centimeter of water. But compare that to the others that only have .5 centimeters of water increment adjustments!

Resmed makes the best masks.

Hell, get a Resmed S10 CPAP, skip the autopap dont listen to the people here. Staight CPAP is simpler, once youve adjusted to it they are easier to tolerate long term, they are cheaper. Straight CPAP BLOCKS most events from ever occurring...thats what you want not the other way around. Dont listen to the "get an Autopap they adjust super fast at chasing apneas." No they dont, its not fast enough.

Resmed CPAP. Or Phillips and Respironics CPAP. You cant go wrong with either.
Id be dead by now if I didn't use my CPAP gear every night.