CPAP mask with built-in chin strap?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
MamaBear2016

CPAP mask with built-in chin strap?

Post by MamaBear2016 » Mon Jan 23, 2017 6:07 pm

Hi everybody,

I've been using an auto-CPAP for maybe 4-5 years now, and finally settled on an over-the-nose mask, which is the most comfortable and transparent mask for me - an F&P Eson 400451.

The remaining problem is that eventually, my mouth blows open and dries out, waking me up in the process, which is of course counter productive.

So I've been thinking of something exactly like this mask, with a built in chin strap that would hold my mouth closed. Finally I could get the ideal sleep with this system.

So I asked my Dr. for a Rx for a mask with a chin strap.

We're kind of stuck with Apria here, and IMO they have gone down the drain in recent years. So instead of calling me for an appointment to come into their local office and meet with a respiratory therapist, to work this out, they called to tell me that they just shipped a mask and a separate chin strap. Now it took me a long time to get used to this rig. I cant even imagine having to strap on two rigs when I'm already starting to fall asleep and don't want to get all aggravated struggling with two instead of just the one.

Doesn't anyone make an over-the-nose mask like this F&P Eson 400451, but with a built-in chin strap?

Thanks!

LSAT

Re: CPAP mask with built-in chin strap?

Post by LSAT » Mon Jan 23, 2017 6:12 pm

Why drive yourself crazy,,,Use a FF Mask.

Post by Guest » Mon Jan 23, 2017 6:22 pm

MamaBear2016 wrote:We're kind of stuck with Apria here, and IMO they have gone down the drain in recent years.
This is nothing new, it is just getting worse. btw - Do NOT give Apria your credit card.
MamaBear2016 wrote:they called to tell me that they just shipped a mask and a separate chin strap.
Do you have time to just do a walk-in with the unopened supplies you don't want? Ask them for a mask fitting at that time. But beware if the don't have a place to lay down to try the masks on in your sleeping position at your cpap pressure.

If they can't or won't do it most sleep labs do and will bc there is a billable code. But you will need an appt at the lab. Many times they will let you go home with one or more to use.

Hopefully, you are already aware of the 30 day mask return policy offered by the mask mfg.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Mon Jan 23, 2017 6:26 pm

I don't know of any cpap mask that has a built in chin strap.
Now some of the full face masks have a bit of a cup at the chin that might help support the chin/jaw but none are really designed to function as a full fledged chin strap.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

sleeepy

Post by sleeepy » Mon Jan 23, 2017 7:07 pm

MamaBear2016 wrote:with a built-in chin strap?
Many here will tape until they have retrained themselves to keep things closed up when sleeping.
Or you can try one of the many other ways people have used to retrain -
sleep with a sports mouth guard in
use an ace bandage for a makeshift chin strap
there is a barrel keg type thing similar to what a St Bernard might have
just hold a pillow under your chin
use Netipot nasal rinse b4 bed to ensure you can breath thru your nose
etc.
use the search bar at the top of the page to find other ideas.

avi123

Post by avi123 » Mon Jan 23, 2017 8:53 pm

Can you describe how would you attach a chin strap to this nasal mask? If you attach a chinstrap to a head strap of the mask then the mask would be pulled down.

snoozysue

Post by snoozysue » Wed Jan 25, 2017 2:22 pm

I use a full face mask so I can't relate to what happens to you but I wonder if this would help

http://www.padacheek.com/PAC_MaskStabilizer.html

hillbilly1979

Post by hillbilly1979 » Wed Jan 25, 2017 2:46 pm

Ruby chinstrap has been a lifesaver for me. It is easy to put on along with my nasal pillow mask. I really don't feel like it is any more hassle. It certainly is more comfortable than my old FFMs.

Additional Comments: Prescribed pressure 15. I use SleepyHead software
Machine: PR System One Auto CPAP
http://www.geekzweb.com

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Wed Jan 25, 2017 2:55 pm

There is also the Papcap headgear and chinstrap system.
One device, both functions.
Much more comfortable than it looks, as it is not stretchy, sweaty neoprene.

JimW159

Post by JimW159 » Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:51 pm

MamaBear2016 wrote:
Doesn't anyone make an over-the-nose mask like this F&P Eson 400451, but with a built-in chin strap?
The closest things I can think of are:
!) Optilife Nasal Pillow and CradleCushion CPAP Mask (not a nasal, but a nasal pillow) Check https://www.cpap.com/productpage/respir ... dgear.html)
2) Hybrid Full Face CPAP Mask (also not a nasal mask, but a hybrid nasal pillow/oral mask with the oral component featuring a silicone chin cup) See https://www.cpap.com/productpage/RespCa ... -Mask.html

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Fri Jan 27, 2017 8:43 am

!) Optilife Nasal Pillow and CradleCushion CPAP Mask
I have used the Optilife. It was my mask used during the titration and I used it for a short time at home when I first got my machine.
The headgear does include the chin but it was there more for the nasal stability than it was for chin support of the magnitude needed to hold the jaw closed. It might work if a person only needed very minor support to keep the jaw closed.

I thought about mentioning it but it didn't stop my mouth opening at all and I ended up taping for a short period of time...I also tried various other real chin straps but found taping suited my needs the best.
That Optilife chin strap just doesn't support the chin all that much. It looks like it does but in real life it doesn't.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Leuteus

Post by Leuteus » Wed Jul 25, 2018 7:26 pm

I found the ideal nasal mask with a chinstrap that attaches. The problem is it was on a commercial website and the only identification was for the chinstrap, not the mask. I have no idea how to find out who the manufacturer is or if it is still for sale. I do have a picture of it, and I'm wondering if I can just query each manufacturer? I think I'll give it a try. I have noticed that the makers seem to redesign and eliminate masks regularly. I'm really interested in an all in one unit.

I've been on CPAP for 19 years, and I've had every kind of mask you can imagine, a new and different one every six months since I've been on Medicare (2010). I'm currently using both a chinstrap and my mask, and it's difficult to keep the whole thing on my face.

Since I have altered every piece of headgear I've ever owned (they were all too big), maybe I'll make my own. I have several chinstraps that I can cut to pieces and resew. Does anybody else make their own stuff? I've had to make covers for some of my masks, since the silicone irritates my skin, maybe I'll just remake the headgear to include the chinstrap, then when Medicare gives me a new mask, it'll fit all the time.

Muse-Inc

Post by Muse-Inc » Sat Jul 28, 2018 11:15 pm

JimW159 wrote:
Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:51 pm
1) Optilife Nasal Pillow and CradleCushion CPAP Mask
2) Hybrid Full Face CPAP Mask
My sleep study used the OptiLife and that's what I used for about 2 years -- very nice mask. Then I became a mouth breather and choose to migrate to the Hybrid mask which I've used since 2009. It comes with 3 sizes of pillows and oral cushions AND has a chin flap. Click on it in my signature to see it. Works well with low or high pressures.

ResMed S9 range 9.8-17, RespCare Hybrid FFM
Never, never, never, never say never.