Dry mouth

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
John Scafidi

Dry mouth

Post by John Scafidi » Tue Jan 24, 2017 10:34 pm

I always wake up with severe dry mouth have tried every setting with humidifier using cold air hot air a chin strap nothing seems to help do you have any suggestions

Greekjim

Re: Dry mouth

Post by Greekjim » Tue Jan 24, 2017 10:49 pm

Try xylimelts

palerider

Post by palerider » Tue Jan 24, 2017 11:06 pm

tape your mouth shut.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

REDHEADED LIL

Post by REDHEADED LIL » Wed Jan 25, 2017 2:18 am

Try a soft collar from Walmart bought on line & xylimelts..worked for me & I am a mouth breather.

sleepychar

Post by sleepychar » Wed Jan 25, 2017 2:33 pm

What kind of mask are you currently using?
Previously AirFit P10 for Her mask

hillbilly1979

Post by hillbilly1979 » Wed Jan 25, 2017 2:41 pm

I had this problem with both full face masks and total face masks. It was much better with total face masks, but my therapy suffered. Moving to a nasal pillow has removed this issue for me as I use a chinstrap to keep my mouth closed.

Additional Comments: Prescribed pressure 15. I use SleepyHead software
Machine: PR System One Auto CPAP
http://www.geekzweb.com

avi123

Post by avi123 » Wed Jan 25, 2017 5:12 pm

Not from CPAP:

The two main symptoms of Sjogren's syndrome are:
•Dry eyes. Your eyes may burn, itch or feel gritty — as if there's sand in them.
•Dry mouth. Your mouth may feel like it's full of cotton, making it difficult to swallow or speak.

Jackiep

Post by Jackiep » Wed Jan 25, 2017 9:07 pm

I agree with Paleriders suggestion "tape your mouth" ....it works for me. I use 1/2 to 3/4 inch tape ( 3M Micropore paper tape)... I tape from upper lip to under chin. I is important also to practice proper tongue placement..tip behind front teeth and tongue against upper palate (create suction). This all helps prevent mouth leaking and mouth breathing. Good luck !

abigailrivers

Post by abigailrivers » Thu Jan 26, 2017 1:06 pm

I have the same dry-mouth problem. Last night I kept waking up because air was leaking out of my mouth (I use a nasal pillows mask). I've decided to try mouth-taping rather than a chin strap, because after what I've read, it seems like chin straps could exacerbate breathing problems, and that they tend to stretch out of shape quickly in any case.

Jackiep

Post by Jackiep » Thu Jan 26, 2017 5:58 pm

Hi abigailrivers....just want to tell you that I too had huge mouth leaks..chin strap didn't help ...I began with taping using 3" wide 3M Micropore tape ...taping across ...it was pretty drastic but it worked...I continued practising proper tongue placement. Now several months later I have graduated to strips of the tape about 3/4 inch wide taping upper lip to under chin. I turn both ends over about 1/8 inch for easy removal...I sort of purse my lips when applying the tape. I have tried going without the tape but not working for me as yet. This is relatively comfortable and does the job !