Husband starting PAP therapy, machine suggestions?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
MrGrumpy

Re: Husband starting PAP therapy, machine suggestions?

Post by MrGrumpy » Mon Jan 30, 2017 7:27 pm

I'd choose a plain old but higher end CPAP machine if I had to go back to the very very beginning and do it all over again. Either a Resmed or a Phillips and Respironics CPAP. The Resmeds have the smallest adjustments and are usually the most "dead on" correct pressure, sometimes they are off by a .1 or .2 or even .3 centimeter of water. But compare that to the others that only have .5 centimeters of water increment adjustments!

Resmed makes the best masks.

Hell, get a Resmed S10 CPAP, skip the autopap dont listen to the people here. Staight CPAP is simpler, once youve adjusted to it they are easier to tolerate long term, they are cheaper. Straight CPAP BLOCKS most events from ever occurring...thats what you want not the other way around. Dont listen to the "get an Autopap they adjust super fast at chasing apneas." No they dont, its not fast enough.

Resmed CPAP. Or Phillips and Respironics CPAP. You cant go wrong with either.
Id be dead by now if I didn't use my CPAP gear every night.

OkyDoky

Post by OkyDoky » Mon Jan 30, 2017 7:35 pm

MrGrumpy wrote: Hell, get a Resmed S10 CPAP, skip the autopap dont listen to the people here.
So you are recommending a machine without full data for a new user?
ResMed Aircurve 10 VAUTO EPAP 11 IPAP 15 / P10 pillows mask / Sleepyhead Software / Back up & travel machine Respironics 760

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Mon Jan 30, 2017 7:37 pm

Ignore McGrumpy's "advice"...it's the most ridiculous yet and I thought I had seen everything from him.
It's no wonder he hasn't been able to achieve successful therapy and is looking at alternatives.
He's best just ignored.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

MrGrumpy

Post by MrGrumpy » Mon Jan 30, 2017 7:41 pm

The Resmed S10 CPAPs have all the data you need. They provide AHI, leak rates and compliance. You dont need all that "full data" stuff unless you have complicated problems such as CPAP incompliance or need a Bipap or something.

Straight CPAP that tells your AHI and leak rate is all you need, so long as the tech got your CPAP pressure correct in your titration study. They got mine down perfect, stone cold perfect.

Yes, get a CPAP without all that data crap you guys talk about. Its not needed. The doctors dont look at it, all they look at is your AHI, your leak rates, your compliance rates. I know this from firsthand experience. THEY DONT GIVE A FLIP ABOUT FULL DATA CAPABILITY. All that matters is you are able to use the stupid thing nightly and your AHI is low and you wake up refreshed and dont have fatigue during the day. Thats it.
OkyDoky wrote:
MrGrumpy wrote: Hell, get a Resmed S10 CPAP, skip the autopap dont listen to the people here.

MrGrumpy

Post by MrGrumpy » Mon Jan 30, 2017 7:42 pm

Not true I had quite successful therapy for seven years, more successful than most here. Lately, not. But that does not mean I dont know a lot about CPAP.
Pugsy wrote:Ignore McGrumpy's "advice"...it's the most ridiculous yet and I thought I had seen everything from him.
It's no wonder he hasn't been able to achieve successful therapy and is looking at alternatives.
He's best just ignored.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Mon Jan 30, 2017 7:50 pm

MrGrumpy wrote:But that does not mean I dont know a lot about CPAP.
You don't know squat and you are dangerous to newbies (and anyone else paying attention to your crap advice).

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

palerider

Post by palerider » Mon Jan 30, 2017 11:14 pm

OkyDoky wrote:
moronic advice from... well... it speaks for itself.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

JimW159

Post by JimW159 » Mon Jan 30, 2017 11:35 pm

MrGrumpy wrote:Not true I had quite successful therapy for seven years, more successful than most here. Lately, not. But that does not mean I dont know a lot about CPAP.
Given your ability to squeeze knowledge from a no-data stone (or brick, if you will), to what do you attribute this change? What characteristics in your therapeutic modality or your physiology has brought this to be?

magentapolkadots

Post by magentapolkadots » Mon Jan 30, 2017 11:46 pm

He will definitely have a machine with full data capabilities. Whether or not the sleep doc wants that info is irrelevant. My therapy has hummed along seamlessly for as long as 18 months at a time. But when I hit a bump in the road, having all that data has been the key to getting past it. No sense arguing that point with someone who doesn't (and apparently will never) agree. Just felt like I wanted to say it out loud in case anyone worried that I'd take the advice to get a compliance only machine.
That said, I did ask for any and all suggestions so I will at least offer mrgrumpy a thank you for his thoughts. I appreciate all the suggestions (except the guy trying to to sell me his bipap- must have missed the insurance pays 100% part).

We are still waiting for the results of the study which is making me crazy. Once we have those and get to titration I'll update to let y'all know. I cannot say enough how thankful I am for this board. Muchos gracias!

palerider

Post by palerider » Mon Jan 30, 2017 11:51 pm

JimW159 wrote:
MrGrumpy wrote:Not true I had quite successful therapy for seven years, more successful than most here. Lately, not. But that does not mean I dont know a lot about CPAP.
Given your ability to squeeze knowledge from a no-data stone (or brick, if you will), to what do you attribute this change? What characteristics in your therapeutic modality or your physiology has brought this to be?
yeah, well, first rule of thumb, don't take advice from someone who can't even manage their own therapy.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

magentapolkadots

Post by magentapolkadots » Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:53 am

Time for an update along with a new question.

Hubby gets his new machine today. Insurance wants an at home titration with an APAP rather than a sleep lab titration. I' am fine with that, and if I'm fine he says he's fine because he knows I'll help him if he runs into trouble. We've decided to go with the DreamStation Auto.

After speaking on the phone with the DME, I worry about their trustworthiness. This is where my question comes in. They told me on the phone that they will be setting him up with a DreamStation Auto this afternoon.

Is there a quick and easy way to identify a DreamStation Auto and make sure it is not the DreamStation Pro?

I cannot see an obvious difference in the pictures online.

Many thanks again y'all. Much appreciated

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:04 am

Yep, quick easy way to tell the machines apart.

the model name is usually shown but if unsure you can turn the blower over and look for the model number
DSX500xxx is the APAP
DSX400xxx is the Pro

the xxx are letters that denote the package contents like humidifier or heated hose so they don't mean much
the main thing to look at is the 400 or 500

magentapolkadots

Post by magentapolkadots » Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:10 am

Thanks Pugsy. I knew it would be on the machine somewhere (probably on the back or the bottom). Just didn't know what to look for.

Muchos gracias!

palerider

Post by palerider » Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:11 pm

magentapolkadots wrote:Thanks Pugsy. I knew it would be on the machine somewhere (probably on the back or the bottom). Just didn't know what to look for.

Muchos gracias!
it's on the bottom, and I think it also says "Dreamstation Pro" or "Dreamstation Auto", but the REF number Pugsy mentioned will definitely be there.

magentapolkadots

Post by magentapolkadots » Sat Feb 18, 2017 10:03 am

Well, he made it through his first night of PAP therapy and kept the mask on all night! YAY!

He said other than getting used to "the thing on my face" it was comfortable and didn't bother him at all. He picked the DreamWear Nasal CPAP Mask because he liked how the hose was on top of the head. He slept ALL NIGHT without one single bathroom visit for the first time in years. Hallelujah!

I could not get his data to import into sleepyhead for some reason. I kept getting an error message that there was no relevant data on the card. So the only info I have for his night is what the DreamStation Auto showed on the screen. His 90% pressure was 9 and his AHI was 13.1, and he got 8.9 hours of therapy. I can't believe he slept as well as he did with that AHI, but it must have been a vast improvement over his sleep study AHI. We still do not have a copy of the sleep study (his doctor is very slow, still uses paper, noting digital).

The machine is set with a minimum of 5 and a max of 20. The Opti-Start feature should start him closer to his 90% pressure tonight (if it does what it says it will do). I will be out of town the next 2 nights, so will see how things look when I return. If the opti-start doesn't already have him starting closer to his 90% pressure and his AHI is still so high when I get home, then I will get in there and make some adjustments myself.

I need to figure out why sleepyhead can't read the card, but that too will have to wait until I am home.