why do I rip my mask off in sleep and cpap questions?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
axxell6307

why do I rip my mask off in sleep and cpap questions?

Post by axxell6307 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 3:20 pm

I've had osa for about ten years and have never been compliant with cpap. I have tried multiple times over the years to use it and always rip it off in my sleep without my knowledge. I've tried about 6 different types of masks/pillows.

However, last night, I am happy to say I slept a full night with it on.

My theory is my skin is oily and I have leaks easy and I think it hits my eye and I rip it off in my sleep. Last night I must have been lucky. Any ideas on keeping a good seal? I'm using nasal masks. I don't need full face mask and I don't like nasal pillows.

Also, I would like a new machine. Is the apap the only one that will report your ahi's and apnea events?

Can a primary doctor write a script for me? I do not want another sleep study. I've done 3 and they are always a waste of time/money. I've even gone to a sleep study strictly to ask them to tell me why I'm taking it off in my sleep and that was a waste also.

I'm ready to give this another try and would like a new machine to detect my events.

Finally, how much will a decent apap cost out of pocket without insurance? My coverage stinks and even with my insurance, it costs nearly as much without it, so I'd just prefer to not use insurance and avoid having to have them look at my machine data to verify I'm using it, as I've heard they can make you return them?

Thanks everyone. Very helpful here.

OkyDoky

Re: why do I rip my mask off in sleep and cpap questions?

Post by OkyDoky » Tue Jan 10, 2017 4:02 pm

axxell6307 wrote: I am happy to say I slept a full night with it on.
That sounds like progress.
axxell6307 wrote: My theory is my skin is oily and I have leaks easy and I think it hits my eye and I rip it off in my sleep. Last night I must have been lucky. Any ideas on keeping a good seal? I'm using nasal masks. I don't need full face mask and I don't like nasal pillows.
If oily skin is a problem a liner might help with keeping the mask in place and keeping air from blowing in your eyes. I used one with a nasal mask and it solved the air problem. Check out PadaCheek for products that fit your mask. http://padacheek.com/index.html
axxell6307 wrote: Also, I would like a new machine. Is the apap the only one that will report your ahi's and apnea events?
No there are straight CPAP machines that are also full data capable but the APAP is the best deal because it is easier to dial in to the needed pressure and also has a CPAP mode that you can use if you want. But a straight CPAP machine only has the one mode.
Check out machines by manufacturer on this site. The 2 top brands are RESMed and Respironics. This site has a red NO on machines that do not have data. https://sleep.tnet.com/cmd
axxell6307 wrote:Can a primary doctor write a script for me? I do not want another sleep study. I've done 3 and they are always a waste of time/money. I've even gone to a sleep study strictly to ask them to tell me why I'm taking it off in my sleep and that was a waste also.
I'm ready to give this another try and would like a new machine to detect my events.
A primary doctor can write a script if they will without wanting another study. When was your last study and do you have the report along with your perscription from that study? Those are important medical records to have in hand. With those in hand you can buy equipment anywhere if not going through insurance. If you do have them they may still work.
axxell6307 wrote:Finally, how much will a decent apap cost out of pocket without insurance? My coverage stinks and even with my insurance, it costs nearly as much without it, so I'd just prefer to not use insurance and avoid having to have them look at my machine data to verify I'm using it, as I've heard they can make you return them?
You can check out our forum host for new equipment. Rx required for machines and whole masks but you can buy parts without one. https://www.cpap.com/
For gently used machines and even new open box machines look at http://www.secondwindcpap.com/ No script required. Amazon also sometimes has new machines. And there is always Craigslist if you want to go that way.

When you have a machine or 2 that you are thinking about come here and ask for input about them.
ResMed Aircurve 10 VAUTO EPAP 11 IPAP 15 / P10 pillows mask / Sleepyhead Software / Back up & travel machine Respironics 760

SewTired

Post by SewTired » Tue Jan 10, 2017 4:07 pm

If air is hitting your eyes, consider trying a Walgreens sleep mask. It cups your eyes (so not pressing). It's available all over the US which is why I mention that specific brand. ANY sleep mask that cups is worth trying out to see if it will resolve your discomfort. $8 plus tax.

Airsense For Her; Settings: range 8-12, Airfit P10 (M)

axxell6307

Post by axxell6307 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 4:07 pm

OkyDoky wrote:
axxell6307 wrote: I am happy to say I slept a full night with it on.
That sounds like progress.
axxell6307 wrote: My theory is my skin is oily and I have leaks easy and I think it hits my eye and I rip it off in my sleep. Last night I must have been lucky. Any ideas on keeping a good seal? I'm using nasal masks. I don't need full face mask and I don't like nasal pillows.
If oily skin is a problem a liner might help with keeping the mask in place and keeping air from blowing in your eyes. I used one with a nasal mask and it solved the air problem. Check out PadaCheek for products that fit your mask. http://padacheek.com/index.html
axxell6307 wrote: Also, I would like a new machine. Is the apap the only one that will report your ahi's and apnea events?
No there are straight CPAP machines that are also full data capable but the APAP is the best deal because it is easier to dial in to the needed pressure and also has a CPAP mode that you can use if you want. But a straight CPAP machine only has the one mode.
Check out machines by manufacturer on this site. The 2 top brands are RESMed and Respironics. This site has a red NO on machines that do not have data. https://sleep.tnet.com/cmd
axxell6307 wrote:Can a primary doctor write a script for me? I do not want another sleep study. I've done 3 and they are always a waste of time/money. I've even gone to a sleep study strictly to ask them to tell me why I'm taking it off in my sleep and that was a waste also.
A primary doctor can write a script if they will without wanting another study. When was your last study and do you have the report along with your perscription from that study? Those are important medical records to have in hand. With those in hand you can buy equipment anywhere if not going through insurance. If you do have them they may still work.
axxell6307 wrote:Finally, how much will a decent apap cost out of pocket without insurance? My coverage stinks and even with my insurance, it costs nearly as much without it, so I'd just prefer to not use insurance and avoid having to have them look at my machine data to verify I'm using it, as I've heard they can make you return them?
You can check out our forum host for new equipment. Rx required for machines and whole masks but you can buy parts without one. https://www.cpap.com/
For gently used machines and even new open box machines look at http://www.secondwindcpap.com/ No script required. Amazon also sometimes has new machines. And there is always Craigslist if you want to go that way.

When you have a machine or 2 that you are thinking about come here and ask for input about them.
This is great. Thanks.

Are you saying rx is needed just to order masks? Even nasal masks?

OkyDoky

Post by OkyDoky » Tue Jan 10, 2017 4:20 pm

axxell6307 wrote:Are you saying rx is needed just to order masks? Even nasal masks?
Yes. When you get a prescription have them write mask of patient choice. I think CPAP.com will work with you to get the Rx and they have a form they use for the RX.
You can buy mask parts without one but you have to know what parts it takes to make a whole mask. Like with my P10 it has a headgear, frame, and pillows to make up a mask. Ebay and other places sell parts. You can sometimes find complete masks there but the sellers may not be there long. Amazon has some complete masks that are sold there without an RX. So you just have to look around.
ResMed Aircurve 10 VAUTO EPAP 11 IPAP 15 / P10 pillows mask / Sleepyhead Software / Back up & travel machine Respironics 760

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Tue Jan 10, 2017 4:59 pm

Amazon.com has some CPAP masks and machines available....no prescription required.
https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss ... words=cpap

D.H.

Post by D.H. » Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:42 am

axxell6307 wrote:Are you saying rx is needed just to order masks? Even nasal masks?
If you want insurance or medicare to pay for it, you need an Rx. Otherwise, you still need one theoretically, but not in reality.

Julie

Post by Julie » Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:00 am

What?

What is wrong with you! The law requires companies to get a prescription to sell machines and masks... nothing to do with insurance.

axxell6307

Post by axxell6307 » Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:11 am

Here is an update. I'm trying to stay on my back because of shoulder problems in both arms. However, I wake up 2 hours after going to sleep and have trouble going to sleep again unless I'm on my side. This is irregardless of wearing the mask or not. I really would like to become compliant because I'm having more shoulder surgery in the spring and won't have a choice but to stay on my back.

Any suggestions? Are there any powerful natural sleep aides that will knock me out? I've tried melatonin and it makes me sleepy but I still wake up at 2hrs. Also tried calms forte.

Thanks.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:38 am

So...what machine and what pressure are you currently using right now? Any data available to evaluate therapy?
It's very possible that your OSA is worse about 2 hours into therapy because that's when we hit REM sleep and sometimes more pressure is needed.
Maybe this is part of the reason for the wake ups?

I don't feel like using medications to "knock someone out" is in their best interest unless all other possible culprits have been ruled out.
If your OSA is poorly treated no amount of knock out drugs is going to help and sure isn't in your best interest.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

axxell6307

Post by axxell6307 » Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:12 am

Pugsy wrote:So...what machine and what pressure are you currently using right now? Any data available to evaluate therapy?
It's very possible that your OSA is worse about 2 hours into therapy because that's when we hit REM sleep and sometimes more pressure is needed.
Maybe this is part of the reason for the wake ups?

I don't feel like using medications to "knock someone out" is in their best interest unless all other possible culprits have been ruled out.
If your OSA is poorly treated no amount of knock out drugs is going to help and sure isn't in your best interest.
Remstar M series pressure 9. Last night I wore my pulse oximeter cms50f to see my stats and it reported zero apneas during my 1.5hr nap lol. I don't think it's osa causing my arousal but worth exploring. I think whatever part of my brain that controls my sleep is just broken. I've always had sleep issues. As a child, I slept walked, slept ate, showered etc for years with no recollection of it. As an adult, the only thing I'm aware of is sleep talking, but I still feel like my brain is broken as far as sleep is concerned. Not sure if I mentioned already, but in 2013, I did a sleep study strictly to see if they could determine my cause of arousals. They were not helpful.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:24 am

Google "sleep maintenance insomnia" and start reading about all the potential causes and things to do about it.
Sleep apnea is just one of many but a person needs to make sure that sub optimal therapy isn't one of the causes.
Which M series model are you using? What are all the words you see on the machine and humidifier or what is the model number?
Some have data available to help evaluate therapy and some don't....it depends on the model.

Also read up on sleep stages. Waking after a REM stage is actually normal but most of us just go right back to sleep and don't remember it.
Others have problems getting back to sleep. The first REM stage will usually occur about 90 minutes into sleep and then as the night goes on the REM comes on more frequently and lasts longer.
You may or may not be simply waking after REM.

A 1 1/2 nap wearing a pulse ox isn't particularly helpful for much of anything in terms of oxygen levels which is all it measures.
It isn't even all that helpful if worn all night because not everyone will have a drop in oxygen with an apnea event.

And yes, figuring out the cause of wake ups is really, really difficult. The list is extremely long.
Your wake ups may or may not be related to your OSA at all and if they aren't related then the machine can't help much....but you need to try to make sure that your OSA is optimally treated if at all possible because if that's the cause and you don't know it and don't fix it...then you stand no chance at all of helping yourself.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

axxell6307

Post by axxell6307 » Tue Jan 24, 2017 2:25 pm

I am going to get a new machine. I've already met my deductible this year. Looking for suggestions here to help me narrow down my choices. I definitely want an apap and data reports regarding leaks/ahi's etc. Also, humidifier. Not sure if heater is necessary? Never had one before. Also, the ability to look at my data on my phone or pc without having to physically connect anything (is that the bluetooth mode?).

I will have to pay 20%, so I'd like to keep the total machine price under $800 or so. Also, reliability and life of machine are huge factors to me. I want it to last a good number of years.

Also, which website is best to deal with?

Do they let you get your rx and THEN choose your machine, or must I already have a machine picked out?

I read that they can put "lifetime rx" on it so it never expires. I'm going to go for that.

axxell6307

Post by axxell6307 » Tue Jan 24, 2017 2:43 pm

Well, I just found out cpapsupply doesn't take insurance. Do any of them?

What do I need to do in order to use insurance? See a sleep dr?

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Tue Jan 24, 2017 3:02 pm

There are some online cpap supply websites that do take insurance.
Verus
Liberty Medical
American Home Patient
Apria
and there are others
but what you need to do is get a list of cpap suppliers that YOUR insurance will work with and then make a decision as to which supplier to use.
So YOU need to contact your insurance and get a list of DMEs (either brick and mortar store or online) and then go through the list to see which one you wish to use.

Most of the places like cpap.com or cpapsupply or similar online suppliers keep costs low by not getting involved with insurance and waiting for insurance to pay. It costs money to bill insurance and wait for payment.

But you will have to use a supplier that has a contract with your insurance company if you want to get the best reimbursement rate.
So you have to get a list from them and then choose one and start the process.