why do I rip my mask off in sleep and cpap questions?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
lwieland11

Re: why do I rip my mask off in sleep and cpap questions?

Post by lwieland11 » Tue Jan 31, 2017 11:24 am

I used to do that, too. I now have a white headstrap that I put on over my mask. That prevents me from taking my mask off during the night.

Also, I finally found a mask that doesn't leak as much as many of the others. It's the Simplus by F&P. Have been very happy with it.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Tue Jan 31, 2017 11:26 am

jmblack6307 wrote:Dreamapper will tell me what kind of apneas I had. However, it still has not updated yet on my app or web browser....

It's 12:15pm my time and i did set the time correctly on my machine. Not sure why it's not updated yet.
Yes. I am aware that DreamMapper is supposed to show the kind of events but as you point out...it doesn't always update promptly and we have no idea why.
This is why I recommend the software and not DreamMapper....plus the software shows more details than DreamMapper will show even when it is working properly.
DreamMapper and the on screen data is okay for a quick look to get an overview of how things went but I wouldn't go making any changes to therapy without looking at the details first and that means use the software.

Now if the AHI is nice and low and leaks are minimal and I slept well...using the limited data available from DreamMapper or the LCD screen is nothing more than a confirmation that things went well.
If things didn't go well...then use the software to see exactly what is going on and then consider available options as to how to go about fixing the problem.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

jmblack6307

Post by jmblack6307 » Tue Jan 31, 2017 11:32 am

Pugsy wrote:
jmblack6307 wrote:Dreamapper will tell me what kind of apneas I had. However, it still has not updated yet on my app or web browser....

It's 12:15pm my time and i did set the time correctly on my machine. Not sure why it's not updated yet.
Yes. I am aware that DreamMapper is supposed to show the kind of events but as you point out...it doesn't always update promptly and we have no idea why.
This is why I recommend the software and not DreamMapper....plus the software shows more details than DreamMapper will show even when it is working properly.
DreamMapper and the on screen data is okay for a quick look to get an overview of how things went but I wouldn't go making any changes to therapy without looking at the details first and that means use the software.

Now if the AHI is nice and low and leaks are minimal and I slept well...using the limited data available from DreamMapper or the LCD screen is nothing more than a confirmation that things went well.
If things didn't go well...then use the software to see exactly what is going on and then consider available options as to how to go about fixing the problem.
Ok. I'll pop my sd card out today and look at it in sleepyhead.

axxell6307

Post by axxell6307 » Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:28 pm

Well, I'm confused now. Put my sd card into my computer and first used the dreamapper software. It reports that I had a max of 20 and wore the mask for over 3hrs and also reports 6 clearway apneas.

In sleepyhead it reports different:

Average Hours per Night 02:59 02:59 02:59 02:59 02:59
Compliance 0% 0% 0% 0% 0%
Therapy Efficacy
AHI 8.70 8.70 8.70 8.70 8.70
Obstructive Index 4.02 4.02 4.02 4.02 4.02
Hypopnea Index 2.68 2.68 2.68 2.68 2.68
Clear Airway Index 2.01 2.01 2.01 2.01 2.01
Flow Limitation Index 0.67 0.67 0.67 0.67 0.67
RERA Index 1.00 1.00 1.00 1.00 1.00
Leak Statistics
Average Leak Rate 0.21 0.21 0.21 0.21 0.21
90% Leak Rate 0.00 0.00 0.00 0.00 0.00
% of time above Leak Rate threshold 0.20% 0.20% 0.20% 0.20% 0.20%
Pressure Statistics
Average Pressure 10.85 10.85 10.85 10.85 10.85
Min Pressure 5.00 5.00 5.00 5.00 5.00
Max Pressure 13.50 13.50 13.50 13.50 13.50
90% Pressure 12.90 12.90 12.90 12.90 12.90
Average EPAP 9.01 9.01 9.01 9.01 9.01
Min EPAP 3.80 3.80 3.80 3.80 3.80
Max EPAP 11.40 11.40 11.40 11.40 11.40

Changes to Prescription Settings
First Last Days AHI FL Machine Pressure Relief Mode Pressure Settings
Mon Jan 30 2017 Mon Jan 30 2017 1 8.70 0.67 Auto CPAP (500X110) None APAP (Variable) Min 5 Max 20 (cmH2O)

Machine Information
Brand Series Model Serial First Use Last Use
Philips Respironics DreamStation Auto CPAP (500X110) J1817546055AF 1/30/2017 1/30/2017

Some questions are:

Are the 2 clearway apneas bad for 3hrs of sleep? Is that 2 total or 2 per hour?
Also, why did it dip to 5 when my auto min is set to 7?
Would you ignore the dreamapper data at this point and just refer to sleepyhead?
How does it look so far and what should I raise my minimum to?

axxell6307

Post by axxell6307 » Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:38 pm

I double checked that my machine minimum is set to 7 and it still does show 7 on lcd screen for min. Is it possible it didn't change it internally without a reboot? I don't think I had rebooted the machine since setup. I did a reboot just now.

Should I sleep again with it at 7 or raise it? I must say for the 3hrs that I used it, I slept good, but something happened at the 3hr mark to make me rip it off. I remember I was all worked up. Not sure if I was gasping for air or just a crazy dream. It seems my worst apneas come in non rem transitioning from rem to the beginning of next sleep cycle. I wonder if that was the case last night and it was not enough pressure at that moment, causing me to feel short of breath and ripping the mask off. That, or just my crazy night time antics...

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:45 pm

axxell6307 wrote:Are the 2 clearway apneas bad for 3hrs of sleep? Is that 2 total or 2 per hour?
It's a 2 per hour average and it isn't bad. For all we know they were flagged during an awake or semi awake time and if that's the case they mean nothing. All the index numbers are an average per hour but we don't know if they all happened during the first hour or if they were spread out. For all we know you might have had 5 CAs get flagged within the first 10 minutes of therapy and 1 maybe later on during the night and thus the overall average of 2 per hour.
axxell6307 wrote:Also, why did it dip to 5 when my auto min is set to 7?
Most likely it's reflecting the drop during exhale that is associated with a Flex exhale relief setting.
Nothing to worry about.
axxell6307 wrote:Would you ignore the dreamapper data at this point and just refer to sleepyhead?
I don't even bother with DreamMapper at all at this point.
axxell6307 wrote:How does it look so far and what should I raise my minimum to?
I prefer to evaluate the detailed graphs...numbers give a poor overall picture.
Based on the average pressure numbers...something around 10 minimum pressure though.

However...3 hours of data really isn't enough to make much of any evaluations with. How come only 3 hours with the machine?

You need to learn how to post the detailed graphs so we can see what you are seeing if you want more specific ideas from us.
viewtopic/t103468/Need-help-with-screen-shots.html
https://sleep.tnet.com/resources/sleepyhead/shorganize
We don't need or want all the graphs...just the basics and if you organize correctly everything can be seen in one screen shot.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

OkyDoky

Post by OkyDoky » Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:49 pm

axxell6307 wrote:Some questions are:

Are the 2 clearway apneas bad for 3hrs of sleep? Is that 2 total or 2 per hour?
Also, why did it dip to 5 when my auto min is set to 7?
Would you ignore the dreamapper data at this point and just refer to sleepyhead?
How does it look so far and what should I raise my minimum to?
When you see the word Index that refers to the calculated hourly numbers.
Are you using ramp or a flex setting those could lower the actual min pressure.
SleepyHead is my choice.
To make pressure determinations, looking at the Daily graphs is a better guide. Follow the instructions from here. There are 3 pages so when you get to the bottom of the page click on the next one. https://sleep.tnet.com/resources/sleepyhead/shorganize
ResMed Aircurve 10 VAUTO EPAP 11 IPAP 15 / P10 pillows mask / Sleepyhead Software / Back up & travel machine Respironics 760

axxell6307

Post by axxell6307 » Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:59 pm

Pugsy wrote:
axxell6307 wrote:Are the 2 clearway apneas bad for 3hrs of sleep? Is that 2 total or 2 per hour?
It's a 2 per hour average and it isn't bad. For all we know they were flagged during an awake or semi awake time and if that's the case they mean nothing. All the index numbers are an average per hour but we don't know if they all happened during the first hour or if they were spread out. For all we know you might have had 5 CAs get flagged within the first 10 minutes of therapy and 1 maybe later on during the night and thus the overall average of 2 per hour.
axxell6307 wrote:Also, why did it dip to 5 when my auto min is set to 7?
Most likely it's reflecting the drop during exhale that is associated with a Flex exhale relief setting.
Nothing to worry about.
axxell6307 wrote:Would you ignore the dreamapper data at this point and just refer to sleepyhead?
I don't even bother with DreamMapper at all at this point.
axxell6307 wrote:How does it look so far and what should I raise my minimum to?
I prefer to evaluate the detailed graphs...numbers give a poor overall picture.
Based on the average pressure numbers...something around 10 minimum pressure though.

However...3 hours of data really isn't enough to make much of any evaluations with. How come only 3 hours with the machine?

You need to learn how to post the detailed graphs so we can see what you are seeing if you want more specific ideas from us.
viewtopic/t103468/Need-help-with-screen-shots.html
https://sleep.tnet.com/resources/sleepyhead/shorganize
We don't need or want all the graphs...just the basics and if you organize correctly everything can be seen in one screen shot.
Thanks. Yeah I need to get those graphs. However, I still don't know how to upload the screenshot? Is there a tutorial here on doing that?

** It looks like imagur will give me a url to insert. Okay I'll work on that.... Thanks.
Last edited by axxell6307 on Tue Jan 31, 2017 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

palerider

Post by palerider » Tue Jan 31, 2017 1:00 pm

axxell6307 wrote:I'm surprised my pressure need has gone up. In 2008 during my first sleep study, I was at 9.
I'll bet you weren't as old in 2008 as you are now, were you?

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Tue Jan 31, 2017 1:06 pm

If you look at the first link I posted...in that thread there is a link to posted instructions to how to post images.
I covered everything.. You gotta do your part and read what I linked to.
How to post images is also mentioned at the organization instructions website but if you can't find it.
https://sleep.tnet.com/reference/tips/imgur
You don't have to use imgur though...you can use anywhere you can host images but from my own personal experience imgur is less problematic.

axxell6307

Post by axxell6307 » Tue Jan 31, 2017 2:25 pm

Here is my imagur. To answer a couple questions, I only had 3hrs because I took the mask off when I was semi awake. I need to keep working on compliance. Also, I still don't know why it says my machine setting min is 5. I had it at 7, and it still says 7..... Should I change to 10?

[img][img]http://i.imgur.com/yL3za6jl.png[/img][/img]

OkyDoky

Post by OkyDoky » Tue Jan 31, 2017 2:40 pm

As far as why it says your minimum pressure is 5, look at whan you first turned it on around 5 oclock. It shows 5cm there on the graph. You must have increased it for later that night but the machine will still show that lower pressure until the next 24 hour cycle.
Not a lot of time to judge by but I would try 9 for a few days and see how you feel and what the AHI runs.
ResMed Aircurve 10 VAUTO EPAP 11 IPAP 15 / P10 pillows mask / Sleepyhead Software / Back up & travel machine Respironics 760

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Tue Jan 31, 2017 2:44 pm

Sometimes SleepyHead setting statistics seems to be a little buggy. Quit worrying about what SH is saying for that minimum and just pay attention to what you see on the machine itself for that minimum.
Make sure that ramp is turned off too.

Yeah...I think 10 cm minimum is a better starting point.

axxell6307

Post by axxell6307 » Tue Jan 31, 2017 3:44 pm

palerider wrote:
axxell6307 wrote:I'm surprised my pressure need has gone up. In 2008 during my first sleep study, I was at 9.
I'll bet you weren't as old in 2008 as you are now, were you?
Yep, cus I stopped counting after 35.

jmblack6307

Post by jmblack6307 » Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:55 pm

I'll use sleepyhead until I'm dialed in and running smooth. At that point id rather just glance at dreamapper. It still is not syncing data to it. I'm wondering if for that to work, a provider has to have registered my device to them? It has no provider since i bought off amazon. Is my theory correct? If not, I'll just call Philips and have them help me.