F&P Brevida

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
squid13

Re: F&P Brevida

Post by squid13 » Thu Jan 19, 2017 3:56 pm

It works out to about $124 in our money plus shipping. I think they had a promo code you could use at checkout.

US Navy Retired 1973,AirCurve 10 ASV, Mode: ASV Auto, Min EPAP: 7.2, Max EPAP: 15.0, Min PS:4.0, Max PS: 15.0, Mask ResMed Airtouch F20, Backup: (2) AirCurve 10 ASV

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Tue Jan 24, 2017 7:10 pm

I got my hands on a Brevida today. Someone tried it and didn't like it and offered it to me.

Will use it tonight and offer my thoughts tomorrow. It does fit a little bit like the Pilairo did around the nose but isn't nearly as big nor as annoying as I found the Pilairo. Feels good against the nostrils...nice and snug but very, very soft against the skin which is a definite plus. I have put it on but not hooked it up to pressure yet. The headgear is adjustable but does remind me of the P10 headgear.

Going to pay special attention to comfort and vent noise.

Off hand with the way it sort of snugs around the end of the nose I expect it will be fairly stable even with my notorious loose adjusting of the headgear (the way I wear all nasal pillow masks...loose, loose and more loose).

It feels like silk against my skin...the silicone is ultra thin and soft.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Wed Jan 25, 2017 10:41 am

Pugsy wrote:Going to pay special attention to comfort and vent noise.
Quick report on last night.
Vent noise was non existent and the diffuser really blocks that air flow out the vent holes. With my hand about 1 inch from the vent I can barely feel the air being vented. That's the way it is with my P10.

Super comfy. Woke up with moisture around the mask and on my nostrils. Not enough to be a rain out issue but a potential for rain out in the nasal pillow. Not unusual for me with my preferred high humidity setting and the cold bed room ambient temps.
Most likely it was the moisture in my own exhaled breath that was condensing a bit. The pillow silicone is so thin that the air in the nasal pillow simply cools to the point it can't hold onto the moisture. Easy fix...I just need to increase the hose air temp. It got cold last night and I had the house thermostat set to 60. I have some room to increase the hose air temp in an effort to keep the air in the nasal pillow a little warmer so the chance of condensation happening should be lessened. It really wasn't that much of a problem though...didn't cause me to wake up and was more like "I am awake now and I noticed the moisture only when I removed the mask"

I liked it well enough to continue the experiment tonight.
It's a nice little mask. I kinda like it. It does touch the skin more than the P10 but it is so soft and silky feeling that it "disappeared" pretty quickly on my nose meaning I didn't notice it.
Just goes to show you that one man's trash is another man's treasure. The person that gave this mask to me hated it so much that they didn't want to pursue trying to make it work and I really like it.

Strap mark on the check that was laying against the bed pillow. Not unusual for me as a wrinkle in the pillow case will give me a mark too. It's just me. I may put my padacheck strap covers from my P10 on the straps tonight or I might just wait.

It does feel "different" on the nose because it sort of envelopes the end of the nose sort of like a nasal cushion (Swift FX Nano is very similar in size) but it's so soft and silky that it really isn't all that noticeable.
Some people will equate this to "flimsy" but for me it's an advantage and not disadvantage.
It is "softer" than the P10 pillow. With the way it sort of envelopes the nose it seals really well and doesn't move around at all even with my loose strap adjustments. I can see it being a definite advantage for people who find that nasal pillows sometimes cause some nostril discomfort and it might be a bit more forgiving for those who tend to tighten the straps a bit more than is really needed.

I didn't get the ballooning effect with inhale and exhale like I did with the Pilairo (I found that was one of my main annoyances with the Pilairo) but I did notice a teeny tiny bit of the ballooning effect. Very minor and my noticing it went away quickly. I don't know if using a much higher pressure would make the ballooning maybe more of an issue.
My starting pressures at the beginning of the night (when a person is more apt to notice this stuff) are only 6/9 but I do go well into the high teens during the night. I slept right through any big pressure changes just like I do with the P10.

At any rate. I really like what I see so about the mask so far and I will be trying it for several nights to see if anything pops up that might be a problem for me.

Bear in mind that just because I like it doesn't mean everyone will like it. Remember it was given to me by an experienced cpap user who hated it. Such is the life of a cpap mask. Not everyone is going to like a mask..no matter what mask. My needs and preferences might be different from someone else's needs and preferences. Things that are an advantage to me (light, minimal contact, loose) might be a disadvantage to someone else.

The only negative for me so far is the back strap. It's not adjustable and I feel it could maybe be a bit snugger where I like to wear a back strap. It's a very minor negative though...so far. The strap didn't try to climb up the back of my head (I wear it really low down around the base of the skull) though so it may not end up being an issue.
Having the side straps be adjustable helps a lot in terms of stability. Those of you who disliked the P10 because of this particular negative might like the Brevida in this regard.

More later after I get more nights with it.
Leak line looks good. I seemed to have had a couple of minor times with probably mouth opening leaks. Not unlike what I sometimes see with the P10. I don't think the mask moved....I think my mouth opened but it wasn't for very long and I slept right through it so I don't care.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

nanwilson

Post by nanwilson » Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:45 am

I waited patiently (not) this morning for your review Pugsy and read it as soon as you posted . Needless to say I just ordered mine and now will be waiting patiently (again, not) for it to arrive at the post office. I really like my P10, but it seems I am between a medium and a large sized pillows. If I use the M, I find my right nostril is a bit bigger than the left and the pillow slides into it if I sleep with my face in the pillow, and the L leaves a mark around my nares..... . Even though, I have used the P10 for over 3 years, every mask is not PERFECT, but this one came closest to all the masks I have tried. Pugsy, you are my go to person as you know, so if you like something I pretty much will too .
Cheers
Nan
Started cpap in 2010.. still at it with great results.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Wed Jan 25, 2017 12:03 pm

nanwilson wrote:so if you like something I pretty much will too
Yeah...your needs and preferences are a lot like my own. I think you will also like the Brevida. Like you sometimes the P10 pillow just seems to want to annoy my nostrils no matter what size I use.
I wondered how I might do with the "enclosing" off of the end of my nose but I found it actually quite comfortable and the overall footprint of the large pillow not a negative (at least for me). It really did sort of "disappear" within just seconds of putting it on.

I slept quite well (for me anyway) last night but I also had experience a really short night of sleep the night before (unrelated to cpap) so I was extra tired last night and didn't take a nap yesterday like I had planned.

This experiment with the Brevida was definitely better than the Wisp experiment...the Wisp lasted 90 minutes and I never wanted to try it again. Horrible night with the Wisp...yet others swear by it.

You are right..there's no mask out there that is 100% perfect for anyone...some come close though and we just have to sort through them to find out which one has less negatives for our own personal needs and preferences.
The P10 was less stable but since it wasn't horribly unstable (for me) and it was silent and the venting didn't blast cold air on hubby...and it was reasonably comfortable made it a good choice for primary mask but it wasn't perfect.
Will the Brevida replace the P10 as my go to mask of number one preference? Dunno...that remains to be seen but so far it's looking really good. That's why I like to try new stuff...you just never know if the latest and greatest really is the latest and greatest.

Still not going down the full face latest and greatest F20 experiment road though. No desire there. I just don't like full face masks. I don't do well with anything touching the nasal bridge area where my glasses sit.
I could use the Respironics hybrid type..the Amara View if I absolutely just had to use a full face mask but so far in nearly 8 years I haven't been put in that situation yet. I am going to stick with my own preferences and needs...light, minimal headgear, comfortable, no vent noise, no annoying venting onto spouse, nothing touching may nasal bridge area...that's what I look for right now.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Fri Jan 27, 2017 9:59 am

Two more nights with the Brevida. No software report on night 2 (some dummy left the SD card in her computer) but I got a report from last night.
No big leaks at all and slept quite well (for me) with the Brevida. Increasing the hose air temp to 86 degrees seems to have helped a lot with the moisture on my nose in the morning. There might be a tiny bit of moisture there but not enough to cause discomfort or wake me up so I don't care.

Word of caution...it's real easy for those pillows to invert and they are a bit difficult to bring back out. I had that happen the second night.
I put it on and just felt weird so I took it off an looked at it more closely and saw that the pillows (both of them) were inverted. Have no idea how that happened. It's a bitch trying to grab the pillows and pull them back out but I did it. I didn't think to pull the pillow out of the frame and go in from the back.

So far the only negative ...which is a very minor negative...is that back strap maybe being just a tiny bit too long for my particular head in the position I wish to wear it. It does slide up a tiny bit but not enough to cause the seal to break or really cause any problems.

Oh...I do think that the S9 is reporting the normal venting as a bit of a leak on the graph. I never seem to get the leak line totally at 0.0 when I know for sure it should be. I tested it this morning just laying there for a few minutes awake and breathing and knowing for darn sure there was no leak and the graph leak line is running at around 2 to 5 L/min.

edfreeman

Post by edfreeman » Fri Jan 27, 2017 11:00 am

^ you probably know this, but that machine will write that missed night's data to the SD card when you put it back in (at least my S9 Auto would).

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Fri Jan 27, 2017 11:30 am

edfreeman wrote:^ you probably know this, but that machine will write that missed night's data to the SD card when you put it back in (at least my S9 Auto would).
Yeah, but I get only the summary AHI numbers. I don't get any useful statistics nor any graphs at all and it's the leak graph that I have been wanting to watch with this mask with SH.
I have the summary numbers for that second night but I don't really watch plain numbers especially when using SleepyHead because sometimes the AHI doesn't match up with machine AHI because SH needs those missing detailed data files to be most accurate.
SleepyHead shows AHI 0.2 for that particular night and ResScan shows 0.3.

Not a big deal. I knew the graphs would be gone once I realized the SD card was still in the computer. I have done this many times before and I also experience loss of some detailed graphs because I don't download all that often.
The only reason I am watching this closely is because it's a brand new mask trial.

nanwilson

Post by nanwilson » Thu Feb 02, 2017 8:43 am

Received mine yesterday. Tried it a bit and it seemed the M/L blew air, so when I went to bed last night I put in the XS/S. It was a bit tight, but worked fine, no leaks and my AHI was O.48. The bottom strap kept sliding up all night and I could feel the pillow on my nose. Tonite I will use the M/L one and see how that goes, will also have to find some Velcro in my stash drawer to fix the strap problem too. I have a headache this morning, but I'm sure that is from first night mask fiddling . I feel that I'm on the fence with this one, but know that one night does not make a trend. I can't afford to try masks and discard them, so will keep trying and see how it goes in the long run.
Cheers
Nan

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Thu Feb 02, 2017 9:22 am

nanwilson wrote:The bottom strap kept sliding up all night and I could feel the pillow on my nose.
That back strap sliding up...annoying as hell when it happens but I had the same problem with the P10 and the Swift FX.
Fortunately it doesn't happen all that often so I just don't do anything but drag the strap back down when it does happen.
It doesn't seem to harm the pillow placement when it slides up...so the seal is intact.

Feeling the pillow over/on my nose...that part I got used to fairly easily. It's pretty much a non issue now. It was a bit weird feeling at first though.
I am still using the Brevida. Can't decide if I want to delegate it to number one or number two just yet.

It's like every other mask out there...not 100% perfect in my eyes. There's always some sort of something that I wish was a bit different with any mask. I just have to decided just how important some minor disadvantage might be in terms of my own personal needs and preferences.

One thing I learned..you don't breathe okay with no power like I could with the others...the cat has sat on the machine and inadvertently turned it off...the discomfort from no air moving is immediate.

JimW159

Post by JimW159 » Thu Feb 02, 2017 9:54 am

Pugsy wrote:One thing I learned..you don't breathe okay with no power like I could with the others...the cat has sat on the machine and inadvertently turned it off...the discomfort from no air moving is immediate.
Nothing will open your mouth and eyes like suddenly feeling that you have a pillow over your face. I told my wife recently when something similar happened to me "I suddenly woke up and the first thing that came to mind was 'Miss Moneypenny, you're too heavy!'" That and the image of being caught under a lifting bag while diving.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:03 am

JimW159 wrote:Nothing will open your mouth and eyes like suddenly feeling that you have a pillow over your face.
Yep.
Funny thing though...with the P10 or Swift FX pillows I could breathe okay with no power...not great but okay and have actually slept that way for short periods of time. Enough air moved through the vents to make it "okay"....but with the Brevida no way would it be "okay" without power.
Fortunately we don't have frequent power outages except for the cat walking or sitting on my S9.

raisedfist

Post by raisedfist » Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:25 am

Pugsy wrote:
JimW159 wrote:Nothing will open your mouth and eyes like suddenly feeling that you have a pillow over your face.
Yep.
Funny thing though...with the P10 or Swift FX pillows I could breathe okay with no power...not great but okay and have actually slept that way for short periods of time. Enough air moved through the vents to make it "okay"....but with the Brevida no way would it be "okay" without power.
Fortunately we don't have frequent power outages except for the cat walking or sitting on my S9.
My cat loves to jump over me and onto my shelving unit in the dark before jumping down to the floor to go across the room. Somehow she goes right onto the shelf right next to my S9, in the dark, and has never knocked into it. When I first started wearing my mask she was curious and would head butt my face, but now she will just stare at me for a while and then go back to doing whatever.

PS Min 6, PS Max 18, EPAP Min 4, EPAP Max 12

nanwilson

Post by nanwilson » Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:40 am

Day 2 - Brevida. Last night was much better, I used the M/L pillows this time. I find that this mask moved up and down more than my P10, I am thinking its the rotation of the mask/hose connection that does it. Not really a problem though, just a bit annoying. I have a headache again this morning which is not usual for me at all, I'm going to take the diffuser off tonight and see if that makes a difference, thinking its that because it doesn't allow as much exhaust to escape . I used my padacheek P10 strap covers on the sides last night, NO marks on my face from them at all ... just the usual old lady wrinkles .
Overall a great mask, I will most likely just switch back and forth with my P10s.
Cheers
Nan

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:49 am

I really need to go dig out my P10 strap covers too...nasty little indentation on my right cheek (stayed mostly on my right side) this morning.
I am not having any headaches so I am going to leave the diffuser in place...I like the silence.
I was wondering how I was going to know when I needed to change the diffuser...been wondering about that since I found out the P10 vent holes can get clogged...no reason to think that diffuser isn't going to have the same problem. So that's something in the back of my mind...when to change the diffuser and there's no way that I can tell for it to be easily evaluated in terms of getting to the point where it might be working a little too good.
I haven't tried the next size up...didn't really feel the need but I may do it later before I end the experiment.

All in all the more I use this mask the more I like it.